Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only learned midday today that my EDD moved up from May 24 to March 17 - March 22. I'm kind of annoyed they gave me basically gave no notice. A few hours after the first text, I received a second text saying it was time to schedule delivery. In the app, the only options for pick up are 3/19 to 3/21. WTF

I'm really suspicious that I'm being offered a rejected car. And why such a short window? Is it always like this?

Reactions: Otter2007
I only learned midday today that my EDD moved up from May 24 to March 17 - March 22. I'm kind of annoyed they gave me basically gave no notice. A few hours after the first text, I received a second text saying it was time to schedule delivery. In the app, the only options for pick up are 3/19 to 3/21. WTF

I'm really suspicious that I'm being offered a rejected car. And why such a short window? Is it always like this?
What VIN did you get?

F401
I noticed someone else posted a F406 VIN for window starting 3/19 which is why I'm thinking mine seems a tad "old"
Tesla will assign VINs when another person doesn’t fully accept delivery. For example, if another person orders the exact configuration as yours and they don’t take it for whatever reason, it’s then assigned to the next person in the area.

In essence, it can suck for those further away from Fremont since those are the first available cars even if the VIN is weeks or months old.

Tesla will assign VINs when another person doesn’t fully accept delivery. For example, if another person orders the exact configuration as yours and they don’t take it for whatever reason, it’s then assigned to the next person in the area.

In essence, it can suck for those further away from Fremont since those are the first available cars even if the VIN is weeks or months old.

Is he able to reject the car with that older VIN and ask for a newer car?

Is he able to reject the car with that older VIN and ask for a newer car?
Well yes, but why? First, as has been noted many times on this site, VINs aren’t sequential. Just because someone received 406, we can’t conclude 401 is “old” or a rejected car. Second, cars in the 400s are at most a week to 10 days “old.” And finally, even if someone did pass on the car, it doesn’t indicate anything is wrong with it. Maybe the person couldn’t get their financing together, or had to go out of town. Sheesh, @bambooninja ordered his MYLR on 11/28 so should count his lucky stars he is being offered a car so early. At least go look at it, then reject if something is wrong with it. Or take a pass if not ready. I’ll take it. I’ve been waiting since September.

Well yes, but why? First, as has been noted many times on this site, VINs aren’t sequential. Just because someone received 406, we can’t conclude 401 is “old” or a rejected car. Second, cars in the 400s are at most a week to 10 days “old.” And finally, even if someone did pass on the car, it doesn’t indicate anything is wrong with it. Maybe the person couldn’t get their financing together, or had to go out of town. Sheesh, @bambooninja ordered his MYLR on 11/28 so should count his lucky stars he is being offered a car so early. At least go look at it, then reject if something is wrong with it. Or take a pass if not ready. I’ll take it. I’ve been waiting since September.
Agree.. My 392 completed production exactly 11 days ago on 3/2.

Yes, that's exactly what we are doing. We will inspect this weekend and see how it goes. The short notice is challenging to gather up that much in cash in 36 hours. If I had to pass on the car, it'd be more likely be due to funding rather than the car. I'm sure the only reason I moved up in the line is because I'm local and Tesla wants to meet Q1 goals.

Yes, that's exactly what we are doing. We will inspect this weekend and see how it goes. The short notice is challenging to gather up that much in cash in 36 hours. If I had to pass on the car, it'd be more likely be due to funding rather than the car. I'm sure the only reason I moved up in the line is because I'm local and Tesla wants to meet Q1 goals.
I will say your circumstance is a bit unique in that you’re receiving a MYLR about 2 months early compared to the rest of us who ordered in September. You also have a more unusual combination (blue/white, 20”, tow) so it is very likely another customer passed on this car and you were the next in line with the same order. It does not mean anything is wrong with it, but take your inspection check list to be sure. If you pass, it is possible you will wait several months for the next one. Personally it sounds to me like you were extraordinarily lucky.