Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Standards & Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From someone who has a 2020 model with USS and deactivated, but fitted, radar and FSD, I wouldn’t rush to buy a new one as things stand.
Autopark and summon are at best ad hoc in their operation. Auto lane change has taken a hit in it’s dependability in recent updates. The USS tell me how far I am from the end of my garage with ease when I drive in. I always use that though my garage has ample space.
As far as reversing is concerned, I use my mirrors and the camera but not USS per se. Add to that the fact that FSD is not transferable and there is zero incentive to trade up. I believe that there is a case for Trading Standards to run with. It’s a question of timing but the time isn’t quite here yet. It’s not far off! From a U.K. centric perspective, when we purchase something, we do not allow for it to be “aspirational”. If it is to “come soon” it had better do so! Our laws covering purchase are a good deal tighter than the USA. I believe @Ratch is quite correct in his thinking.

It would appear the best advice to anyone looking at cars, and requires any form of assistance parking, is to scrub Tesla from their list for the foreseeable future.

Edited to add: and that applies to second hand cars with current USS.
Why is this rumour still going around that Tesla is deactivating USS from cars that currently have them? Is this based on when they removed radar?

Same as this assumption that they'll remove stalks and move to the yolk steering wheel, we've seen zero evidence of that on the M3?

Why is this rumour still going around that Tesla is deactivating USS from cars that currently have them? Is this based on when they removed radar?

Same as this assumption that they'll remove stalks and move to the yolk steering wheel, we've seen zero evidence of that on the M3?
We seem to have a few short sellers here or some cases of if god cant make me skinny, please make my friends fatter 😆

I tried to find a video of FSD 11.3 beta with autopark (single stack TV) I struggled to find anything - has anyone seen anything?

Curious as it’s supposed to be combination of all what we can expect.
Other than on Tesla’s own test vehicles, single stack doesn’t exist yet. It will be only on FSD beta and perhaps at some point the wider fleet

Reactions: CWT3LR
Amusing update.

So vision based assistance is here - I did a first quick test.

I started to pull out of my drive way and made sure to steer toward the lamppost which is just off my driveway. The system doesn’t recognise it at all, no matter how close I get, even if I steer into it. In this case TV should be better than USS as there are cameras pointing right at that lamppost.

89C9C217-C032-4D45-86B6-194C6327BFF1.jpeg

0FBE6994-1A3D-4B6A-A480-FAD6CBC89665.jpeg

For more lols, I backed up to my garage doors and did get some distance readings. It said 17” to the doors which looked about right - if you ignore the basketball stand 😆

0BCDF33E-67FB-4A17-9CA9-4409C3654AB1.jpeg

So kind of next to useless and that’s on a dry clear day with pre-cleaned cameras. I have to say, I’m not REMOTELY surprised. As far as I’m concerned, this changes nothing with people’s claims and frustrations.

I’m sure it’ll get ‘better’ but why do I have to pay for a feature and wait a full year for it to be just functional? I’m not a guinea pig.

I think this text from Tesla's notification last year is key now we have Vision based Park Assist.

"In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates. "

We have Park Assist restored, but the big question is whether or not it achieves performance parity with the old USS based systems as Tesla said it would have when they chose to push it out.

Evidence posted both here and elsewhere strongly suggests not. But this will be a more challenging argument to make than 'I was led to believe this functionality would be part of the car delivered to me, but despite Tesla's promises to deliver it soon/in the near future etc, it is still unavailable.'

I appreciate that you only grace these boards with your presence every '2 or 3 weeks' (!) but is there any danger of you @boombap elaborationg on your 'dont like' of my post #70?
I can post my videos with USS and to be honest mine with USS is more or less same as the other Tesla chap (is it RSV symonds) test video without USS.

Best test out there.

My car with USS does the same when I reverse or get out of tight corners in car parks. I have nothing against you going ahead with your complaints and good luck with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch
Specifically

Which is a wild assumption based on your own negative viewpoint. I disagree.
Fair enough....though I'd argue that there are far, far more negative reviews and opinions expressed here (Tesla owner boards remember) than positive. My viewpoint draws from this. Tomorrow I will test the system for myself.

So is it reasonable to therefore assume that you believe that the current Vision-based version of Park Assist is at least as good as the USS version?

If so, it would be helpful if you would post links two or three comparison videos demonstrating this...there is clearly an imbalance here that needs redressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratch
Fair enough.

So is it reasonable to therefore assume that you believe that the current Vision-based version of Park Assist is at least as good as the USS version?

If so, it would be helpful if you would post links two or three comparison videos demonstrating this...there is clearly an imbalance here that needs redressing.
No.

But as per your own post where you quoted Tesla as saying:
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates.
This is the first release, in a series of updates.
Since downloading it, I’ve actually been surprised by how good it is already, despite the bongs and beeps driving me nuts compared to the blissful silence of the past few months.

Over time it will continue to improve and based on what I’ve experienced so far, I fully expect it’ll get very near (so close as to be imperceptible for the majority of use cases) if not as good performance parity as USS. It’s already better at some things like curb detection which has been widely praised. It’s not at all bad for the first in a series of updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.