Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contacted Tesla about the issues with this update today and they still claim they have yet to receive a single complaint regarding this firmware version.
Lol... Sunday, I called in the overcharging issue and told them to send it to Engineering and that it was not my car, but a software issue. That's when they told me it was 'because the car was plugged in too long'.

This is the same thing all the cable operators/satellite operators pull. Anything to get you off the phone.

I have to say.... halfway through a trip to Vegas.... .6.1 is by far the best AP release yet for AP2. Very smooth distance regulation, and it solved some of the previous unnecessary sudden adjustments when lanes widen/narrow.

Still having trouble with sharp curves hitting the steering limits but other than that, this release is awesome. Hands down it is more capable of dealing with borderline desert roads without a lead car better than AP1 ever did for me. Can’t wait for the big AP release.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and boaterva
vaporware-228x300.jpg

AP1 is getting better. I have found AP1 to handle the same highway smoother. Or maybe I am aging to get used to my wife or my kids driving my cars. My hands seem redundant on the wheel now.
Same. I did a comparison video a week or so back. I just had a chance to record another and ap1 has definitely improved especially on sharp curves

I'm having a new issue with 8.6.1. I don't know if it's software or hardware issue. Maybe someone here has seen this. My backup camera has had a strange display on 3 different occasions when I have gone to drive the car after sitting in my garage. Temperatures in the 60s and 70s. Images attached. The last one on two occasions.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    460.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 74
Got this update a few days ago. Smoother lane change (by a lot), less jerky in slow traffic (when set to 3-4 distance), and most importantly will slow gradually to a car at a stoplight instead of slamming on the brakes the last second.

I have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes for this build, but two thumbs up for highway AP2 performance. If I had more thumbs they’d be up too.

I just drove from Vegas to Mojave. After getting on I-15 in Vegas, made the 320 mile drive with 2 disengagements in total:

(1) car in front had a tire blowout, needed to take over to avoid tire pieces.

(2) going over a railroad track, the bump caused the steering to hunt too much on a 3-wide lane. Wasn’t going to take my chances.

By far this is the best performance I’ve seen on this stretch and I was driving over 80mph the whole way.

6.1 is very jumpy on locals. It has tried to put me into oncoming traffic and a couple concrete berms. Highway has been unremarkable but I'm not super happy.

This has been my experience with both 2018.6 and 2018.10. I don't understand the raving positive reports. It performs basically exactly as the late 2017 versions did -- and there's one part of my commute that's worse, where now it's trying to take a left exit ramp consistently that it used to only try occasionally.

Reactions: croman
Incremental change here at best, and that's coming from 17.whatever the last build of the year was.

No positive raving. No negative raving yet. I'd like to think it handles approaches to stopped traffic more smoothly, but I need more miles to form an opinion one way or the other.

This has been my experience with both 2018.6 and 2018.10. I don't understand the raving positive reports. It performs basically exactly as the late 2017 versions did -- and there's one part of my commute that's worse, where now it's trying to take a left exit ramp consistently that it used to only try occasionally.

It reminds me of 50.2. I can't stand unpredictable swerves.

Hi here’s an update on 2018.6.1 and an interesting thing that happened today 4 days after getting the build. When I got it originally highways where functionally about about the same as 2017.50.3 but side roads and flat turns had degraded some what. Now after a weekend of drivng with (autopilot on and off, calibration time?) the side roads are also very solid .then the really “interesting” things happened. this morning the small screen rebooted when I entered the car and then some real magic happened. On an ap2, 2017 car I had multiple out of lock lane “cars’ left and right that it tracked for some time. The road lock distance definitely extends farther than it did creating a different “arc’ when following turns a good thing for anticipating a curve and showing much smaller “car’ into the distance, instead of just disappearing. And I saw The lead car turn blue on and off under certain situations (over small hill crests I think ) and the icon of the in front car as it went into into a turn actuall turned on the screen “sideways” (actually angles showing a side of the car symbol I’ve never noticed that much before and at a much farther distance ) . This seem to give a better breaking response set on “3” a bit more gradual essentially knowing a car was there and it was turning into a turn. I know others have reported the blue car lock and out of lane tracking of multiple car symbols but this was a first for me. I did not see the “max’ speed limit sign . I’ll look for how these display items are on my regular commute tomorrow .

Sounds like if I don’t get the same response as others I should do a reboot of both systems after a version change , hope everyone is getting the new extended tracking distance it does help

Last edited:
Another interesting thing about some of the variability people are reporting with their drives. I was driving in Lancaster county PA a weekend ago (before I got 6.1) and the small rolling hills on the Amish roads made auto pilot do some real really bad jerks to the left (making it unusable on rt 30 and other small roads) as it crested the hills on my car at 30 that would drive perfectly all the way down I 95 in autopilot at 70 . Also lane markings due to to the buggies are a bit weak on the right side of the road making the car try to track with one line for extended periods (a real challenge) . So if you live where there are rolling hills you will wonder why we are all raving about it on flat well marked roads . I know I am pushing it on the side roads. But we all want to use it all the time.

Another interesting thing about some of the variability people are reporting with their drives. I was driving in Lancaster county PA a weekend ago (before I got 6.1) and the small rolling hills on the Amish roads made auto pilot do some real really bad jerks to the left (making it unusable on rt 30 and other small roads) as it crested the hills on my car at 30 that would drive perfectly all the way down I 95 in autopilot at 70 . Also lane markings due to to the buggies are a bit weak on the right side of the road making the car try to track with one line for extended periods (a real challenge) . So if you live where there are rolling hills you will wonder why we are all raving about it on flat well marked roads . I know I am pushing it on the side roads. But we all want to use it all the time.
Tons of rolling hills here in western Pennsylvania. AP1 And AP2 have gotten much better as of late. I saw a ton of improvement on the last update.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and croman
this is crazy — like the other poster, this morning I rebooted my IC screen and it is now showing lead cars starting from a much farther distance, probably double of before when they are just a tiny speck on the screen.

When I read that comment last night I thought it was unlikely. Now.... not so sure.