Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, that's a bummer. As we all know the whole program has been very poorly managed, but I mean, these are gifts after all, so I just take it in stride. Much like everything Tesla, they do eventually make it right, it just takes AGES. I knew eventually I would get all my awards but had no expectations of time at all. You'll get your rims, but it might not be until next summer.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth? I feel like I shouldn't complain much considering all this stuff was rewards/prizes for effort I didn't have to do in the first place. I choose to hand out cards with my code at events and take the time to talk to perspective owners, they didn't hire me. There was no contract.

Totally agree.

Anyone ordering this weekend interested in swapping referral links for the free supercharger miles?

I will DM you mine and once you get your link DM me yours and I will use it (Only the first person obviously)

DM me if interested.

Do you think we’ll be able to use referral codes when finalizing the order? I had a relative just order a Model Y who had no option to use my referral code, either. I want her to get the free supercharging miles perk (I already have FUSC so it doesn’t really help me).

Tesla's referral program page specifically calls out that the Model Y is not included. I would not expect that to change until the Y has been shipping for a while....

Hey,

Just curious if anyone who had received a referral PW prior to 2019 knew approximately what Tesla puts on the 1099s, if they actually end up ever providing 1099s? Do they list the full PW/Gateway/$1000 install credit value or something less? Working on my 2019 taxes and am trying to anticipate what my PW referral I got last summer was going to look like. Hoping someone who got theirs in 2018 knows!

Thanks!

I got some of the lower value prizes like a jacket and some luggage and never got a 1099. They probably need to give a 1099 for higher value items though and I've wondered about that, but I've never seen anyone mention Tesla asked for their SSN for a 1099.

I got some of the lower value prizes like a jacket and some luggage and never got a 1099. They probably need to give a 1099 for higher value items though and I've wondered about that, but I've never seen anyone mention Tesla asked for their SSN for a 1099.

When you get a PW2 award installed, you do give them a W-9. But I also asked around last year for anyone, and I couldn't find anyone who got a 1099 for a PW2 award in 2018. By law, Tesla has until 1/31 to send out their 1099s, so we'll see.

It's time for the obligatory.....just because you didn't get a 1099 for something doesn't mean that you don't have to declare it as income on your taxes.

Agreed. But the problem here is exactly what value do you place on an award that's never been sold or has a specific market value? Do we use the price of a regular PW2 when the award was won? When it was installed? Now? Also, there is no MSRP for the Red Signed Founders version PW2 awards, so it's hard to just make up a value for tax purposes until Tesla sends us a 1099.

Agreed. But the problem here is exactly what value do you place on an award that's never been sold or has a specific market value? Do we use the price of a regular PW2 when the award was won? When it was installed? Now?

I'd think a reasonable person could be convinced that any of those is a valid award value. Put the one you feel most comfortable with, and in the unlikely event of an audit you state your reason for selecting that value. While the IRS may disagree with you and make you pay taxes on a higher amount, they would be highly unlikely to assess a penalty on you for something like this, afterall you were being fairly reasonable in selecting to declare it as some kind of value to begin with.

Reactions: 2012MS85
I'd think a reasonable person could be convinced that any of those is a valid award value. Put the one you feel most comfortable with, and in the unlikely event of an audit you state your reason for selecting that value. While the IRS may disagree with you and make you pay taxes on a higher amount, they would be highly unlikely to assess a penalty on you for something like this, afterall you were being fairly reasonable in selecting to declare it as some kind of value to begin with.
I thought that some of the prize values were $1 because a regular customer couldn't buy them. Ex. All the signed items.

Status
Not open for further replies.