Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On spoilers ā€¦is this Tesla Spoiler the one folks are planning to go with ? Any third party suggestions ?
I too have a LR on order and will be adding a spoiler. Yes, that is the one I assume would be added. Anybody know if that can be added at the factory or must it be shipped to the SC and added after delivery is taken?

On a side note, I was monkeying with the Model S configurator this morning. If you choose Plaid with Wood accents, it shows June delivery estimate. If you switch the config to Carbon Fiber, it changes to August delivery. Strange. Is there now also a global CF shortage? :)

Last edited:
Idle, uninformed speculation [1] based on the latest video:

In the last several videos there have been smurfloads of MSs piled up, stashed in random places, as well as a large and growing (?) number of castings. The cars started stacking up around the time that everyone started getting June delivery windows; so it seems like Tesla felt like the production line was solid and they were ready to ship those cars.

... But then they didn't? Maybe there were killer quality issues, or missing parts, but they made a bunch of cars and decided they couldn't ship them. June dates mostly disappeared. The stashed MSs suddenly got dumped to the logistics yard, then off to ... some other parking lot nearby, rather than 'round the country, so whatever the issue is, it's not something they seem to feel confident that the local centers can handle.

There are still huge piles of castings (Model S? X? Others? Not sure how to tell) but those piles don't seem to be shrinking, and though there are still a bunch of MSs at the factory, they weren't in the Logistics lot (aside from a handful of stragglers). In the dust lot by the railroad tracks, aside from the stacks of castings, there were a few new MSs; maybe it's a dust ingress testing area šŸ˜…

Based on delivery windows mostly disappearing, and the cars being moved to a rented lot rather than delivery centers, it seems likely that there's some hardware issue that needs addressing [2] still, and it's complex enough that it has to happen at the factory. Which also suggests that all of the cars at the rented lot will have to go back to the factory and be refitted before shipping out. If they indeed aren't making new MS cars, which might be debatable (were bunch of MSs at the factory new builds, or did they just not get send off yet?) that also suggests that they either a) don't have a solution for what is wrong, or b) do have one but it's far enough away that they aren't making new cars because they'll run into the same storage problem.

Alternatively there's a safety or regulatory concern, e.g. with the battery, and they don't want to ship out a bunch of cars that then have to come back, but if it's that I'd imagine that it's something major, like the battery pack. I doubt this though; not for any good reason I'm just more convinced by the quality explanation. Whatever is wrong/missing clearly doesn't prevent them from driving but it's bad enough that they aren't sending them very far from the factory.

Anyway my hot take is that they made a bunch of cars using the production line, but something is Bad, so they stopped doing that and have to hold on to what they built until a fix is done, approved, and installed, so my MSM/Cream/19" S that I ordered in December will ship a month or so after the cars in that rented lot start showing up on trucks back in the Logistics lot. September? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I don't think it'll be June, or even July; if it was that soon I'd expect to see more MSs being produced. The piles of castings do suggest that whenever they're ready to deliver cars, they'll be able to supply multiple shifts with parts to make a lot of cars quickly.

On the plus side, I'm not in any particular hurry ...

[1] that's what we do here, right?
[2] "tweaking"
Exactly what I was thinking :D :D

Last edited: