Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A ship leaves every 1.5 weeks or thereabouts. I suspect it will have any surplus container space filled with tesla filled containers.
1 for nz.....4 for aust (ok that ratio is a guess). This drip feed also makes delivery manageable across the country, and slowly ramps up the service teams.

Tesla ship arrives in NZ first and Tesla may only give Australia what is left after Kiwis takes there's first and some.

Reactions: Dakah3
This drip feed also makes delivery manageable across the country, and slowly ramps up the service teams.

I still haven't heard how they are going to distribute the vehicles. You would think that separate ships would be delivered directly into the ports in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. 95% of the customers will be in those cities or close to them. If I hear of them unloading vehicles in Sydney and then driving them 8-10 at a time on car carriers to Brisbane.. that would be ridiculous.

I also wonder if they're going to have one ship travelling to Australia full of Teslas and unloading the vehicles required in each city, or have partial loads on different ships. 500 on ship A destined for Brisbane, 500 on ship B destined for Perth, etc. This might mean that the first customers might be the ones that just happen to be leaving first (e.g. outside Teslas control). Imagine being a lucky owner in Adelaide who becomes the first Model 3 owner in the country for the sole reason that the Adelaide destined ship just happened to be the first one leaving California.

As you can probably guess from the above, I have no idea about vehicle shipping logistics.

I still haven't heard how they are going to distribute the vehicles. You would think that separate ships would be delivered directly into the ports in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. 95% of the customers will be in those cities or close to them. If I hear of them unloading vehicles in Sydney and then driving them 8-10 at a time on car carriers to Brisbane.. that would be ridiculous.

I also wonder if they're going to have one ship travelling to Australia full of Teslas and unloading the vehicles required in each city, or have partial loads on different ships. 500 on ship A destined for Brisbane, 500 on ship B destined for Perth, etc. This might mean that the first customers might be the ones that just happen to be leaving first (e.g. outside Teslas control). Imagine being a lucky owner in Adelaide who becomes the first Model 3 owner in the country for the sole reason that the Adelaide destined ship just happened to be the first one leaving California.

As you can probably guess from the above, I have no idea about vehicle shipping logistics.

Well put it this way, I think they will all be coming through Sydney. Because delivery to ACT you have the option for home delivery or pickup in Sydney according to the phone people. This makes me think everyone of the vehicles is coming through Sydney, which is further evidenced by these press cars all showing up in Sydney.

Can someone check my maths here. According to my calculations it is cheaper for me to buy a Tesla Model 3 for 73k and sell it after five years than it would be to keep my current car and sell it after five years. It almost seems impossible.

My current car is a BMW 1 Series, which is a fantastic little car and so far has been the best car I've ever owned (beating even in the past a Subaru WRX and a convertible BMW 335i).

If I keep my current car which is worth about 17k and sell it in five years for about 8k then it has cost me 9k to own it for five years.

For the Tesla Model 3 the calculations are..

Buy Tesla Model 3 amount = $73310, position = -$73310
Sell current car for$17000, position -$56310
Save on tax over 5 years $12943, position -$43367
Save on fuel over 5 years $6052, position -$37315
Save servicing over 5 years $4000, position -$33315
Sell Tesla Model 3 after 5 years $35555, position +$2241

So with my current car I am $9000 in the hole after five years and with the Model 3 I am $2200 up.

Calculations..
Save on tax is logbook for 90 days and probably 70% business use. I work from home and have to travel a fair bit.
Save on fuel is based on driving 15000km each year which in the BMW will cost $1800 in fuel and in the Tesla $600 in electricity.
Selling price is based on a report which estimates that a Tesla Model 3 will be worth 48.5% of it's purchase price after five years.

Completely throw away the math, your purchasing/leasing a car for convenience and in the case of of a Tesla satisfaction, if you want to save money make an appreciating investment elsewhere and travel on public transport/ride sharing.

Tesla ship arrives in NZ first and Tesla may only give Australia what is left after Kiwis takes there's first and some.
Well your dollar is worth more so you might as well, and I’m sure the cars prefer your PM to ours, and besides last time I was there things were looking a bit sparse on the car front since we stopped dumping all our holdens over the ditch.

Well put it this way, I think they will all be coming through Sydney. Because delivery to ACT you have the option for home delivery or pickup in Sydney according to the phone people. This makes me think everyone of the vehicles is coming through Sydney, which is further evidenced by these press cars all showing up in Sydney.
The first tesla cars in aust all went to sydney, then shipped to nz or road to other cities. More recently (last few years) the ships have been stopping in auckland, sydney, and melbourne. They are then railed and or trucked to destinations by a seperate vehicle delivery company, who did a great job of destroying a 21” wheel without touching any bodywork. The said ships would then sail onto adelaide and arrive prior to the rail delivery, but no unloading as the other cities dont have sufficient tesla infrastructure to manage the ports process.

Have you ever considered how adelaide commodores made their way around the country?

I got an email from Tesla today saying that my order had been updated.
They have taken off the cost of the pearl white paint on my SR+ because it's now included and also updated for the reduced Victorian stamp duty. Drive away price has gone from $73,489 to $70,634. Quite happy that I didn't even have to contact them and push for the reduced price, or cancel and then re-order to get the current prices.

Any new solar installations in SA loose access to off peak. They also receive a maximum of 20c feed-in, which is from origin
Interesting, I haven't heard that before for SA. Fortunately I installed solar a few years ago with a stupidly large 44c gov feed in, plus the 15c I get from AGL (origin says 10c for me here in SA). And they didn't remove my off peak/controlled load. But you may be right for new solar installs.

Interesting, I haven't heard that before for SA. Fortunately I installed solar a few years ago with a stupidly large 44c gov feed in, plus the 15c I get from AGL (origin says 10c for me here in SA). And they didn't remove my off peak/controlled load. But you may be right for new solar installs.
Yep, its for new installs. I’m with AGL on 16.3 c FIT and after discounts 32c per kwh power charge.
Origin have a solar boost plus plan that does 20c FIT, but the power charge is very high to offset it, and once I model it all out AGL is my best option. I’m a high user plus high exporter with a 30kw system. I charge the cars on sunny days so they basically cost me loss of FIT, or 16.3c per kwh to charge.

I havent heard this before either. My solar was installed about 4 years ago with controlled load remaining in tact. Solar feedin is 18c - controlled load costs 20c.
I plan to hard wire the Tesla WC into the controlled load circuit also, but a couple of things ...
- it is single phase only (although house is 3 phase). It has its own single phase meter.
- the controlled load switching box is rated at 30amps, so subtract your hot water element from this (a small 10amp one in my case) and the remainder should be available for charging (20 amps or 4.8kW in my case). A sparky may tell me that I can only use 80% of this for a constant load which could reduce it to 16 amps. Still fine.

Interested to hear if you actually have a 3 phase controlled load service - something not normally needed to run a storage hot water service. Lots to learn about charging options.

Also regarding using off peak power I rang our power company to enquire about getting off peak added as we have gas an don't have off peak. They asked what's it for, I said it's to charge an electric car. They said that an electric car is not approved for connection to the off peak supply, only water heaters. She wasn't certain about this but she was fairly sure. This is in NSW - it might be different elsewhere.
I am also in NSW and I called Energy Australia about getting an off peak circuit added and they basically told me the same thing that it is only meant for hot water systems. But without actually saying it, I got the impression that you could just tell them it's for a hot water system and use it for the EV.
I decided against it anyway cause it would have put me on a new plan with more expensive peak charge and so the small amount of money it would save me having it on off peak (I estimated with the amount of kilometres I drive per day it would be under 1 dollar a day) I would be paying more then that in peak electricity usage on the higher tarrif.
So instead I'm just going to leave it on my normal plan & that way it can charge during the day when the solar panels are at their peak.