Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Tesla care? This is an effective marketing campaign at little cost to them as they only pay out if sales are made which is the goal.

They may not care about the $1k+$1k, but the X discounts and giveaways will be news, and I don't think they want to publicly reward BS submissions, they want a photo op with 11 owners. And, as I've said in other thread, if you don't even understand the concept of ethics, there's nothing to discuss, so I won't engage in argument on this one.

edit: didn't intend to attack ampup as much as people trawling Google, should have been clear about that.

Last edited:
They may not care about the $1k+$1k, but the X discounts and giveaways will be news, and I don't think they want to publicly reward BS submissions, they want a photo op with 11 owners. And, as I've said in other thread, if you don't even understand the concept of ethics, there's nothing to discuss, so I won't engage in argument on this one.

I understand the concept of ethics and don't need a lecture, I just don't understand the issue here. Folks are getting $1k in discount if they use one of those links.

Btw There are several meanings of ethics out there and certainly no one is being dishonest, are they? Now if they are then that's another matter

I understand the concept of ethics and don't need a lecture, I just don't understand the issue here. Folks are getting $1k in discount if they use one of those links.

Btw There are several meanings of ethics out there and certainly no one is being dishonest, are they? Now if they are then that's another matter
Sorry. I did not mean to lecture you, was more referring to those who are trawling. I realize people debate ethics. Let me rephrase: I believe trawlers are doing something inconsistent with intent of program and unfair to real referrers. Something I consider unethical but others may not. I'll stop at this post.

I think those Tesla $1000 discount ads mainly serve to cheapen the Tesla brand. I'd put that in the "unintended consequences" category. Elon did say it was an experiment...

You're too late, they already ran not one, but two similar referral programs for the Roadster.

Why does it "cheapen the brand"? It's hard for me to name a single service I use that doesn't have some sort of referral bonus. My brokerage account and one of my credit card providers even have double referral programs like this current one by Tesla. My ICE car dealer gives me a $500 check for every referral I send his way that makes a purchase.

Let me be clear - I don't think the referral program cheapens the brand. I would have loved to have this bonus if it had been in place since I got my Roadster. With all of the events I have done in the last five years, including a major auto show, I would not be surprised to find that I have directly influenced 50 people to buy Model S. I didn't do it to earn money, but I wouldn't turn down $50k either!

What I said in my post, and I want to be clear that this is very narrowly defined: I think the Google ads trawling for referrals have a side-effect of cheapening the brand.

narrowly defined: I think the Google ads trawling for referrals have a side-effect of cheapening the brand.

The bright side: we will see way fewer of the worst of these trawl nets after it is clear that someone has gotten "first ten" and earned the Golden Ticket in each region.

No one else will be getting more than 10K (in full-retail-margined credits) and the privilege of purchasing another Tesla car :) - at least as far as this promotion goes.

I say, if the brand is getting hawked, first make sure they are at least spelling it right!

I also suggest we use this opportunity to let a thousand CHAdeMOs bloom... if you make a couple of successful referral hook-ups, consider buying a CHAdeMO adapter for your favorite local DCFC charge point host. I'm going to.

So I go to the Tesla website today and i get a message that Jefferey has given me a referral discount for 1000 dollars.....so are people just adding peoples email addresses to prospective buyers this is really weird who is Jeffery i want to know be fore I pull the trigger

it's $25k off a Model X Founders if you refer 5, plus the $5k you get, so $30k value if you're buying a Model X...

The bright side: we will see way fewer of the worst of these trawl nets after it is clear that someone has gotten "first ten" and earned the Golden Ticket in each region.

No one else will be getting more than 10K (in full-retail-margined credits) and the privilege of purchasing another Tesla car :) - at least as far as this promotion goes.

Tesla should just offer to sell the car for $1 or other nominal amount.... just like the people who sell 5 and get a $25k discount off the Model X, no tax implications there... you don't get taxed on getting a good deal...

It never works that way. Any taxing authority will go by the fair market value of the prize, not the actual selling price, i.e. $1.

And yes, if someone is getting a $100k Model X for $75k, they'll have to pay the tax on the $25k. Tesla will likely send them a 1099 for that amount, since they'll also be writing off the same $25k. There are no shortcuts.

I participate in a local non-Tesla car forum, and I have personally met a lot of the members including this guy... very reasonable person... and this was his take on the referral program:

Tesla - experimenting with a 'pyramid scheme'. LMAO

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/29/tes.../#.efnmuv:e9i7

You'll note that the article just presents the program, it doesn't offer any opinion on it. That was his takeaway.

per Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Sales of the Model S are down for July. Maybe I have to eat crow on saying demand hadn't dropped.

2015-sales-chart-july-v4-750x511.png

I'm looking to buy and would like a referral code, but I'd like to find someone in the Dallas area that wouldn't mind doing a little mentoring in exchange for me using the code. For example, I need to find a local electrician to get my home wiring done. Local repair shop for simple things like rotating tires. Someone local to wrap the car, ect....

I'm not a car person to begin with, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone with the Model S.

Message me if you're local to Dallas and wouldn't mind giving advice! Thanks

I could really use the $1000 towards service to replace some bad bushings I have. I actually started a thread three weeks ago talking about how expensive they are to repair ($961 $961 bucks to replace bushings on rear suspension upper control links? ) so if I could just get 1 referral to buy that would help me out! lol I'm a very very high mileage driver, 75k miles, hence the reason why i'm out of warranty and need to pony up the cash. To anyone needing a referral code, feel free to PM me and I'll send you mine and answer any questions you may have. been driving mine since March 2013 so about 2.5 years for 75k miles of Tesla experience. that and over 5000 posts here on TMC haha I've accumulated a lot of knowledge I guess. also knowledgeable about aftermarket tint, wheels, tires, paint corrections, coatings, wraps, stereo, and even electrical wiring. (I do my own paint corrections with DA polisher, coatings with 22ple, wired up my a bunch of houses now for the NEMA 14-50 plugs, even made custom home made adapters for various sockets).

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy and would like a referral code, but I'd like to find someone in the Dallas area that wouldn't mind doing a little mentoring in exchange for me using the code. For example, I need to find a local electrician to get my home wiring done. Local repair shop for simple things like rotating tires. Someone local to wrap the car, ect....

I'm not a car person to begin with, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone with the Model S.

Message me if you're local to Dallas and wouldn't mind giving advice! Thanks

That's a more than reasonable request - hate all the USE MY REFERRAL CODEs with no offer of help. Lots of folks here are happy to mentor (even without the referral code) - nice that you're going to work with one of those folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.