Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small Rant -
Ver. 11.4.7 - I tried to use Autopilot on the way home from work yesterday, but I was denied. My windshield wiper fluid was low, not out, just low.
It was a completely sunny day, no rain and the windshield was clear.
So, I was denied because of the off chance I needed to use all of my wiper fluid, it would not let me use it.
How about disabling it when you need to wipe the window if there is no wiper fluid left?
The windshield wiper situation is a joke.
End of Rant -
You're coming at this from a very human driver approach. Totally understandable. Try to think of this from the computer standpoint. You're asking the car to drive, which is based on vision and needs the forward cameras clean and unobstructed to do so safely. Sensors are telling the system that the washer fluid is low, and if there was a lot of mud or dirt being kicked up from another car, etc, the cameras could be occluded, which would cause safety issues. It's just a precaution.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Just 'upgraded' to 11.4.7. It hasn't rained yet so I don't know how the wipers will do in rain.

I do know that parked in the shade. in camp mode, the wipers were swiping every 20 minutes or so. No idea why. Don't care. Still hate the car. (And no, it wasn't my idea to install 11.4.7, Tesla SC downloaded the updates (we were on 11.4.2 which was working fine) and then, despite my warnings, he installed it.)
It's been reported by many that the following seems to help (though it hasn't solved it for everyone):

Reboot the car (I use the two-wheel and brake pedal method)
Once it's rebooted, let it sit somewhere for awhile (parked for a few hours at work or home) with Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat disabled. That will allow the car to go into a deep sleep (completely shutdown). You'll know it was in deep sleep if you wake it up (use the Tesla app on your cell phone) and it starts making clicking noises and a loud clunk-clunk sound (that's the high-cap battery terminals engaging). If you wake the car up and it just comes to instant life with no clicking/clunking noises, then it wasn't in a deep sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Is disabling AP when windshield washer fluid is low a brand new feature?

I've run low on fluid and didn't have any issues. But that was quite a while ago.

(I'm not opposed to, for reasons the previous commenter described)

Same issue today. Have 2023.32.4 and it was raining and the wipers were not activating. To the point I couldn’t see and had to manually turn on wipers. FSD beta 11.4.4 HW 4. 2023 MY. Thoughts?

Last night I did the two-button reset and the disabled sentry and overheat protection. I’ve driven 121 miles so far today without a single false wipe. Hoping this fixes it. A couple days ago I drove through horrible rain and the wipers were not working predictably. And this was as easy as possible whether to do it in. It was absolutely pouring. The wipers should’ve been on full blast the whole time. And then yesterday in nice weather they were randomly wiping dry glass! Ridiculous!!!

PSA: This is a persistent myth:

The new instructions state that you should only restart the touchscreen when the car is stationary and in park mode,

That's curious. My car seems to regularly need a 2-button reset, often to fix the browser. Do it while driving frequently. Freaks out the wife as I announce "I'm going to reboot the car" while driving. Does not affect FSD, although the "pay attention" alerts are muted so you need to be attentive.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnB007
That's curious. My car seems to regularly need a 2-button reset, often to fix the browser. Do it while driving frequently. Freaks out the wife as I announce "I'm going to reboot the car" while driving. Does not affect FSD, although the "pay attention" alerts are muted so you need to be attentive.
Good to know. I've done it while driving also. Maybe NHTSA got involved, cause it seems like it should be illegal to drive without a speedometer.

You can't turn them off while on AP/FSDb, but you can set them to any of the other "on" settings.
I can turn them off while in AP/FSDb, but they turn back on if I disengage and re-engage. With 11.4.7, I have to turn them on or off depending on the situation. Oddly on my 22 MS with 11.4.7, they default to off in AP/FSD...some sort of bug. Tesla service said it will be fixed in a future update.

Looks like 11.4.7.1 is now rolling out according to tesla-info, teslascope., notateslaapp etc

FSD notes say:

- Improved short-deadline lane changes, to avoid going off-route, through better modeling of target lane vehicles to improve gap selection assertiveness.
- Improved offset consistency when controlling for static obstacles. Also improved smoothness when changing offset direction by adjusting speed more comfortably.
- Improved handling of oncoming cars on narrow unmarked roads by improving prediction of oncoming car's trajectory and leaving enough room for them to pass before re-centering.
- Improved Occupancy Flow prediction from the Occupancy Network for arbitrary moving obstacles by 8%.
- Expanded usage of the new object ground truth autolabeler for the NonVRU detection model, improving distant vehicle recall and geometry precision for semi-trucks, trailers, and exotic vehicles.
- Improved VRU control by expanding planning scope to control gently for low-confidence detections that may interfere with ego's path.
- Improved handling for VRUs near crosswalks by predicting their future intent more accurately. This was done by leveraging more kinematic data to improve association between crosswalks and VRUs.
- Improved ego's behavior near VRUs by tuning their assumed kinematic properties and utilizing available semantic information to classify more accurately their probability of intersecting ego's path.
- Improved Automatic Emergency Braking recall in response to cut-in vehicles and vehicles behind ego while reversing.
- Introduced Automatic Emergency Braking on general obstacles detected by Occupancy Network.

I used FSD for the 3rd time yesterday, and again it had problems in 'the usual areas' and did well on the freeway.

Something important happened - I got it. I mean, it dawned on me that this was a feature that I actually wanted and would use. Not for $12,000! But it definitely has an appeal, and that appeal has a monetary aspect to it. I can see why Tesla stock goes up on news of better FSD.

On the freeway, I've already started relaxing and relying on it. You sort of have to relax as the car will be going much more closer to the speed limit than I would have.

I do have a request for Tesla, FSD or not. Show cars behind you that are within 2 car lengths. As it is now, the display shows nothing behind or to the sides until a car is right off the quarter panel.

Another request. Try to avoid debris on the road instead of driving right over it just to stay centered in a lane.

Looks like 11.4.7.1 is now rolling out according to tesla-info, teslascope., notateslaapp etc

FSD notes say:

- Improved short-deadline lane changes, to avoid going off-route, through better modeling of target lane vehicles to improve gap selection assertiveness.
- Improved offset consistency when controlling for static obstacles. Also improved smoothness when changing offset direction by adjusting speed more comfortably.
- Improved handling of oncoming cars on narrow unmarked roads by improving prediction of oncoming car's trajectory and leaving enough room for them to pass before re-centering.
- Improved Occupancy Flow prediction from the Occupancy Network for arbitrary moving obstacles by 8%.
- Expanded usage of the new object ground truth autolabeler for the NonVRU detection model, improving distant vehicle recall and geometry precision for semi-trucks, trailers, and exotic vehicles.
- Improved VRU control by expanding planning scope to control gently for low-confidence detections that may interfere with ego's path.
- Improved handling for VRUs near crosswalks by predicting their future intent more accurately. This was done by leveraging more kinematic data to improve association between crosswalks and VRUs.
- Improved ego's behavior near VRUs by tuning their assumed kinematic properties and utilizing available semantic information to classify more accurately their probability of intersecting ego's path.
- Improved Automatic Emergency Braking recall in response to cut-in vehicles and vehicles behind ego while reversing.
- Introduced Automatic Emergency Braking on general obstacles detected by Occupancy Network.
These look identical to my release notes for 11.4.4.

It looks like they are still going to keep the testing group separate. I'd bet we stay on whatever 11.4.7 base becomes viable for a while.
Dylan Loomis of Electrified mentioned that 2023.7.30 (FSD 11.4.7.1) moves FSD testers more in line with the mainstream.

1695171829807.png

Reactions: rbcopod