Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost about 40 miles of range on my pre-facelift S90D. Remote S and TM-Spy both reported the battery capacity as 70 kWh. Took it in to service twice and was told there is nothing wrong with the battery. They said to let the battery fall below 40% before charging and it should correct it. I did that and no change. I tried nearly fully discharging and full charging and nothing changed. The second time I took it in, I showed them the screen caps from the apps. They claim that the apps were incorrectly reporting the capacity, even though they worked fine before, and even though I had no range loss before. They said to disconnect the OBD reader and try charging some more. Nothing changed. This was the last straw for me with Tesla. I got rid of the car on June 12th. They can’t be trusted to do right by their customers. I will not buy another car from them again.

Attachments

• 0CA7D2F7-2124-4561-975C-E40111611604.png
    0CA7D2F7-2124-4561-975C-E40111611604.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
You want heat detectors in the garage, not smoke detectors as the latter may go off if you also have an ICE.
I remember reading somewhere that heat detectors are preferred in potentially dusty locations like garages and attics where the dust can false trip smoke detectors.

Hmmmm... BOth ScanMyTesla and TMSpy show battery voltage data for 96 "Cells" and temperatures for 32 Cells

so a module has 444 cells in 6 blocks of 74 cells that each block is monitored and 2 temperature sensors.
Yes, each module is 74p6s - 74 cells in parallel that form one large virtual "cell", with 6 of these groups of 74 in series. 16 modules in series gives 16*6=96 virtual "cells".

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and sorka
I lost about 40 miles of range on my pre-facelift S90D. Remote S and TM-Spy both reported the battery capacity as 70 kWh. Took it in to service twice and was told there is nothing wrong with the battery. They said to let the battery fall below 40% before charging and it should correct it. I did that and no change. I tried nearly fully discharging and full charging and nothing changed. The second time I took it in, I showed them the screen caps from the apps. They claim that the apps were incorrectly reporting the capacity, even though they worked fine before, and even though I had no range loss before. They said to disconnect the OBD reader and try charging some more. Nothing changed. This was the last straw for me with Tesla. I got rid of the car on June 12th. They can’t be trusted to do right by their customers. I will not buy another car from them again.

What was your Rated Miles when the car was new?

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes it took some time to have a fair result. (maybe another OTA update)

Reactions: Guy V
2013 Model S 85, 76000 miles. A month ago an 80% charge gave me 226 miles of range, 100% gave me 250 miles. Range dropped suddenly to 200 miles at 80%. Just for grins, I tried to charge it to 100% to see what the range would be...after leaving it on my home charger for three hours, it NEVER stopped charging, but max range was frozen at 226 miles.
I called Tesla Support and spoke with Jason who advised that this was normal degradation. I questioned the rapid drop in range in a day and he kept repeating that this was normal degradation and that this was now my maximum range.
I spoke to a Tesla sales rep' who advised that "there is a rumor" that Tesla unilaterally included a range-limiting functionality in my most recent software update in order to "preserve battery life." Rep' emphasized that no official word from Tesla had been received by either sales or service. Deep, dark secret? Or "Deep Dark Agenda"?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
If anyone knows how to prevent future software downloads and installs please post here or PM me.
I'm on 16.2 and have not had any losses but not willing to take the risk for future updates.
This is completely insane

Rumor has it you unplug a front seat connector closest to the center console, and this will fail any attempted install during the install. So you're left with the software you had before.

You also can't move the seat while this is unplugged. But if you're sole driver and comfortable, maybe worth it to you..

Respectfully, your issue is not what’s being discussed in this thread. You have the classic 90 pack degradation rather than the artificial charging limit being discussed here. Your screen shot shows your cell voltage at 4.2 at 100%, which is a true 100% state of charge.

I can understand your frustrations. I'm frustrated too having lost 12% of my battery capacity due to a software update that imposed that limit. There is no defending Tesla's communication (and lack thereof) regarding this topic. It has been terrible.
Given the recent battery fires in parked cars (not charging) it is logical that Tesla would take action to find and verify solutions to eliminate this problem which seems to occur for certain battery versions. It is likely that Tesla will find a solution that prevents these fires and could also restore some or most of the battery capacity. This would be an example of doing "right by their customers".
Good luck with your replacement car.

Respectfully, your issue is not what’s being discussed in this thread. You have the classic 90 pack degradation rather than the artificial charging limit being discussed here. Your screen shot shows your cell voltage at 4.2 at 100%, which is a true 100% state of charge.

I second that. This is just a squeezed 90pack which sees a high amount of degradation. No eocv limitation whatsoever.

Ive been away for a few weeks and will check our Tesla S85 when I get back later today.
If anyone knows how to prevent future software downloads and installs please post here or PM me.
I'm on 16.2 and have not had any losses but not willing to take the risk for future updates.
This is completely insane

I’m on 2019.20 latest and no range issue. Still charging to 97% original capacity.
This update isn’t a universal range loss, it’s affecting a subset of cars.

In the followup email I received today, they now claim:

"It is possible that we may see the performance improved with future updates that will bring your range back up to where it was previously."

Since I'm lost what that means I've asked for clarification.
It sounds like they are possibly acknowledging the current limits are heavier-handed than absolutely necessary - either reducing max charge voltage by more than required for safety until they can either perform more testing, or better identify the battery packs that need more reductions for their individual condition but the software to diagnose said condition hasn’t been written yet?

This is 99.44% pure speculation on my part.

I have screenshots of TM-Spy with 2019.12.1 vs 2019.20.2.1. I gave a slight - about 0.7 kWh or 1% capacity drop within this time. I don’t know if it was 2019.16.x that caused it or “normal “ degradation.

May 22:
21CF6D22-AE95-41B5-A425-5503BC51F4CC.jpeg

June 28:
2DB2384A-8AEF-4F76-8EEB-066884E13638.jpeg

Under 2019.12.1, Pack = 78.2 kWh.
Under 2019.20.2.1, Pack = 77.5 kWh.

Tesla app reports 250 mile range (253 was the advertised range new):
4D005137-ABCD-4606-8560-CFC9170F5A8B.png

I would be very interested to see if reverting to 2019.12.1 or 2018.50.1 would put my Pack back to 78.2 kWh. I also know this is not possible unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark