Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was an official colour available on Model S up until November 2014.
When I picked up my Anza Brown car in Dec 2014, also discontinued, a green one was being delivered next door.
I think its about the only green one in Australia.
and this one from July 2014 in Sydney - another colour no longer available.
IMG_2717.JPG

Just (overnight) charge from 240V in the interim?
That works, 12 hours on 240V will get you about 35% range back. Also when I got my S, they offered to mail my charger ahead, but I declined as I couldn't be home to receive it. I had the sparky come and pull the cables one day and he was happy to come back and do the final install on the day of delivery. I was prepared to run on 240V for a few days though.

I was hoping Tesla would add the tow hitch option soon.
Then I reviewed the UK ordering page. The tow hitch is not an option for performance.
I guess I will just order (Performance -), hoping eventually a third party will design and certify a tow hitch and trailer socket.

Any thoughts on this?

For anyone interested in an aftermarket tow hitch,this video shows an after market tow hitch and the installation process (cut the bumper).

This would be why it is only available to order when purchasing and not after as it looks like it would need a custom bumper from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3
So how many vehicles fit on those car carrier ships? 5000? Was wondering.. what if they don’t have enough orders to fill up the whole ship for Australia & NZ? They might as well fill it with the RHD vehicles that the factory has been set up for anyway- sell the additional cars as inventory to new walk up buyers perhaps? If that was the case- limiting the variability in the car options would help out there (no standard range.. interior just in black, etc...)

The car carrier ships typically take 4000.

Right now Tesla use container ships for the S and X. Three Teslas can fit in a shipping container.

Hey gang! New here and eager to get on the Tesla train as a very early reserver
What are peoples thoughts on paying for FSD capability on purchase? (doesn't look like many people are).
Also very keen to know thoughts or have a chat to people using the 3 as their baby-mobile (we have a 1 yr old).

Finally have heard about referral codes being used, so if you can hook a brother up too i'd be most grateful - please just PM :)

What are peoples thoughts on paying for FSD capability on purchase? (doesn't look like many people are).
Also very keen to know thoughts or have a chat to people using the 3 as their baby-mobile (we have a 1 yr old).

Finally have heard about referral codes being used, so if you can hook a brother up too i'd be most grateful - please just PM :)
I am a firm believer that FSD will be a premium option for about 1 year. After that anyone who wants to use FSD can just call an Uber/Tesla network/etc. FSD will be for the poor, where as driving yourself will become a luxury "feature"!

I have enhanced autopilot on my S, is the best of all worlds. Autopilot where you need it, lane change, parking features and the rest are just party tricks. Autopilot is amazing, FSD will be a long way away in Australia, then bam, overnight it will be mainstream and you'll be in an FSD car every time you have more than 2 beers!

Reactions: paulp
Got thought to Tesla customer service today and confirmed we are a low volume region and no white interior. Cannot say if/when will be available. Excepted response after Elon’s tweets and usual Tesla vagueness. Will hang off on ordering till I get some indication on the interior.
Good news is that he said it does come with the wall charger but no longer sent out early (you pick it up with the car)
Gotta love tesla international communications. Elon informs staff on twitter.

That information about the HPWC throws a bit of a spanner in the works for some new owners, it's handy to have the wall charger delivered early and installed ready to go. New owners would rather be off enjoying a car they've spent 3 years waiting for than waiting for a sparky to turn up.
Nah gives a quick lesson on controlling range anxiety

• Funny
Reactions: Hovean

Forget about including FSD with your initial purchase, you'll pay Luxury Car Tax on it if the total exceeds $72,500 you can get FSD added after purchase for the same price without LCT.
I've jsut purchased a Model 3 and I have a referral code for you. How can I PM you?

Apologies if these have questions been answered already...

1.What is the actual capacity of the Aussie Model 3 standard range plus battery given they are quoting range of 460kms?
2. Any ideas on insurance costs for M3 in Aus?
3. Anyone know if Tesla still planning to offer a lower cost product based on their data showing how much more safe their cars are?

1.What is the actual capacity of the Aussie Model 3 standard range plus battery given they are quoting range of 460kms?
2. Any ideas on insurance costs for M3 in Aus?
3. Anyone know if Tesla still planning to offer a lower cost product based on their data showing how much more safe their cars are?
1. 50 kWh for the SR+ & 75 kWh for the LR variants.
2. Varies, too many variables, ie. where the car lives, your age and driving history, start shopping around.
3. Tesla was offering SR, off menu in other markets, call in or phone the Tesla sales.

Reactions: Stratman
When I picked up my S earlier this year, I have asked for HPWC to be put in the car on delivery. They confirmed that they will do it and mailed anyway :facepalm:

I was charging from the normal 10A socket and destination chargers for almost two months and no issues. It helped that every shopping center around Norwest has a destination charger.

That information about the HPWC throws a bit of a spanner in the works for some new owners, it's handy to have the wall charger delivered early and installed ready to go. New owners would rather be off enjoying a car they've spent 3 years waiting for than waiting for a sparky to turn up.

Sure there's other charging options, I'm looking at it from a point of view of having most commitments cleared so spare time involves enjoying a car that has taken so long to arrive.