Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2018.6.1 last night. Today autopilot slows down gradually (using regen, no braking) on highway at 75mph for no apparent reason, no cars ahead. Never happened before since I got the car more than a year ago. Autosteer still hugs the outer lane markings on a curve!!

Last night as I was trying to fall asleep and the wife was on Facebook she told me that we have an update available. I got dressed and went outside to start the update. At the time the car was plugged in and charging.

After I was back in bed trying to sleep my wife told me that the charge was interrupted. I went back to sleep. This morning the car was charged, and the update was installed. She had the car now, but doubt she will use autopilot. I will use AP this evening as we have to drive to an event.

Updated to 2018.6.1 last night. Today autopilot slows down gradually (using regen, no braking) on highway at 75mph for no apparent reason, no cars ahead. Never happened before since I got the car more than a year ago. Autosteer still hugs the outer lane markings on a curve!!

Boo, was hoping it would be better. Not had an update for a while and was longing for this one to be an improvement, oh well maybe the next one

After 8.6.1 I did have a console (MCU) reboot on its own for no apparent reason. I did not report it to Tesla. Should I report it?
Several other threads about MCU reboots while in use... not right after the software install. If it happens more than once while in use, I’d call the support number.

And installs appear to have tapered off today. Hope there’s not an issue... hate these releases that go to a lot of people but not the full scale of HoHoHo! Not sure what’s up!

Prior to hardwiring it, I had this same extender set up as a WiFi repeater mounting it on the wall of the garage as close as possible to my WiFi router. In the hardwired solution ethernet cable is connected directly to my gigabit switch that distributes Internet access to all the eithernet ports in my house.
Pretty full proof and way stronger signal. A huge improvement!
Technically, your wifi signal is no stronger than before, but the bandwidth capability is doubled when hard-wired because, in wifi mode, repeaters must in effect spend half the time receiving and half the time transmitting.

Add in wifi attenuation through any walls between router and repeater, and bandwidth is further reduced.

We have Ubiquity AP's that I've been very happy with (125 Mbps down, 18 up to Comcast). I upgraded our original square one to a UAP-AC-Pro a couple of years ago (better mesh handoff with other 2 AP-Pros) and put the old square one in our garage ceiling. Better for Tesla. Better for insuring my phone works from our driveway. Better for less frustration for me.

Last edited:
OK I just drove over 100 miles from Washington state to the Oregon coast on 2018.6.1.
It was definitely hugging the left line for the early portion of the trip, but seemd to improve dramatically the more miles I put on it.
I suspect there was some calibration going on.
I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue with specific updates. After my car had the steering rack replaced it was hugging the left line as well. I brought the car back into the service center the next day and they said they had to recalibrate the camera.
They told me said that it would have fixed itself by recalibrating the camera while driving eventually.
But there was never any kind of message about calibration, which leads me to believe that the car does calibration after changes to hardware and possibly software without any notice.
Other thing I noticed on 18.6.1, which may have always been there without me noticing was that the only sensors that were displaying object detection while Autosteer was engaged were the left & right rears. (See images) With Autosteer off they all displayed as expected. Is this new?
F8E7A758-C36B-473E-8B7F-A5FB383A85CE.jpeg
A6BCC7C8-BB6E-471D-8C22-8CADFE27005B.jpeg

Last edited:
updated, still have problems with parked cars along a curvy road, it slows down haphazardly. Lane changes are a tad smoother as someone else noted. Overall though it seems to "wobble" within the lanes a little more -maybe it's still calibrating. No major changes overall.

Something else I've noticed with the auto-wipers update onward, sometimes the wipers will swipe once if I pass underneath an overpass. (100% of the time with this one overpass). Not sure what's going on exactly there but no biggie.

Since moving to an Orbi network I seem to get updates much faster (mesh) than my previous router + extender setup.

Something else I've noticed with the auto-wipers update onward, sometimes the wipers will swipe once if I pass underneath an overpass. (100% of the time with this one overpass). Not sure what's going on exactly there but no biggie.

I noted that a while ago. It looks to me like their network has learned a strong correlation between sudden changes in lighting and rain. I regularly get the same single swipe going into(or occasionally out of) a tunnel.

Reactions: cybergates
I noted that a while ago. It looks to me like their network has learned a strong correlation between sudden changes in lighting and rain. I regularly get the same single swipe going into(or occasionally out of) a tunnel.

This same behaviour happens with my Mercedes wipers as well when theres a drastic lighting change. It may be unavoidable.

So just completed a ~560mi drive I've done before with multiple versions. AP2 behavior on this version is unchanged from previous. When it's dark out, auto wipers definitely don't work well, if at all. In daylight they are decent. No MCU reboots like some folks have reported. But did get one black screen when backing up...looks like that bug still isn't fixed yet.

Reactions: caligula666
Ditto....about 200 miles later honestly I don’t see any significant change in Autopilot 2 behavior.

The only minor things I’ve noticed is that the ultrasonic sensors are slightly more sensitive for blind spot detection but not dramatically.... and auto high beams seem to dim a lot quicker for traffic.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Reactions: cybergates