Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd get a free "Founder's Series" Roadster valued at $250k. But you'd have to pay federal and state income tax on that, and possibly sales tax (state dependent). So let's say that's 40% tax you have to pay out= $100,000. Plus the $55k you paid out in referral fees. You'd net less than $100k if you sold the car new. Or OTOH, you got a roadster at about a $100k discount for a $55k investment. The ROI is good, but not great.

Of course, that's assuming the referral program runs long enough for you to collect the required 55 referrals for the free Roadster. If say you only get 30 referrals, that's only 50% off $250k. You'd have to cough up $125k to buy it, pay the 40% tax on the other half, plus the $30k paid for referrals. The ROI is still positive, but again, not great.
That's a good point, didn't think about taxes. Have the awards so far been taxed?

I was actually joking as I just assumed the sales people would not be allowed to give someone a referral code to prevent bribery and exactly what I described. I have to say I'm a little shocked it's actually happening.
Trust me, they give them out even if they aren't allowed to. I actually lost a referral because their advisor decided to put in another code, and couldn;t really do anything about it, which is why I suggest everyone with a referral code to order online

Hmm.. will going private spell the end of the Referral Program?

Without needing to report to Wall Street, will Tesla want or need to continue pulling this demand lever?

Elon spitballs these sorts of things and sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't. Taking Tesla private would be tough to do with the stock exploding like it is.

It probably wouldn't be the end of the incentive program. They still need to sell cars and their customers are their sales staff. They would be able to focus more on consistent quality without the end of the quarter push to make the numbers look better. It would also put all the shorts out of business.

Of course Elon speculating about taking the company private might be to push out more of the shorts. If the stock price goes higher, more will get burned.

Question for Hank since he seems to know everything....

last time i gave a referral prize away i just sent them the email link and they ordered it themselves (kids car) .... this time I am hopefully selling a set of wheels and there is only the notification on the phone app to order them (they don't send the emails anymore) ... I know i can send them to any service center but how do i set it up to tell the service center to install on their car instead of mine? especially when the service center is in another state... it seems also a little tricky on how to set up payment from the guy i am selling them to.. what is the best way to eliminate the risk for both parties... on a side note... the service center is in LA and I am in LA for work very frequently but would love to automate the process, collect the money and move on...

Any logistical advice would be greatly appreciated...

last time i gave a referral prize away i just sent them the email link and they ordered it themselves (kids car) .... this time I am hopefully selling a set of wheels and there is only the notification on the phone app to order them (they don't send the emails anymore) ... I know i can send them to any service center but how do i set it up to tell the service center to install on their car instead of mine? especially when the service center is in another state... it seems also a little tricky on how to set up payment from the guy i am selling them to.. what is the best way to eliminate the risk for both parties... on a side note... the service center is in LA and I am in LA for work very frequently but would love to automate the process, collect the money and move on...

Maybe ask tesla if you can gift the wheels to a friend, and have him but a deposit down before you do that, then pay the rest of it

First, I do not know everything. If I did, I would have a ton of TSLA at 290 two weeks ago!!

Second, for the wheels, I've taken full payment in advance via PayPal. I think people see on TMC that I'm a pretty well known quantity, and I have a lot at stake if I were to start ripping people off so there's trust there. You could use escrow.com to reduce risk, too.

Third, once paid, I just put in the service center of the buyer's choice when filling out the survey, and send them screenshots of the process. When Tesla calls me that they are ready for install, I just tell the SC the name and VIN of the buyer, and then the buyer arranges free installation.

I do warn the buyers that the wait could be interminable. I sold a set six months ago that never showed up. Sent Tesla an email and they never recorded the survey response. So we're now back to waiting again. The buyers need A LOT of patience. Could be six weeks or six months.

I have an AWD Model 3 on order and am at 4 referrals. I have confirmed the order before July 1st to get the free enhanced nav connectivity. I might convert the order to a Performance model if I could get another Powerwall through self referral with free supercharging being a bonus. I don't have a VIN assigned yet.

I have an AWD Model 3 on order and am at 4 referrals. I have confirmed the order. I might convert the order to a Performance model if I could get another Powerwall through self referral with free supercharging being a bonus. I ordered six weeks ago, but don't have a VIN.
I've heard that you can't retroactively add referral codes for orders that originated before August 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.