Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others here, nothing that I hate. However, it really irks me that Tesla does not do more with voice commands to control Main Screen functions. Why can't I say "Open Sunroof 50%" or "Raise suspension very high" or "Set temperature to 74" instead of fumbling with the main screen or multiple steering wheel buttons? Also would be nice to be able to access more car data and have more functionality from the app... In short, it irks me that they could do so much more with the car and they don't.

I hate everything about it.

The looks of it. The acceleration. The price I paid back in 2015. The cargo space. The touch screen interface. The «dual motor» 4X4. The autopilot (AP1 here, btw). The mobile app service. The self-presenting door handle feature. The fact that I’ve got free Spotify service. The service.

EVERYTHING

For me the wipers and washers are pretty useless (being in the UK these are used a fair bit). Undertaking on TACC is a big annoyance for me. Speaker grills rattle. The beep when you shut the trunk (probably
Annoys my neighbours more at 6am). The suspension height settings seem to get lost on updates which I remember when the car scraps I the speed bumps at the office. The full beam lights are some of the worst I had had on a ‘luxury’ car and the auto beam is useless.

Just like everyone else here - not hate, but some area of annoyance:
1. Anyone ever sat outside of your Tesla while someone is speaking on the phone? Had a long conversation in a parking lot - I was wondering why every passer by would look at me. Then my wife walked to the car and said "you realize
everybody within 50 feet can hear what you are talking?"
2. The wind noise from the small triangular glass at front window
3. Blind spot detection and more importantly, display of the warning should be better

I don't "hate" anything about the car...every vehicle I've owned has had some compromises that disappointed me, and the Tesla is no exception. I am disappointed that the user interface isn't the most advanced in the industry - but I hope, with it's upgradable configuration, that these issues will improve over time (better / faster navigation, more intuitive music controls, better control via app, etc. I am disappointed that the seats / steering wheel don't have more adjustments for us taller folk, including adjustable thigh supports, massaging seats, adjustable side supports, etc. I am disappointed in the interior build quality - fit of the panels / gaps / rattles, etc.
I am disappointed in the actual illumination of the LED headlights, as the pattern produced is not great at speed.

But, I love the drive quality, acceleration, handling, exterior styling, overall quietness, and comfort it has. I love being an early adopter of what will be the future for all vehicles, IMHO. I love supporting a young company like Tesla, whose ambitions and breadth of talent may be unparalleled in the corporate world today. And I love driving a car that actually feels like it belongs in the century I live in, as opposed to rehashed versions of 100 year old technology that has marginal room for long term improvement.

All that said, I have no regrets - and I look forward to each OTA update like a kid waiting for Santa lol

The Tesla is the last car I will ever own, simply due to its incredible technology and comfort. I am interested in what you don't like about it though?

Personally, I find it annoying that even with passive entry enabled, I am unable to tap any of the passenger handles to have only that one extend (i.e. Grabbing backpack out of passenger side and having to unlock the whole car)

Looking forward to your responses! Cheers.

Lack of real blind spot monitoring in a six figure vehicle. What I love is how effortless long distance trips are with the room and AP1

- Bluetooth is wonky - cannot connect to/from airpods without a problem, and is constantly taking the signal. If I'm on a call and open the door to get something...switch...hangups happen this way all the time, way annoying.

- It IS annoying how some lingering issues pop up w updates, like the garage door malfunction, the slacker/bandwidth issues, etc.

- Build quality is more VW than Audi...kinda chintzy honestly. Hate the black plastic feel of the tunnel compartment....cheap...lame.

- Miles remaining/charge - at this point this should be WAY more intelligent. I've had the car 2yrs, stop telling me I'm going to get 270, it will never ever ever happen. Wish the mileage on the dash was more realistic. I have to do math equations to calculate how far I really should go, or what supercharger I'll really end up stopping at, it's gonna change anyway vs their recommendation at the beginning of the route.

Love the car, but it's not perfect....feels like it can be tho with a little polish around the edges.

1. Bluetooth to phone is very limited. Even my buddy's old Buick shows contact photos on the car's screen and will read texts to him and let him dictate responses.

2. Very poor phone integration to the sound system. Cars have had "iPod controls" for at least 10 years that will recognize when an iPhone is connected and let you control it from the screen, complete with album art etc. Not so with the Tesla. And cars have even moved further along than that recently with Apple Car Play and Android Auto integration. Why does Tesla not have this?

The feature that brings me closest to "hate" is the frameless windows. They are a subset of the general California-centric design listed earlier by someone else. Definitely not practical for winter and a likely source of long-term reliability issues.

Other things that I dislike strongly enough to mention here: Ongoing audio problems, road and wind noise, insufficient heating/insulation for cold winter days, and the hard ride. All of these are things I have tolerated for 2-1/2 years (except for the audio problems, new last fall) but are wearing down my patience. One other that is what it is and can't really be fixed is the limited visibility because of the shape, size and placement of the A pillars and the low placement of the rear-view mirror. I worry that someday I will miss seeing a pedestrian or vehicle...

On to the os and app.

The ability to schedule charging start from the app rather than having to go out and do it.
Turn on heated seats and steering wheel from app. I know they heat pretty quickly but I still have to sit on a cold seat to turn them on.
Add waypoints onto journey on the navigation. It’s teally annoying to schedule a journey and the app tell you you don’t need to stop. I want to arrive with more than 18% so would like to add a supercharger stop in but can’t you have to go to one then the other.
On that note I would like to find a location and set the sat nav to it from my phone like most modern cars do.

For a car in this price range my gripes are as follows;
HVAC system is poor especially in winter
Web browser is useless
No blind spot detection worth noting
Interior materials and design
Lack of some amenities like massaging seats, storage space, interior lighting etc
Poor range( when I bought the p85d was the best you could get at that time)
All that being said I expect most of these issues to be totally or at least mostly resolved with the interior redesign coming midway 2018. I’ll upgrade then.

This is turning out to be more of a love-fest. I'm still impressed by how much people are willing to tolerate because they love the car so much.

I anticipate loving everything (even when compared to my last car - a really great Lexus) but have to wait a few more weeks for my car to arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: incrediwoah