Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought it and didn’t tell my wife or daughter. Once I confirmed download (saw sport mode on the screen), I drove us all to the store. I floored it a few times and did one from a dead stop. I noticed a very slight difference. My wife and daughter didn’t notice at all. That being said, I’ll get a refund tomorrow. If it were $500, I might keep it, but I’m not paying $2,000 for something that is barely noticeable.
I’d arrange for a service call, something is seriously wrong with your car. I’m so sorry. The good news is it is still under warranty.

I drove our Y today and played with the upgrade even though the roads were packed. Sorry to say the difference was huge. I’ve had a Stage 2 Dinan tune on my BMW and this was more noticeable. It’s silly fast. I’m driving this stealth mom crossover and just dusting people. They’re not just in my rear view mirror, they are barely visible. My SOC was 60-69%, There no way that I’m flooring this with my wife and kids in it.

Wait a second, maybe chill mode is on in yours?

Last edited:
I’d arrange for a service call, something is seriously wrong with your car. I’m so sorry. The good news is it is still under warranty.

I drove our Y today and played with the upgrade even though the roads were packed and the difference was huge. I’ve had a Stage 2 Dinah tune on my BMW and this was more noticeable. It’s silly fast. I’m driving this stealth mom crossover and just dusting people. They’re not just in my rear view mirror, they are barely visible. My SOC was 60-69%, There no way that I’m flooring this with my wife and kids in it.

Looking forward to some instrumented tests!

I drove our Y today and played with the upgrade even though the roads were packed. Sorry to say the difference was huge. I’ve had a Stage 2 Dinan tune on my BMW and this was more noticeable. It’s silly fast. I’m driving this stealth mom crossover and just dusting people. They’re not just in my rear view mirror, they are barely visible. My SOC was 60-69%, There no way that I’m flooring this with my wife and kids in it.

So with the upgrade, are there 3 drive modes now? Chill, Standard and Sport?

Try at least 90%. My performance feels like a dog under 80%.

Tesla Performance Model 3 Dyno Testing At Various SOC | Mountain Pass Performance

“The drop from 75% to 45% – a 30% drop in SOC (only 5% more than the example above) – results in a massive 64 horsepower difference! So it’s pretty clear that if you’re trying to put in some good times on the track, don’t bother unless your SOC is above 75%”.
If it has to be at 90% charge to be effective, what’s the point?

Reactions: Maryland and dbdb

I don’t think so. I’ve driven several Tesla’s including regular and performance 3’s, X’s and Y’s. My Y pulls really hard and surprises most people the first time they are in it. The upgrade is just blah. A tiny bit better, but just not worth $2,000 to me.

Not often (never). My comment was more to do that you’re the only person I can find that’s had a neutral to negative take on the upgrade. Like many I’m waiting on instrumented test data before taking the plunge.
As I mentioned, my test had two people that were unaware of the upgrade. Neither noticed a difference in a blind test.
Seems like you may have found your buyers remorse. Possible.
Nope. It’s refundable for 48 hours.

The car doesn’t have to be high SoC to enjoy silly speeds. Even at 50-60%, my car is still 90% as capable meaning 3.5s to 60 vs 3s. (P3D). The good part about the acceleration boost is that at 50-60%, it feels like 90% without it. Is that worth $2k? That’s up to the buyer.