Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear Magazine: Model 3 Performance is faster around a track than the BMW M3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd take this as the exact opposite. This means that the car will feel far faster and nimble on the road to the average driver. Only track nerds will care about technical fundamentals and endurance for all day track sessions.

The vast majority of drivers just want their car to go fast from a stoplight to show off or while merging.

See your point but I think that it also depends on the area you drive around in. Europe is, for the most part, very different from the US in what regards road/street configuration. In my country/my area, outside highways, 90% are twisties, so the fun here is not at all "drag" racing between traffic lights. That is 100% not applicable to my driving in my area.

Please note that I do have MANY thousands of miles driven in the US, in all areas, so I can compare driving habits and styles. I'm actually in Miami as I write this, about to go in a 6-day road trip to Dallas with an Avis Mustang :)))))

See your point but I think that it also depends on the area you drive around in. Europe is, for the most part, very different from the US in what regards road/street configuration. In my country/my area, outside highways, 90% are twisties, so the fun here is not at all "drag" racing between traffic lights. That is 100% not applicable to my driving in my area.

Please note that I do have MANY thousands of miles driven in the US, in all areas, so I can compare driving habits and styles. I'm actually in Miami as I write this, about to go in a 6-day road trip to Dallas with an Avis Mustang :)))))
I agree. Stomping on the accelerator away from a stop light is fine and all, but i’ll take more power higher up any day. The only place my car gives up anything acceleration-wise to fast ICE cars on the track is on the straights so I much prefer the higher roll on power

That is a good point, but it's not like the Model 3 handles poorly. It handles better than 95% of all other vehicles. To do better (ignoring power) you are looking at M3s, Alfas, mini coopers? etc.

I'd like to see what lap 2, or 3, was like, but we all know that, at some point, in a 20 minute heat, the model 3 wouldn't be able to keep up - and that's fine. I am very happy that the model 3 performance I have on order, is mainly a comfortable, powerful sedan. That's what it should be - worrying about track time, generally, IMO, screws up cars.

An electric track car will be interesting. I'm sure it will be surprisingly cerebral, and I'm sure it will be faster. Mid-engine cars are faster, and more cerebral than front-engine cars, but I enjoy something with a big motor, and side pipes, more than a mid-engine car, going around a track.

But, between Tesla, and Workhorse, if they get their pick-up out, I doubt I'll buy another non-electric/hybrid car, aside from toys.

I'd like to see what lap 2, or 3, was like, but we all know that, at some point, in a 20 minute heat, the model 3 wouldn't be able to keep up - and that's fine. I am very happy that the model 3 performance I have on order, is mainly a comfortable, powerful sedan. That's what it should be - worrying about track time, generally, IMO, screws up cars.

An electric track car will be interesting. I'm sure it will be surprisingly cerebral, and I'm sure it will be faster. Mid-engine cars are faster, and more cerebral than front-engine cars, but I enjoy something with a big motor, and side pipes, more than a mid-engine car, going around a track.

But, between Tesla, and Workhorse, if they get their pick-up out, I doubt I'll buy another non-electric/hybrid car, aside from toys.

I couldn't figure out how to edit, so forgive me - is it possible to change the gearing on a Model 3? One of my friends is interested in one, but wants more top-end acceleration - and I'm a bit curious about it, as we have 85MPH highways in TX. I'd be willing to go to a 4.0~4.2 0-60 time, if it could get a better 50-100 time.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
That is a good point, but it's not like the Model 3 handles poorly. It handles better than 95% of all other vehicles. To do better (ignoring power) you are looking at M3s, Alfas, mini coopers? etc.

Sure, I'm fortunate to have a 911 (996) Turbo so that's what I end up comparing it with, which might be unfair, I know. Still, the Tesla handles very, very well, but in comparison to nimble, light, sports cars, it's no match. I'm sure, in the future, ICE will lose comparisons in all respects, but we're not there yet. Batteries need to go lighter, much lighter.

Anyway, the fact that we are even thinking of comparing a Model 3 with a 911 is really something, and qudos to Tesla for that! I wouldn't dream of comparing a Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf or Hyunday Ioniq with any decently performing car.

Sure, I'm fortunate to have a 911 (996) Turbo so that's what I end up comparing it with, which might be unfair, I know. Still, the Tesla handles very, very well, but in comparison to nimble, light, sports cars, it's no match. I'm sure, in the future, ICE will lose comparisons in all respects, but we're not there yet. Batteries need to go lighter, much lighter.

Anyway, the fact that we are even thinking of comparing a Model 3 with a 911 is really something, and qudos to Tesla for that! I wouldn't dream of comparing a Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf or Hyunday Ioniq with any decently performing car.
This. Worth noting to that the 3 is built on a sedan body like the 3 series so even best case it's not apples to apples. And this is the Gen1 of the Performance 3. I'd love to see Gen2 drop a few hundred pounds and have better heat management. Imagine being able to buy something like an Alpina version of the 3. Get the 3 down to the weight of an M3 and it should be ridiculous.

Several of us here have run a bunch of 20min sessions on the track. With track mode on it definitely can keep up.

There's no way the Roadster will weigh more than the Model 3. I am guessing it will end up around the 3,500lb mark, possibly even less.
That'll be quite a trick with 200kWh of battery. The Model 3 battery density is roughly what the Model S was, I think? About 210Wh/kg. That'd make it roughly 950kg, or 2100lb for the battery pack alone! You're talking 1400lb for the three drive units + "glider". With a frame capable of supporting that 2100lb (plus occupants).

If the battery is significantly lighter than that it will involve battery tech advancement that'll have repercussions reverberating far past that car, and the track capability for the Roadster it implies.

You want to be out there longer than 20 minutes?
I often start a track session with the intent to do just one or two fast laps separated by a cool down lap, as I know that is the best chance I have for a PB during any given session. The problem is, once I get out there I find it so hard to force a cool-down, and harder still to come in before the checker. The brake over-heat issues do force a periodic cool-down lap, but with the RWD, I have not really had an issue with power limitations. Even out at Big Willow with 30 minute sessions I found myself staying out to the bitter end. I put in 58 laps over four sessions out there and barely made it back to the supercharger at the end of the day.

Most lapping days are 5-7 sessions ranging from 15-25 minutes. On a non-snowy day (i.e. rain or shine), I'm lucky to get 2 sessions in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon -- that's with a trip to the supercharger over lunch. I'd like to get the full day that I'm paying for.
I’m more & more coming to the opinion that shorter time on track is more. :) The 3 has essentially zero “warm-up” requirement.

Maybe it’s the people (all ICE, most longtime regulars) I’ve gone w/but if anything I’m closer to using it all than most when there’s that much time in the day. I get the impression it is the “all you can eat” scenario where you’re actually going to have a better overall enjoyment if you don’t gorge yourself to “get the most value” through bulk.

What on-site charging do you have? 11kW w/10 min sessions on the hour should keep you going most of the day. If you’re close to a SC to get a big bump mid-day it should be no problem even w/higher draw of the P and 15 min.