Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's common

Had an interesting thing happen to me here recently. At about 80% the car stopped charging. I had set it to go to 100% so that was weird. I got out and there was a red Tesla logo. I unplugged and plugged back in and then it charged the whole way.

I did the Tesla chat and the adviser told me that some high traffic SCs have a new rule that it will stop charging at 80% and then if you want higher you have to unplug and plug back in.

Anyone experienced anything like this before???

I fully understand the 80%. Did you not read my post? I’ve always been able to move the slider to 100%. Now, when you get to 80% at Hawthorne, the charging will stop regardless of where you put the slider. You now need to unplug the car and then plug it in again. That’s what’s new to me.

Reactions: altezza2M3P
I fully understand the 80%. Did you not read my post? I’ve always been able to move the slider to 100%. Now, when you get to 80% at Hawthorne, the charging will stop regardless of where you put the slider. You now need to unplug the car and then plug it in again. That’s what’s new to me.
My apologies, I did not understand your post, apparently. What you describe is new to me as well, I’ve never had that happen. First time I’ve heard that reported.

I recently spoke to the spouse of a SpaceX employee and was told that there are many many Tesla owners at SpaceX, so no doubt the additional Supercharger stalls will be welcomed.

Interesting though - you'd think if SpaceX employees were the concern they would add wall connectors in the SpaceX parking garage? Could do hundreds of them for the cost of this supercharger.

Reactions: David99
Interesting though - you'd think if SpaceX employees were the concern they would add wall connectors in the SpaceX parking garage? Could do hundreds of them for the cost of this supercharger.
Agreed, though this site was built long before Teslas were common on the road, and there were no "local" SpaceX employees ever using this site. For all we know, there is a bank of HPWCs somewhere on the grounds. Or not. Now that SpaceX has a need for charging, they can just use the existing stalls and move everyone else to the new site. Personally, if I worked there, I would rather have a HPWC and forget about it for the whole day.

Reactions: smartypnz
As @4SUPER9 noted, there may well be a lot of HPCs in the SpaceX parking structure. I neglected to ask if that was the case. If I see that person again (and I might) I will try to remember to ask.

I don’t see this one on my in car nav anymore. Looks like the new one at target might be replacing it?
Many of us predicted that this site would shut down after the new one opened. I would like to know if maybe it remains active, but de-promoted by just removing it from the map. Or, maybe it may remain active and accessible to employees and official visitors only.