Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@HankLloydRight - I sent an email to Tesla Referral and they responded (same day no less) that they have added me to the exchange list and that I should receive my selection email at the end of the month. Basically "exchanged" solar roof token for a wall connector.

@FlatSix911 - Thank you for the info.

Just wanted to post an update to this issue. I asked about where the email was that I was supposed to get by the end of January. This was their response.

"I added you to the list and the update is that it will ship to the address we have on file and you will not receive another email. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I guess you don't get a choice between the toy car and the charger. Fine by me. That is all till April when I'll probably have to email them again.

I received the following email on 2/7.

If you really want the Mini-Tesla instead, I'm sure there are several people who would trade with you.

upload_2018-2-16_10-58-10.png

I received the following email on 2/7.

If you really want the Mini-Tesla instead, I'm sure there are several people who would trade with you.

View attachment 280820

Ok. Well that sort of sucks for me. Now I'm almost positive I'm going to have to email them again in April. I don't want the mini Tesla so I'm good on that front. Just out of curiosity, what does it say on your "my rewards" page in the app for the second referral prize? Did it actually change from solar token to the choice of car/charger or did it just stay the same? Mine still says solar token.

Just to clarify here, are you getting the Mini-Tesla, (one referral) but then swapping your Solar Token (two referrals) for the HPWC?

Sort of-- it's exchanging the Solar token from the previous round with 2 referrals for the Black Wall Charger:

2 Qualifying Referrals: Early Access Token for Solar Roof
Be one of the first to get Solar Roof with this early-access token for priority scheduling of a Solar Roof installation. If you do not use this ward, the token may be given to a friend.

Since the referrals did not reset on September 29th, anyone with 2 or more referrals at that time could never qualify for the Black WC, and only one mini-Tesla. But anyone who got two referrals after that date could get one (or two) of either if they wanted.

This one-time exchange fixes that.

Sort of-- it's exchanging the Solar token from the previous round with 2 referrals for the Black Wall Charger:

Since the referrals did not reset on September 29th, anyone with 2 or more referrals at that time could never qualify for the Black WC, and only one mini-Tesla. But anyone who got two referrals after that date could get one (or two) of either if they wanted.

This one-time exchange fixes that.
We saw several people mention they were able to exchange the solar roof token for the signature WC. When we asked, we were told is wasn't possible. :(

Congrats - can you give us some more info on who you dealt with to get it squared away?
about a month ago a person from tesla called me to schedule a delivery for the powerwalls. i said i preferred to keep one and either transfer the other to someoen else, they said no, but i could get a $5,500 credit each. Per the rep, i needed to use the credit within a few months as something about only 1 year valid from end of the referral program, but regardless i already had a tesla 3 ready to configure. I told the rep, i'll configure asap and then we can apply the credit. Rep said ok. Also per the rep, i must keep one of the 3 powerwalls. But i dont mind since i want the signed Elon one.

fast forward 3 weeks after ordering and i speak to the rep about getting everything squared away. I was also contacted by my delivery speicalist. I conference called both and they got everything going. It was a first for either of them, so it took 2 weeks between the different departments to properly apply the credit.

I would reach out to your powerwall contact first. I do not think i can share the contact to who i spoke to unless they say its ok since i'm guessing each referrer may have a different person handling their account.

You can contact the referral program email to get the ball rolling.

about a month ago a person from tesla called me to schedule a delivery for the powerwalls. i said i preferred to keep one and either transfer the other to someoen else, they said no, but i could get a $5,500 credit each. Per the rep, i needed to use the credit within a few months as something about only 1 year valid from end of the referral program, but regardless i already had a tesla 3 ready to configure. I told the rep, i'll configure asap and then we can apply the credit. Rep said ok. Also per the rep, i must keep one of the 3 powerwalls. But i dont mind since i want the signed Elon one.

fast forward 3 weeks after ordering and i speak to the rep about getting everything squared away. I was also contacted by my delivery speicalist. I conference called both and they got everything going. It was a first for either of them, so it took 2 weeks between the different departments to properly apply the credit.

I would reach out to your powerwall contact first. I do not think i can share the contact to who i spoke to unless they say its ok since i'm guessing each referrer may have a different person handling their account.

You can contact the referral program email to get the ball rolling.
We had a similar experience. At first, we tried to use the credit on solar. When we found it wasn't possible, we had 3 of 4 credits applied to a Model 3 order. It actually works out better this way since we'll pay full price for solar and then get the 30% tax credit back, saving us another $16000 or so! Add in the state and federal credits and we'll be saving $45000 total. :)

We had a similar experience. At first, we tried to use the credit on solar. When we found it wasn't possible, we had 3 of 4 credits applied to a Model 3 order. It actually works out better this way since we'll pay full price for solar and then get the 30% tax credit back, saving us another $16000 or so! Add in the state and federal credits and we'll be saving $45000 total. :)

How are you coming up with those numbers? So 3 Powerwall credits at $5,500 each = you saved $16,500 on your Model 3. So now you solar cost more, so you saved another 30% = $4,950. + $7,500 federal tax credit + $5,000 Colorado tax credit = $33,950. Where is the other $11,050 of savings coming from?

How are you coming up with those numbers? So 3 Powerwall credits at $5,500 each = you saved $16,500 on your Model 3. So now you solar cost more, so you saved another 30% = $4,950. + $7,500 federal tax credit + $5,000 Colorado tax credit = $33,950. Where is the other $11,050 of savings coming from?
$16500 on 3 Powerwalls + $7500 federal + $5000 state + $16000 ITC (solar) = $45000

Wow, that's a huge system, congrats. Puts my existing 3.5kW system to shame, for sure. ;)

Anyway, I think you're double counting your "savings".

Since you're already paying (let's just say "about") $54k, you're already getting the full 30% solar ITC ($16,000), right?

If you used your PW credits against solar, your ITC would go down $4,950. So I think that's how much more you're actually "saving" by Tesla forcing you to use the PW credit for your M3 instead of solar. (#firstworldproblems, right? ;) )

16500 on 3 Powerwalls + $7500 federal + $5000 state + $16000 ITC (solar) = $45000

Therefore all other things being equal, I don't think you can say you're "saving" $16000 above, since you're already saving that $16000 by doing nothing different. What you're really "saving" is the additional $4,950 ($16,500*30%) differential between those two scenarios.

And in addition, you'd get the $7500+$5000 state credits on a Model 3 anyway, so again, you're already "saving" those dollars either way just by buying an M3. Those don't change because of the PW2 credits.

So to properly account your actual "savings" (differential) for the all the PW2 awards, I would rephrase that as:

16500 on 3 Powerwalls + $4,950 ITC ("forced savings") = $ 21,450

If you had zero PW2 awards, everything else would still be the same buying an M3+solar: $7500 federal + $5000 state + $16000 ITC=$28,500.

Still, a pretty darn good deal, no doubt!

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.