Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Tesla isn't the only company having products delayed. If you decides to buy any big ticket items, like I did with a $3,500 electric unicycle, you'd understand. China shipping ports were shut down last month due to Covid, Long Beach ports are delayed due to chassis shortage (containers are loaded onto chassis for truckers to haul out), which in terms lead to train carts shortage when a massive amount of containers are hauled out, which leads to no raw materials to build with. If you haven't gotten the idea, the logistics nightmare is real.
I have no issues waiting 6 months for a car if Tesla told me it would take that long. My issue with Tesla is with the constantly changing EDDs. I have had EDDs in April, May, June, and now in July. I have no confidence I will get my car this month (even though my EDD currently says July 15 - 25). True, they are "estimates", but what is the point if they are off by 3+ months.

Reactions: JustYNot
Our 60 day mark is this Friday and my SA told me “we would get an email when financing expires but hopes to find a car for us before then”. She also said it doesn’t always expire at 60 days, which I feel like is incorrect. When we do reapply, that doesn’t put us back in the queue again right? No VIN, Edd is 7/25-8/14

Our 60 day mark is this Friday and my SA told me “we would get an email when financing expires but hopes to find a car for us before then”. She also said it doesn’t always expire at 60 days, which I feel like is incorrect. When we do reapply, that doesn’t put us back in the queue again right? No VIN, Edd is 7/25-8/14
That won't put you at the end of the queue if that's what you're worried about. It's only another credit check.

Everybody here seems frustrated... I'm in the same boat. If they can't meet the EDD's why have it at all in the account. It's better to remove it and keep us guessing (at least less anxiety IMO). The problem is we have been given hope and suddenly the hope gets slaughtered ( not once .. many times during the course of the wait :) )

Agree with one more member on the MYL white orders are high in May.

Details:

EDD is now July 23rd - Aug 5th as of today.
MY LR 5 Pearl White, Black, 19", no tow, autopilot - order date 05/14
MY EDD when from 7/18-8/8 to 7/24 - Aug 13 today. 5/14 order date, White, Black, 20", no tow in Los Angeles. no VIN. Moved 3 days back yesterday, and now another week today. Getting ridiculously painful.

Reactions: Daget24
I don't think we should blame Tesla for delays. But I think they need to make improvements to the order tracking and delivery process.
When I ordered a custom BMW last year, I was able to track it through production at the Spartanburg, SC plant and then on a train, and the delivery date was pretty close to initial estimate. Tesla will hopefully have their own system which works for them. They need to get into a continuous delivery mode instead of getting tied into quarterly deliveries and cancelling VINs. Hopefully this will all happen in a couple of years when more factories are online.

I'm pretty positive that EDD calculations are automated, and based on real data - number of various parts in car orders vs number of parts in the warehouse, lead times for part manufacture, shipping, customs, etc. Obviously, their algorithms aren't perfect, but they are probably actually fairly good for most. My EDD just went from 9/13-9/30 to 9/14-9/30. There is no way a human would have made that adjustment. And there's no way that a human would go through on a regular basis and actually check and update everyone's EDD. I'm pretty sure the SAs are using the same type of automated calculations, although they may have access to more data, such as which configurations are actually planned for manufacturing in the near future. But even those days can slip.

So... chill out everyone.

I'm pretty positive that EDD calculations are automated, and based on real data - number of various parts in car orders vs number of parts in the warehouse, lead times for part manufacture, shipping, customs, etc. Obviously, their algorithms aren't perfect, but they are probably actually fairly good for most. My EDD just went from 9/13-9/30 to 9/14-9/30. There is no way a human would have made that adjustment. And there's no way that a human would go through on a regular basis and actually check and update everyone's EDD. I'm pretty sure the SAs are using the same type of automated calculations, although they may have access to more data, such as which configurations are actually planned for manufacturing in the near future. But even those days can slip.

So... chill out everyone.
I see you haven't been here very long yet. When your EDD moves from 2 weeks out to 3 months out and everything in-between you'll realize there really is not rhyme or reason. Yes, possibly there's an algorithm, but whatever it is, it's not accurate whatsoever. It's not accurate for the vast majority of people, and doesn't even seem to get more accurate as your real delivery date approaches. Plenty of stories of people with EDD's that keep getting pushed, and others that were months out and suddenly they get allocated a car - the same car and spec that others are waiting for. As an example, someone in Orange County got my exact same spec after waiting just 3 weeks for their car - I would have gladly driven to OC to take that vehicle and had been waiting 7 weeks at that point!

Reactions: ankit
I see you haven't been here very long yet. When your EDD moves from 2 weeks out to 3 months out and everything in-between you'll realize there really is not rhyme or reason. Yes, possibly there's an algorithm, but whatever it is, it's not accurate whatsoever. It's not accurate for the vast majority of people, and doesn't even seem to get more accurate as your real delivery date approaches. Plenty of stories of people with EDD's that keep getting pushed, and others that were months out and suddenly they get allocated a car - the same car and spec that others are waiting for. As an example, someone in Orange County got my exact same spec after waiting just 3 weeks for their car - I would have gladly driven to OC to take that vehicle and had been waiting 7 weeks at that point!
Interesting. It is frustrating to see that two people having the exact same specs can have vastly different EDD than one another-especially if they are in the same/similar region.
From the research I’ve done on here, and other places, the EDD it does seem sporadic And based on a ton of variables…
My EDD is 9/18-9/30, and I’m honestly just happy that it’s not further out. I hope that doesn’t change!

Haven't posted for awhile, however, I'm also as frustrated as many others here. What make the waiting way worse is the inconsistency of the EDD's. At this point they should just stop with them and post "Due to high demand and parts shortages we are doing our best to produce cars as quickly as possible" This at least wouldn't get people's hopes up and then disappoint. With my order date of 5-6 I'm hoping to get a VIN shortly but who knows.

Reactions: JustYNot
Yes, I've seen where someone with the same configuration and a later order date gets their car first. Can't explain that and I agree it sucks.

I'm certainly not going to trust that spreadsheet either, though. There's a lot of junk data in there. Someone completes their profile 6/28 and gets a car with a 6/2021 manufacture date? That can't be normal order process.

Rather than focus on the EDDs and the spreadsheet, I'm just watching the April/May orders threads, and it's fairly evident that end of April orders are finally delivering and some early-to-mid May orders are delivering as well. I'm guessing based on that I'll have mine mid-August. Hopeful, but wouldn't be surprised if it's EOQ3 or even later. There was a report that 3s and Ys are already sold out for 3Q. That's at least a month and a half earlier than 2Q was purportedly sold out (based on SA told us 5/31 there were still some 2Q slots open).

Just sitting and waiting. Some of the recent negativity on the board certainly doesn't improve the delivery timelines, and it isn't making the wait easier either.

I'm not saying you can't complain, but some people are just slamming Tesla that they suck and they're horrible, the worst. I feel like... if you really feel that way, don't buy the car.

Haven't posted for awhile, however, I'm also as frustrated as many others here. What make the waiting way worse is the inconsistency of the EDD's. At this point they should just stop with them and post "Due to high demand and parts shortages we are doing our best to produce cars as quickly as possible" This at least wouldn't get people's hopes up and then disappoint. With my order date of 5-6 I'm hoping to get a VIN shortly but who knows.
One trend I'm starting to notice is that almost everyone in this thread frustrated with their wait time has white paint... the one thing I have notice and heard of is that more expensive specs (Performance, FSD, etc...) seem to be getting preferential delivery times...

Reactions: ankit
Yes, I've seen where someone with the same configuration and a later order date gets their car first. Can't explain that and I agree it sucks.

I'm certainly not going to trust that spreadsheet either, though. There's a lot of junk data in there. Someone completes their profile 6/28 and gets a car with a 6/2021 manufacture date? That can't be normal order process.

Rather than focus on the EDDs and the spreadsheet, I'm just watching the April/May orders threads, and it's fairly evident that end of April orders are finally delivering and some early-to-mid May orders are delivering as well. I'm guessing based on that I'll have mine mid-August. Hopeful, but wouldn't be surprised if it's EOQ3 or even later. There was a report that 3s and Ys are already sold out for 3Q. That's at least a month and a half earlier than 2Q was purportedly sold out (based on SA told us 5/31 there were still some 2Q slots open).

Just sitting and waiting. Some of the recent negativity on the board certainly doesn't improve the delivery timelines, and it isn't making the wait easier either.

I'm not saying you can't complain, but some people are just slamming Tesla that they suck and they're horrible, the worst. I feel like... if you really feel that way, don't buy the car.
That's no fun though! How am I going to get through this waiting without complaining :)

Just as an FYI - the same spec in OC is not from the spreadsheet but instead from someone I know personally. Someone ordered ~30 days after me and received the exact same spec just 45 miles from me right at the end of the quarter. They also paid $1000 more because of price increases. Not sure why they were prioritized, but frustrating nonetheless.

As of August 1 I will no longer have a vehicle to drive, so the frustrating is magnified. I would not have expected to be in this position 75 days later with a 6-8 original delivery date when purchased. Thought the two week buffer was enough - I guess not.

Reactions: JustYNot and ankit

yeah seeing the april orders finally get fulfilled gives me hope that my edd range of 7/16 - 7/27 might actually be close to accurate (guessing the 7/27 date which hasn't changed for 1.5 weeks is the real date). feel like people have just grown accustomed to getting everything they want immediately thanks to the immediacy of the internet/online ordering and we've forgotten how to be patient. i understand that this differs slightly when you can usually buy a car and drive off with it straight from the lot (especially with cars priced in the luxury range), but one of the factors that influenced me going with tesla is i hate the experience of buying from dealerships and would rather never interact with someone selling me a car - downside is waiting of course. i also saw the reports that q3 sold out faster. this is what happens when you buy the most popular ev on the market, if not the entire world - people are still waiting on ps5's and xbox series x's and it's been 8 months of extremely limited supply. i still remember ordering things online last year during the height of the pandemic and when the usps was a complete sh*t show and my deliveries would take 2-3 months after being initially quoted 1-2 weeks, with some deliveries just getting lost in the system and suddenly showing up one day. guess that was all training for my model y.