Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way this is implemented seems wrong. If only buyers who take delivery counts, the scores should be based on that. Now you have a scenario where Bjorn's link doesn't work any more but the race still continues. It is still likely one of Bjorn's buyers will cancel their order or refuse delivery. If that happens somebody else could win who reaches 10 orders after Bjorn, but 10 deliveries before Bjorn. That would be terribly unfair. The right thing to do now would be to let referral links work until 10 deliveries (not orders) and add another column that shows number of deliveries. I hope for the next promotion they will stop the free car and just do the $1000 discounts. It is a mess.

Example:

Referrer
OrdersDeliveries
Bjrn3169124
Ivind333183
Peter32
Kevin41
Tam70
Nikolai40
Joe30

Just some random thoughts:

1. Maybe its intentionally setup this way so that people do work and actively try to get ten LEGIT referrals that they know personally. Right now, I see a lot of spam and people using internet methods to get referrals. I would guess personal referrals would have less cancellations that strangers on the internet.

2. Maybe it's a loophole for Tesla to not give away the prize. 10 referrals but not 10 deliveries? No soup for you.

3. It can definitely be used to game the system. Say you're neck and neck with someone. Just get your buddy to use up the other persons referral with no intention of taking delivery. Even if you lose a deposit, it's still worth it in the end.

I didn't really think about it that way, but you're 100% right. i wouldn't have seen this thread or learned of Bjorn if it weren't for the program, and I was pretty sure I was canceling my order before viewing his video (and I'm still watching, and my % chance is getting better in favor of keeping). I've now seen his "sleeping in a Tesla" video and I'm more sold.

I absolutely agree that if I buy this car, it is due to Bjorn's efforts.

I've camped out in my S a few times at KOA locations while charging. Air mattress, using Remote S camp-mode to keep HVAC on, etc. Happy to answer any Q's.

What's "Remote S camp-mode" (never mind, Google's my friend. Does it come in Android flavor?).

KOA locations... is that membership only? I never really thought about that, but I can go to an RV site with hookup and charge while I camp either in the tent or the car? If so, that's interesting.

3. It can definitely be used to game the system. Say you're neck and neck with someone. Just get your buddy to use up the other persons referral with no intention of taking delivery. Even if you lose a deposit, it's still worth it in the end.

This in and of itself is enough of a reason that Tesla HAS TO allow more than ten referrals, (with no payment going to the referrer beyond ten.) If they don't, it really does look like they just don't want to give the cars away.

I don't understand the limit of 10 for payment, since it is only for confirmed purchasers that take delivery. Do the board of directors put a cap on how many Elon can sell? Isn't the point to sell more cars? Why would you want to cap your best people? If anything, they should implement a floor, not a ceiling. Say your first 3 don't count, but after that you're making bookoo bucks. ESPECIALLY when they're not actually paying cash, right? They're paying to have you buy more of their stuff, which means it might be worth $1000 to the referrer but it is costing less than that to Tesla. The limit is really quite strange, and even more so when coupled with this supposed contest.

I think this is a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. This is typical to Tesla. Internal communication is not very good. I think what happened here is, they initially designed the system for the $1000 credits you get in your account, not for the free MX. In his last video Bjorn said 4 out of 10 people confirmed orders and he has account credits for those conformed orders. So that part works fine. Then Elon said let's give a free MX to the first person in each region who reaches 10. That would require additional programming which they haven't done.

Unfortunately at Tesla it is very difficult or maybe impossible to contact the marketing, software or web design teams. All contacts to Tesla are redirected to either service or sales. I should know because I report a lot of problems to website and marketing teams and sometimes I hear back from sales people who say they agree with me and they will try to contact that department. Once I reported a problem to Jerome and he seemed to agree with me too and said he had forwarded my message to marketing. That was 5 months ago and the problem is not fixed. I can only assume that marketing is doing whatever they want and they don't listen to anybody.

I don't understand the limit of 10 for payment, since it is only for confirmed purchasers that take delivery. Do the board of directors put a cap on how many Elon can sell? Isn't the point to sell more cars? Why would you want to cap your best people? If anything, they should implement a floor, not a ceiling. Say your first 3 don't count, but after that you're making bookoo bucks. ESPECIALLY when they're not actually paying cash, right? They're paying to have you buy more of their stuff, which means it might be worth $1000 to the referrer but it is costing less than that to Tesla. The limit is really quite strange, and even more so when coupled with this supposed contest.

Since this is Tesla it really should go to 11 ;)

But with that said, I do understand the reason for a limit. Elon told us that this is a test, and it make sense to sets limits to an test. But since it also is a competition and the rules for the competition say that they have to take delivery, they should at least also register any referrals after the limit is reached, to make up for anyone cancelling. The first ten deliveries gets the $1k rebate. Or something like that...

Since this is Tesla it really should go to 11 ;)

Actually, it seems to! Each car you sell shows up as 6 tons/yr of CO2 saved. Bjorn's listing shows 10 orders and 66 tons. But, then again Ivind3331 now shows 6 orders and 36 tons/yr, so...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I suggested to Tesla:

Firstly, let me applaud you for this referral program. I truly hope that the experiment works out, and that you continue it as a formal program. I have been ‘selling’ Tesla cars to family, colleagues, friends, and strangers I meet in car parks, since even before I first purchased my roadster more than four years ago. While you had informal programs before, such a clear formal referral program should do wonders for sales.

I would however suggest two changes to the program:

1. You should immediately and publicly crack down on people gaming the program. The intent of the program is clear - to make sales by owner referral rather than store visits. Abusers of the system, such as <SNIP>, and others that offer to give-back all or part of their $1k, should be disqualified. Such abusers just discourage legitimate owners in participating. Quite simply, when you see people blatantly cheating, it reduces your incentive to participate in the game.

2. One concern I have is that once the first referrer in each region gets to 10, he ‘wins’ and his referral link no longer works. OK, but if a single purchaser backs out later, then the referrer drops to 9 and is no longer the winner? A good example of this is Bjorn, from Norway. He is an amazing Tesla owner, publicist and salesman, and thoroughly deserves to win for the Europe region. But, if one of his 10 backs out, then what happens? My suggestion here is to allow the referral link to continue to work after 10, and to allow the purchaser to continue to get the $1k discount with that link, but to simply not pay the referrer past 10 x $1k.

I think this is a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. This is typical to Tesla. Internal communication is not very good. I think what happened here is, they initially designed the system for the $1000 credits you get in your account, not for the free MX. In his last video Bjorn said 4 out of 10 people confirmed orders and he has account credits for those conformed orders. So that part works fine. Then Elon said let's give a free MX to the first person in each region who reaches 10. That would require additional programming which they haven't done.

Unfortunately at Tesla it is very difficult or maybe impossible to contact the marketing, software or web design teams. All contacts to Tesla are redirected to either service or sales. I should know because I report a lot of problems to website and marketing teams and sometimes I hear back from sales people who say they agree with me and they will try to contact that department. Once I reported a problem to Jerome and he seemed to agree with me too and said he had forwarded my message to marketing. That was 5 months ago and the problem is not fixed. I can only assume that marketing is doing whatever they want and they don't listen to anybody.

I don't understand why Bjorn didn't do something like what I suggested below on Saturday, when he had Musk engaged. It may be hard for any of us, and possibly even someone like Jerome to get marketing to do something, but do you really think Mr. Musk would have any problem getting marketing to do EXACTLY what he wanted them to do within minutes of him asking them to do it?

Since Musk has already responded to a Tweet from Bjorn, and mentioned the fact that all ten must take delivery, Bjorn should follow up with a tweet directed at Musk along the lines of "Can I refer a few extra people, just to be safe, only getting the referral bonus for the first ten?"

I think there is probably a pretty good chance Musk would respond, and any response other than "Sure. Thanks!" doesn't look too good.

Right now I think this would be Bjorn's best chance to insure his win.

UPDATE: Good news - Björn's Android app now shows 72 tons of CO[SUB]2[/SUB]saved this year. The app equates each order 6 tons of CO[SUB]2 [/SUB]saved. In other words, he now has 12 referrals, e.g., 2 backup referrals.

Good going here, Tesla.

UPDATE: Good news - Björn's Android app now shows 72 tons of CO[SUB]2[/SUB]saved this year. The app equates each order 6 tons of CO[SUB]2 [/SUB]saved. In other words, he now has 12 referrals, e.g., 2 backup referrals.

Good going here, Tesla.

That's not good news.

Assuming it's not some weird glitch, and that it does really indicate a shift in policy, it is EXCELLENT news!

2015-08-13 Status

Seems to be Europe is decided, with North America and Asia Pacific following behind.

Here is the current status for all three regions (EU, AP, NA).

referralgame_20150813.png

Now things are getting interesting and flaw in Tesla's system starts to appear. They should not have used orders for the free Model X criteria. Orders column shouldn't exist. Only deliveries column should be there for free MX. Now the buyers of that person might take delivery first. Who knows maybe they have planted bogus buyers into Bjorn's order list. We will see a repeat of this problem in the other two regions.

Update:
Looks like this is the global list, not just Europe. Thanks to matbl and ATC@LWSK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.