Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today, the referral scheme has now changed. If you have a referral code, in addition to the $1000 off your new tesla, you will also get free unlimited supercharging for your car. That last part however is important as it's limited to 5 uses per referral code. I'm not sure what happens after five uses but Tesla may continue to give the $1000 off and stop giving free supercharging without notification.

Obviously, with this new limit, it's probably best to not use codes from youtube Tesla posters. However, I've noticed that people often post their referral codes repeatedly across several sites. There's a reasonable chance if you're using their code, they may have already got past the 5 referrals.

Best bet would be to use the code of someone you know as they can tell you if they've hit the limit. Failing that, there are a few lists compiling codes. The last two have loads of links so lessen the chance that someone's has been used multiple times. I've had my code on both of them for a few months and it hasn't been used once.

Reddit user compiled list that has number of referrals so far: Tesla Referral List • r/teslamotors

http://teslareferral.tk

http://www.teslareferralprogram.co.uk

If all else fails use my code......there's at least a 10% chance of me letting you know I've already got to 5 successful referrals :) Happy driving!

As of today, the referral scheme has now changed. If you have a referral code, in addition to the $1000 off your new tesla, you will also get free unlimited supercharging for your car. That last part however is important as it's limited to 5 uses per referral code. I'm not sure what happens after five uses but Tesla may continue to give the $1000 off and stop giving free supercharging without notification.

Obviously, with this new limit, it's probably best to not use codes from youtube Tesla posters. However, I've noticed that people often post their referral codes repeatedly across several sites. There's a reasonable chance if you're using their code, they may have already got past the 5 referrals.

Best bet would be to use the code of someone you know as they can tell you if they've hit the limit. Failing that, there are a few lists compiling codes. The last two have loads of links so lessen the chance that someone's has been used multiple times. I've had my code on both of them for a few months and it hasn't been used once.

Reddit user compiled list that has number of referrals so far: Tesla Referral List • r/teslamotors

http://teslareferral.tk

http://www.teslareferralprogram.co.uk

If all else fails use my code......there's at least a 10% chance of me letting you know I've already got to 5 successful referrals :) Happy driving!
So buyers should be wary about using a stranger's referral code unless that stranger is you? Kind of makes your public service post a little suspect.:D However, it will be interesting to see how the Tesla Internet stars who are making a living on YouTube will handle this possible glitch on their "business model." FYI, when I was at the Tempe store yesterday I actually asked about your concern and was told Tesla likely can/will tell the buyer if the referral code is giving them the free supercharging, i.e., has the code been used five times. But of course the program just started so who knows if that will happen.

Last edited:
So buyers should be wary about using a stranger's referral code unless that stranger is you? Kind of makes your public service post a little suspect.:D However, it will be interesting to see how the Tesla Internet stars who are making a living on YouTube will handle this possible glitch on their "business model." FYI, when I was at the Tempe store yesterday I actually asked about your concern and was told Tesla likely can/will tell the buyer if the referral code is giving them the free supercharging, i.e., has the code been used five times. But of course the program just started so who knows if that will happen.
Dude I was joking about using mine. I haven't even included my referral code. Like I said, use someone's code who you actually know. Safest bet otherwise would be to use the reddit user post. It has a column saying how much each code has been used.

I would assume the code would tell you it has been used 5 times if you attempt to use it?

I would assume a very small percentage of owners would actually get all 5. Last year I got 3 but 0 this year
I posted this issue in the general referral program thread. If all people have is actually five referrals in the 'new' program (May 19, 2017 through December 31, 2017) then all referrals are 'valid' for FUS. When you click on one, it takes you to a page where they want your email address. I assume to match up with your order and MyTesla page.

But I don't have access to the details of the new referral program. Has it been confirmed that owners get a total of five referrals total or five with FUS? If unlimited (as before) and only five with FUS, that's something different.

Some time back I received a PM from a mod asking me to take down my referral code from my sig, yet I see plenty of sigs still sporting them. Did something change?

The mods have not allowed referral codes in sig lines since the first referral rounds, but they have been spotty at enforcing it.

I would love to get some more referrals, but the only ones I got were last December. I haven't gotten any before or since. Some people's codes might be flagged and they don't get any benefits, a number of people who got a lot of referrals in earlier programs have gotten very few in the last few months. Exactly what's going on is a mystery.

As time goes on there are fewer referrals to go around per person. Early on in the referral programs, sales were skyrocketing and the number of owners was still fairly small. That gave a lot of the early adopters a good chance of getting referrals if they put in any effort. Now there are around 200,000 Tesla owners and sales are in the ballpark of 25K per quarter. That means a lot of referral codes chasing a limited number of sales.

A lot of us are probably never going to get any referrals (or get any referrals again). For those who want the kid's Tesla, it would probably be less effort and heartache to just go buy one. Tesla is also very slow in delivering on referral program awards. There are a number of people who got prizes a year ago who are still waiting. At the rate Tesla is going, your kids might be in college by the time you get the Tesla for kids.

The limit of 5 is likely more for the prizes for the referrer. If you use any referral link, regardless of how many others have used it, you'll get the discount and supercharging, but the person who referred you might not get anything if they've had 5 already.

Tesla won't stop you from referring people after you get 5 - they just won't give you anything extra for it. I could refer 5 people today and two months from now one could cancel and I'd be at 4. They won't stop me from referring others in the meantime. They want to sell cars.

You will know when someone's referral code has FUSC still when you click on their referral link and start to configure you will see FUSC as an option. If the person has reached 5 referrals and tries to configure with that code they will not have FUSC listed. I can confirm that FUSC is listed when someone clicks your link.

I have 4 FUSC referrals left as of today if someone wants to use my code:

My Tesla Referral Code

Status
Not open for further replies.