Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the requirement (of any car) that I still must pay full attention at all times/must always be the one in control? Defeats a large part of the purpose/benefit of "Full Self Driving". FSD was billed to me as just that: FULL self driving. And all that was touted with that.

And I honestly dont see the above (having to be the one in full control at all times) changing anytime soon, certainly not within the next 5 years (minimum) in the USA. And my guess is that when it does get to a point where the driver doesnt have to be in full control? It will start off as certain highways only. I cant see city situations where it can be full autonomous anytime in the next 10 years. Not with current hardware

For me, the requirement (of any car) that I still must pay full attention at all times/must always be the one in control? Defeats a large part of the purpose/benefit of "Full Self Driving". FSD was billed to me as just that: FULL self driving. And all that was touted with that.

And I honestly dont see the above (having to be the one in full control at all times) changing anytime soon, certainly not within the next 5 years (minimum) in the USA. And my guess is that when it does get to a point where the driver doesnt have to be in full control? It will start off as certain highways only. I cant see city situations where it can be full autonomous anytime in the next 10 years. Not with current hardware
Do you have any experience using it? There's a big difference in owning the liability of what the car does and it's actual ability to drive without intervention.

View attachment 725540My delivery appointment in my account has been set on the MSLR to Friday afternoon at 4. I’m going to change it as Happy Hour starts at 4 and coincides with Rush Hour.
The Tesla was built in May, so I’m guessing that one of Elon’s girlfriends has been driving it or it was sitting on the Tesla lot accumulating dust. I’m not inclined to accept it, but I’ll look at it and decide then.

Meanwhile, I’m walking my peacock 🦚 on my lunch hour dreaming of having a Tesla.
You're George Wills younger brother????

Last edited:
Well I've been lurking here since I ordered my Plaid back in June - took delivery today so I figure it's time to finally contribute!

I'm in the Denver area. Ordered June 13th of this year, RN11514, Blue with White/CF interior, 19" wheels for lease. Showed estimated delivery in June (lol) for all of June, then went blank July 1st. I think it was mid-August when I got a date again; December-January. Within a week that had changed to mid-November through mid-December, and fairly quickly (I wasn't checking super often) adjusted to October 14th-November 3rd.

Unfortunately I had a trip scheduled for last week, so I was actually pleased when, on October 15th, it fell back to October 28th-November 23rd. Naturally then, on the 18th I got a VIN with a delivery estimate of October 19th-24th, pretty much the exact timing of my trip. Luckily the first available delivery date ended up being today, and although I got a call from the Delivery Center on the 20th to ask if I wanted to pick up early, today worked out and I didn't end up having to wait longer. VIN for ref was MF451, so a bit earlier a build than some others taking delivery now.

So I drive out to the delivery center at 10am this morning, armed with the excellent PDF checklist from the consolidated delivery issues thread (thanks @MarcG and the many others who contributed to that!) but also not feeling super picky, to be honest - I didn't intend to refuse delivery over a small problem or two.

Arrived at 9:50am, having completed all the pre-delivery steps. Took them about 5 minutes to pull it around. While the SA was ensuring that it was set up so I could confirm delivery, I did the walk around of the exterior. Only one real issue, a bit of the rubber seal that ran along the bottom of the front driver's door was not properly seated; SA easily fixed. There was a piece of protective white film under the seal at the bottom of the driver's door, which was also fixed. I got the white interior and you could clearly see a bit of light remaining dirt from where someone had placed their hands. The center armrest was also a bit dirty. I was able to clear some of it with just my fingers, so I wasn't concerned, as I planned to clean it up myself when I got home anyway. Three pieces of paper to sign and that was it, great experience.

And...that was it, no other problems I've been able to locate so far, just when I got home I noticed a bit of leftover adhesive under the liftgate by the left side light assembly, but so far nothing else. Ran it through a touchless carwash with no leaking issues. Mirror/door handle motors are a bit noisier than I expected but nothing outrageous.

It's a monster on the road, but really solid, so cruising at 60 does not feel like 60 (and much higher speeds feel deceptively slower, too). Brake pedal takes more force than I expected, but just something to get used to. I was feeling pretty used to the yoke by the time I got back to the house; likewise the turn signal buttons were not tough to adjust to. I'll withhold additional judgement until I've driven a bit more, but my feeling right now is that while the yoke isn't really an improvement over a wheel for me, it isn't a step back either. Overall I'm extremely happy with the car for the bit that I've driven it!

Thanks again to everyone here for the great information and discussion, this is my first EV so I learned a whole lot just reading the forums!

Well I've been lurking here since I ordered my Plaid back in June - took delivery today so I figure it's time to finally contribute!

I'm in the Denver area. Ordered June 13th of this year, RN11514, Blue with White/CF interior, 19" wheels for lease. Showed estimated delivery in June (lol) for all of June, then went blank July 1st. I think it was mid-August when I got a date again; December-January. Within a week that had changed to mid-November through mid-December, and fairly quickly (I wasn't checking super often) adjusted to October 14th-November 3rd.

Unfortunately I had a trip scheduled for last week, so I was actually pleased when, on October 15th, it fell back to October 28th-November 23rd. Naturally then, on the 18th I got a VIN with a delivery estimate of October 19th-24th, pretty much the exact timing of my trip. Luckily the first available delivery date ended up being today, and although I got a call from the Delivery Center on the 20th to ask if I wanted to pick up early, today worked out and I didn't end up having to wait longer. VIN for ref was MF451, so a bit earlier a build than some others taking delivery now.

So I drive out to the delivery center at 10am this morning, armed with the excellent PDF checklist from the consolidated delivery issues thread (thanks @MarcG and the many others who contributed to that!) but also not feeling super picky, to be honest - I didn't intend to refuse delivery over a small problem or two.

Arrived at 9:50am, having completed all the pre-delivery steps. Took them about 5 minutes to pull it around. While the SA was ensuring that it was set up so I could confirm delivery, I did the walk around of the exterior. Only one real issue, a bit of the rubber seal that ran along the bottom of the front driver's door was not properly seated; SA easily fixed. There was a piece of protective white film under the seal at the bottom of the driver's door, which was also fixed. I got the white interior and you could clearly see a bit of light remaining dirt from where someone had placed their hands. The center armrest was also a bit dirty. I was able to clear some of it with just my fingers, so I wasn't concerned, as I planned to clean it up myself when I got home anyway. Three pieces of paper to sign and that was it, great experience.

And...that was it, no other problems I've been able to locate so far, just when I got home I noticed a bit of leftover adhesive under the liftgate by the left side light assembly, but so far nothing else. Ran it through a touchless carwash with no leaking issues. Mirror/door handle motors are a bit noisier than I expected but nothing outrageous.

It's a monster on the road, but really solid, so cruising at 60 does not feel like 60 (and much higher speeds feel deceptively slower, too). Brake pedal takes more force than I expected, but just something to get used to. I was feeling pretty used to the yoke by the time I got back to the house; likewise the turn signal buttons were not tough to adjust to. I'll withhold additional judgement until I've driven a bit more, but my feeling right now is that while the yoke isn't really an improvement over a wheel for me, it isn't a step back either. Overall I'm extremely happy with the car for the bit that I've driven it!

Thanks again to everyone here for the great information and discussion, this is my first EV so I learned a whole lot just reading the forums!

Now that it is all clean , please post some pics....blue on white sounds interesting.

Well, Tesla came thru with the expected Mid-Q4 disappointment, moving my EDD to Christmas. (See sig)

I keep checking this "delivery Wiki" every few days but don't have much to add since nothing has really happened since April.
Just when think things can’t get worse…

Today my delivery EDD changed to February. I’m assuming (hoping) there is some big adjustment going on and I will get a better date when the dust clears, otherwise this is a big disappointment especially when later RNs are getting their cars. No crazy spec for me, just Blue/Cream.

Oh well.

Today my delivery EDD changed to February. I’m assuming (hoping) there is some big adjustment going on and I will get a better date when the dust clears, otherwise this is a big disappointment especially when later RNs are getting their cars. No crazy spec for me, just Blue/Cream.

Oh well.
It’s very disheartening to see people get their cars with similar configs that ordered months after me. Tesla’s assignment process is seriously F’d up.

Oh well.
That has meant for many that you will get your VIN soon. Fingers crossed.

Do you have any experience using it? There's a big difference in owning the liability of what the car does and it's actual ability to drive without intervention.
Yes. I started off with EAP some years back. Paid either $3k or $4k (cant recall) to upgrade to "Full Self Driving". What I learned overall? The value of AP features was best for me/what I used the most. EAP very close second.

FWIW, I want all the driving assistance I can get - if I get tired, my attention drifts, car in my blind spot, etc. I LIKE the safety features - the wow factor is taking a nap and waking up at the destination (in this case, heaven or hell, depending upon what the scales show) but for now, ANYTHING that can help keep me from an accident is worth it's weight in Etherium. just my .02

Latest from the order page....

It claims you can order a plaid Now, and get it in December.

Color and interior does not matter, UNLESS...you want white.

In that case, it is always EDD of April, no matter the exterior color.

I did not try all the combos with 21" or FSD, but doubt that will make a difference...

Seems like not much demand for non white interiors, is that why Plaid prices did not increase this week?

Wish I could read the tea leaves better..hey maybe another product line for Elon to distract himself with, Tesla Tea?

Yes. I started off with EAP some years back. Paid either $3k or $4k (cant recall) to upgrade to "Full Self Driving". What I learned overall? The value of AP features was best for me/what I used the most. EAP very close second.
But AP. EAP, and even NoA really have nothing to do with FSD and whether or not keeping your hands in contact with the wheel(or eye tracking) will just be a formality for liability or a real requirement to keep control of the car.

Reactions: impastu
FWIW, I want all the driving assistance I can get - if I get tired, my attention drifts, car in my blind spot, etc. I LIKE the safety features - the wow factor is taking a nap and waking up at the destination (in this case, heaven or hell, depending upon what the scales show) but for now, ANYTHING that can help keep me from an accident is worth it's weight in Etherium. just my .02
AutoPilot(AP) along with all the other nannies is driving assistance. FSD Beta is having the car drive for you like a chauffeur.

While I'm glad to see Elon open the SC network up to others, I'm kinda torn about it. The current SC network is so saturated in some areas that people are waiting hours to charge. Adding more vehicles to the mix at this point in time just doesn't make sense in certain areas.
. . .
When a Tesla driver has to wait for a non-Tesla to get off a supercharger, I can see that getting ugly in a hurry.

But AP. EAP, and even NoA really have nothing to do with FSD and whether or not keeping your hands in contact with the wheel(or eye tracking) will just be a formality for liability or a real requirement to keep control of the car.
Yeah, I’m not really sure how to respond other than AP meets my driving needs and that what Elon promised (repeatedly) was level 5 autonomy function (or at least level 4) with FSD.

And level 4/5 ain’t happening no time soon. Thus, it’s not for me.

People paid $10k with promises of “car will find a parking space and park itself” and “robotaxi service by end of 2019” and instead they got a tweet from the Ceo saying “FSD’s Smart Summon is really only a party trick”.

Nah. I’ll pass this time around and stick with AP

Fool me once…