Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the sh#t show begin. All the YouTube influencers will get another Roadster. After they get that, they will pimp the codes of family/friends. What a stupid waste.

So am I right in understanding only the top referrers from this round will win and this is not a lottery pick a ticket from the hat situation (which would be more fair to everyone) ? Also if the you tubers have won a roadster already they are not eligible to get another one will be a Model Y instead...plus a lot of them are "bowing out" of this round lol

Let the sh#t show begin. All the YouTube influencers will get another Roadster. After they get that, they will pimp the codes of family/friends. What a stupid waste.

The rules are pretty clear.. each referral gets one (or sometimes two) entries into a monthly lottery for a Model Y, and a quarterly lottery for a Next Gen Roadster. The youtubers only get multiple entries into the lottery. It’s quite possible that none of them will win anything.

Who did yo email? I’m concerned. I had 2 awards selected and in process before the old referral program died. Now I don’t see anything in my new Loot Box and my online account only shows one historic referral delivery.
I emailed [email protected]. I replied to an old email from customer support that had a reference number. I may have escalated my inquiry previously by a link on the website.

The rules are pretty clear.. each referral gets one (or sometimes two) entries into a monthly lottery for a Model Y, and a quarterly lottery for a Next Gen Roadster. The youtubers only get multiple entries into the lottery. It’s quite possible that none of them will win anything.

What HLR said! This is just like the original referral program where each referral would give people an entry into a lottery for a free S/X P100DL. Only problem is that the drawings were never public, so they could pick "anyone". Hopefully this is changed and they do an actual drawing via livestream or something this time...

What HLR said! This is just like the original referral program where each referral would give people an entry into a lottery for a free S/X P100DL. Only problem is that the drawings were never public, so they could pick "anyone". Hopefully this is changed and they do an actual drawing via livestream or something this time...

I am always suspect of these contests of chance. I just remember those McDonalds contests that I spent so much energy on as a kid only to find out that the factory making the game pieces always won. As I recall, they followed the winning pieces to the particular store and then "won" the right pieces and laundered it through friends.

I will never give up my suspicion unless it were livestreamed or a third party did the drawing.

I am always suspect of these contests of chance. I just remember those McDonalds contests that I spent so much energy on as a kid only to find out that the factory making the game pieces always won. As I recall, they followed the winning pieces to the particular store and then "won" the right pieces and laundered it through friends.

I will never give up my suspicion unless it were livestreamed or a third party did the drawing.

Ok, so even it the Referral Lottery is totally fixed and Tesla hand-picks the winner, it's still just one Model Y given away per month, and four Roadsters per year. That's only 16 winners among the (tens of?) thousands of people giving out their referral codes. How many big Tesla Youtubers are there? Maybe 10?

It's really totally different from the McDonalds game fraud.

Also, the entire cost of the new referral program for one year is what, about $1million? Compare that to the old program which is going to cost them --- many times more than that. How many Roadsters (and other prizes) were given away?

Huh. I wonder how they measure "1000 miles" of free supercharging?

That's about two days of a good road trip. Wow.

Or is it just an odometer counter? At 2000 miles, the clock starts, and you can supercharge as much as you want until your odometer hit 3000 miles? Or do they try to convert kWh charged into miles using an average Wh/m?

Huh. I wonder how they measure "1000 miles" of free supercharging?

That's about two days of a good road trip. Wow.

Or is it just an odometer counter? At 2000 miles, the clock starts, and you can supercharge as much as you want until your odometer hit 3000 miles? Or do they try to convert kWh charged into miles using an average Wh/m?
I've been wondering that myself for the past week. Does that mean the 3 gets 250 kWh, the S gets about 330 kWh and the X gets about 390 kWh? :confused:

I've been wondering that myself for the past week. Does that mean the 3 gets 250 kWh, the S gets about 330 kWh and the X gets about 390 kWh? :confused:

I think these cars are smarter than we may even realize. The car knows it's connected to a supercharger and since the car knows where it is it knows what supercharger, and the car also communicates VIN number with the supercharger otherwise it wouldn't know who's Tesla account to charge for idle fees and such. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for an odometer reading to be included in the information to get sent back to the mothership through the pilot wave communication signal between the car and the supercharger or the car could just simply transmit the information over the air when it detect that it is supercharger connected..

A good example would be those that got popped for excessive supercharging. The car is always in communication with the mothership sending who knows what information back to Tesla but I'm pretty sure they can see everything they need to. They can drill down on your car and even look at its maintenance logs and error codes and such over the air.

Last edited:
I think these cars are smarter than we may even realize. The car knows it's connected to a supercharger and since the car knows where it is it knows what supercharger, and the car also communicates VIN number with the supercharger otherwise it wouldn't know who's Tesla account to charge for idle fees and such. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for an odometer reading to be included in the information to get sent back to the mothership through the pilot wave communication signal between the car and the supercharger or the car could just simply transmit the information over the air when it detect that it is supercharger connected..

A good example would be those that got popped for excessive supercharging. The car is always in communication with the mothership sending who knows what information back to Tesla but I'm pretty sure they can see everything they need to. They can drill down on your car and even look at its maintenance logs and error codes and such over the air.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we know and assume all of that is true. But that doesn't answer our question. This isn't about how "smart" the car is.

How exactly will the "1000 miles" be counted? If it's via the odometer only, does it start as soon as the car is delivered, or when the owner decides to "start" their free 1000 miles before a long road trip?

Because either of those two scenarios will result in extremely different value to the owner. And likewise, another owner could decide the 'start' their free 1000 miles before a long trip that's going to use a lot of energy (say in the winter, up a mountain pass, towing a trailer, etc) which would consume several times more energy than another owner who gets 1000 miles in the summer in a Model 3 driving on a flat, dry highway. And that's only using the odometer.

If they don't use the odometer, and instead use a measure of kWh consumed converted to miles, the Wh/m factor they use for different cars varies greatly as well (as @MorrisonHiker pointed out), and a Model 3 with very low Wh/mile factor will get a better "deal" than a heavy Model X with a high kW/m factor. So using a Wh/m factor isn't really fair either.

That's why I first asked the question -- "1000 miles" of supercharging can mean very different things for very different people. It's not like "6 Months of free Supercharging" which is fair to everyone regardless of how they use their car or what car they own. Also, "$1000 of free supercharging" is also fair because that's measured out just like fuel at a filling station. It's not dependent on how the energy is used.

Just think that if I told someone I'm giving them 1,000 miles of free gasoline for their ICE. A Prius owner is going to cost me very little, while a GMC truck is going to cost me a fortune, so the GMC owner gets a significantly better deal out of it.

I just thought of another scenario. Suppose the '1000 miles' is odometer based, and an owner "starts" their 1000 miles of supercharging before a road trip. But due to a storm or accident, they have to detour way off of the supercharger route, and do some local destination charging to get to their location. They might even have to pay for that L2 charging. But guess what? all those non-supercharger miles will get counted as well in the "1000 free miles". The car isn't smart enough (without using a fudge factor) to know "ok, these electrons are from the supercharger, but these are not, so don't count those miles". It's a classic FIFO or LIFO problem.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we know and assume all of that is true. But that doesn't answer our question. This isn't about how "smart" the car is.

How exactly will the "1000 miles" be counted? If it's via the odometer only, does it start as soon as the car is delivered, or when the owner decides to "start" their free 1000 miles before a long road trip?

Because either of those two scenarios will result in extremely different value to the owner. And likewise, another owner could decide the 'start' their free 1000 miles before a long trip that's going to use a lot of energy (say in the winter, up a mountain pass, towing a trailer, etc) which would consume several times more energy than another owner who gets 1000 miles in the summer in a Model 3 driving on a flat, dry highway. And that's only using the odometer.

If they don't use the odometer, and instead use a measure of kWh consumed converted to miles, the Wh/m factor they use for different cars varies greatly as well (as @MorrisonHiker pointed out), and a Model 3 with very low Wh/mile factor will get a better "deal" than a heavy Model X with a high kW/m factor. So using a Wh/m factor isn't really fair either.

That's why I first asked the question -- "1000 miles" of supercharging can mean very different things for very different people. It's not like "6 Months of free Supercharging" which is fair to everyone regardless of how they use their car or what car they own. Also, "$1000 of free supercharging" is also fair because that's measured out just like fuel at a filling station. It's not dependent on how the energy is used.

Just think that if I told someone I'm giving them 1,000 miles of free gasoline for their ICE. A Prius owner is going to cost me very little, while a GMC truck is going to cost me a fortune, so the GMC owner gets a significantly better deal out of it.

my guess would be it would be just like the warranty it begins from day one at whatever miles are on the car when you get it and counts to 1,000 from there.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
I just thought of another scenario. Suppose the '1000 miles' is odometer based, and an owner "starts" their 1000 miles of supercharging before a road trip. But due to a storm or accident, they have to detour way off of the supercharger route, and do some local destination charging to get to their location. They might even have to pay for that L2 charging. But guess what? all those non-supercharger miles will get counted as well in the "1000 free miles". The car isn't smart enough (without using a fudge factor) to know "ok, these electrons are from the supercharger, but these are not, so don't count those miles". It's a classic FIFO or LIFO problem.

What you're saying isn't that difficult to figure out it's just math. my Chevy volt could do it. It used to be able to tell what miles came from the plug and what came from the gasoline-powered generator in the car. If the car has to travel several additional miles in between being connected to a supercharger the algorithms are going to know the car went further than the electrons it received from the last supercharge session would allow. I'm pretty sure that it could be done and probably is being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.