Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe one can get more than 10 referrals, but you'd never know it. Say you're sitting at 9 referrals, and 9 more people click your link. Tesla saves your referral code as a browser cookie. It takes just one of those 9 to buy/commit for you to get to the limit of 10. But what about those other 8 people who already have your referral code cookie and then commit after you hit the 10 limit? Is Tesla going to say then "oops! Sorry, go find another referral code"? I don't think so. I don't know if the accounts have an unlimited internal counter, or nobody gets the referral credit. For instance if you get 13 "real" referrals, and then 2 cancel, you're still over the limit of 10, but wouldn't know of any cancellations.

When I rotated other codes on my site, some people got one or two referrals weeks after I took their code down... I think that's because of the lingering, persistent browser cookie.

Also, I was curious if Model 3 reservation holders (non owners) get referral codes, or only existing owners?

I believe one can get more than 10 referrals, but you'd never know it. Say you're sitting at 9 referrals, and 9 more people click your link. Tesla saves your referral code as a browser cookie. It takes just one of those 9 to buy/commit for you to get to the limit of 10. But what about those other 8 people who already have your referral code cookie and then commit after you hit the 10 limit? Is Tesla going to say then "oops! Sorry, go find another referral code"? I don't think so. I don't know if the accounts have an unlimited internal counter, or nobody gets the referral credit. For instance if you get 13 "real" referrals, and then 2 cancel, you're still over the limit of 10, but wouldn't know of any cancellations.

I think this is right @HankLloydRight.

I will add that even if you get a couple over 10 because of lingering cookies, I think if any of the 10 that got you to the top cancel you start loosing prizes. I hit 5 in the July ending program and know there were some fence sittters. I got status that one of the 5 didn't take delivery and my rims were caught in purgatory. I think they keep the extras over the top and count the cancellations against you. Tesla is shrewd with this referral program.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Last day to order a model S or X with free "supercharger enabled" included.

Referral | Tesla

To whomever that disagreed with my statement, here you go!

Ensuring Use for Long-Distance Travel
For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.

We will release the details of the program later this year, and while prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity, our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center.

These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017.

An Update to Our Supercharging Program

The M3 deposit is refundable, perhaps that's why. Thanks.

Previous deposits (e.g. Model X) were refundable too, yet had reservation numbers.

I think the speculation at the time had more to do with the fact that by Model 3 time Tesla knew they would not be following the numbers for deliveries (regional and other priorities), as they haven't in the past either, so they didn't want to give a sense of a queueing number to the reservation holders, as it would ultimately be misleading - again, as it has been in the past.

This one was Tesla learning a bit, I think.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
No, but I don't see why not. Once your Model S/X reservation becomes unrefundable, you get a reservation code.

The M3 deposit is refundable, perhaps that's why. Thanks.

Once your Model X/S reservation (on which you did place a deposit) changes to a confirmed order (you've configured the vehicle, committed to purchase, and order has been finalized a week later with no ability to change), then you get a referral code that you can share.

Model 3 reservation holders are at the first step in the process. You've placed a deposit. You haven't configured a vehicle nor finalized an order.

None of this is to say that this is how it will work for Model 3 in the future, only pointing out that under current referral code process, a reservation holder does not get a referral code. Only someone with a confirmed order for a specific vehicle configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.