Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Standards & Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

But as per your own post where you quoted Tesla as saying:

This is the first release, in a series of updates.
Since downloading it, I’ve actually been surprised by how good it is already, despite the bongs and beeps driving me nuts compared to the blissful silence of the past few months.

Over time it will continue to improve and based on what I’ve experienced so far, I fully expect it’ll get very near (so close as to be imperceptible for the majority of use cases) if not as good performance parity as USS. It’s already better at some things like curb detection which has been widely praised. It’s not at all bad for the first in a series of updates.
Just looking for the ‘speechless’ emoji…

• Disagree
Reactions: yessuz and boombap
Specifically

Which is a wild assumption based on your own negative viewpoint. I disagree.
So.....you disagreed with me when I said I didn't think that the Vision based Park Assist was as good as the USS version....but you agree that Vision based Park Assist isn't as good as the USS version. 🤣😂🤣

You are making yourself look very silly here....time for one of those promised 3 week beaks I feel.

So.....you disagreed with me when I said I didn't think that the Vision based Park Assist was as good as the USS version....but you agree that Vision based Park Assist isn't as good as the USS version. 🤣😂🤣

You are making yourself look very silly here....time for one of those promised 3 week beaks I feel.
No. I disagreed with you that the “evidence” you’re invoking being a few random YouTube videos supposedly shows that the vision system will never become as good as USS.

I’m not making myself look silly at all. You’re the one getting bent out of shape because I clicked the disagree button on your post, enjoy being miserable about things you can’t control. Being that negative must be exhausting.

well, no worries, boombap is delusional here.

He's in the forum since november 2022, received his crippled car.. so no worries, he might wake up one day
I’m already woke, thanks.
3 years with USS and 3 months without, hasn’t been a big deal because I‘m wearing my big boy pants and have better things to do that whine and be miserable about things on t’internet.

Y’all do love a pity party though so don’t let me stop you. 😘

• Disagree
Reactions: spdpsba and yessuz
At some point all this going to start negatively effecting sales.
Most people look at reviews ect before pressing the buy button.
422,875 new Tesla owners in Q1 disagree.
Record production, record deliveries.

Most people don’t give a flying fig, unlike the 20 or so misery-guts on this forum who‘ve generated hundreds of comments complaining about it.

Most buyers see the reviews for the low running cost and awesome performance and ignore the FUDsters griping about petty nonsense like USS, especially because most new buyers never even experienced the old version and appreciate the new things they get like the triple rear facing cameras that all you grumpy-pants have become accustomed to.

Pretty sure they had to get this out quickly to avoid impacting sales more. Most people won't know that it's not great at this point but just that the car now has this capability again.

You'd think if they cannot solve this, there's no chance of FSD ever working with the same hardware either. USS won't be much use at speed so they've got to correctly pick out objects at all speeds.

Wonder if HW5 will have lidar once it's cheap enough 😉

Pretty sure they had to get this out quickly to avoid impacting sales more. Most people won't know that it's not great at this point but just that the car now has this capability again.

You'd think if they cannot solve this, there's no chance of FSD ever working with the same hardware either. USS won't be much use at speed so they've got to correctly pick out objects at all speeds.

Wonder if HW5 will have lidar once it's cheap enough 😉
That might stand up if all the wailing about demand problems in January had any basis in fact which todays numbers disprove.

FSD beta is already working well on HW3. HW4 is just an evolution and won’t be necessary. LiDAR will never be in a Tesla because it adds nothing of value that you can’t already do with cameras.

That might stand up if all the wailing about demand problems in January had any basis in fact which todays numbers disprove.

FSD beta is already working well on HW3. HW4 is just an evolution and won’t be necessary. LiDAR will never be in a Tesla because it adds nothing of value that you can’t already do with cameras.
Is in keeping this thread in line about parking. Look at the visualisations, things just around all the time. Look at the videos Tesla published on their Occupancy Networks, stuff jiggles around there also. Lidar wouldn't have that issue but of course Lidar cannot work on its own as it cannot read. Colour of a traffic light for instance.

Lidar would I think work great for parking, in wet weather and also on the dark. FSD Beta in the US is impressive of course but it also has limitations.

• Funny
Reactions: boombap
At some point all this is going to start negatively effecting sales.
Most people look at reviews ect before pressing the buy button.
It appears people only look at this forum after they've bought the car.
Fair play to the folks taking Tesla to court etc, but too many have given Tesla the cash because the salesman said a replacement was coming soon. Is caveat emptor no longer a thing?

• Funny
Reactions: boombap
Is in keeping this thread in line about parking. Look at the visualisations, things just around all the time. Look at the videos Tesla published on their Occupancy Networks, stuff jiggles around there also. Lidar wouldn't have that issue but of course Lidar cannot work on its own as it cannot read. Colour of a traffic light for instance.

Lidar would I think work great for parking, in wet weather and also on the dark. FSD Beta in the US is impressive of course but it also has limitations.
Having paid attention to the FSD development the lines a year ago on that stack were also “jiggly” and after some further development the algorithm was refined to make them smoother and steadier as confidence builds that they’re in the right place. See earlier comment referencing Tesla’s statement about releasing a series of updates. This is v1.0.

LiDAR is an optical tool, as are cameras. It’d offer nothing for parking that would be an improvement. Laser based systems would still suffer the same rain occlusion of the camera sensor as the Tesla Vision solution and are power hungry and expensive.

An Apple style IR dot projection would also have the exact same issues if there was was a drop of rain on the lens. Tesla have also already demonstrated they can generate the exact same kind of point cloud data out of the camera bitstream which is why they dropped the jiggly dumb low resolution radar system which does the same thing but worse, as do ultrasonic sensors.

I’ve had condensation in my B pillar cameras virtually every day of autumn and winter for the last 3 years
According to Tesla, it’s within spec. It must be part of FSD :oops:
No matter how high the resolution of cameras that are fitted in the pillars, they will be blinded.
I know that in the US, beta has had good reviews but makes no difference here. Anything we have or get short term is the leftovers.
I have USS and they work ok to a large extent. Currently, my rear camera is dirty for much of the time because I live in an agricultural area. Even with USS, auto-park is a dog’s breakfast. most of the time it can’t even identify a spot.
Tesla’s software engineers must be crying in their keyboards trying to get vision to be a jack of all trades.

I’ve said many times on this forum that Tesla’s are a good car with potential to be a great car. That potential gets sidelined every time as the focus is always on FSD and cost reduction.

It appears people only look at this forum after they've bought the car.
Fair play to the folks taking Tesla to court etc, but too many have given Tesla the cash because the salesman said a replacement was coming soon. Is caveat emptor no longer a thing?
It does make me laugh how the argument was “why haven’t they released a replacement!!!?!??!!” and now has flipped to “the replacement isn’t good enough!!!!!” with the same level of vitriol.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch and spdpsba
I’ve said many times on this forum that Tesla’s are a good car with potential to be a great car. That potential gets sidelined every time as the focus is always on FSD and cost reduction.
That‘d make sense if you believe they’re taking things like radar and USS away purely for cost reasons vs. the fact they realised that the features they tried to make work with them don’t and so are moving to a better vision based system instead.

As you admit yourself Autopark is crap and always has been. Even with radar and USS installed. Same for summon etc. The guy who posted a pic the other week of his bumper with USS and a massive scrape in the paint from smacking in to something proves they’re not infallible either. The whole point of moving to vision only is that they see a path to making it great, which they don’t see with the multi sensor approach. Unfortunately some people like to look for the bad in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.