Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We finally got 8.4 yesterday from 5.15. It seems we are always in the lower third of the group to get updates. That's OK, after hearing all the issues people get when they update early. But it is hard to wait when everyone it seems is getting their dessert and you're not getting any. :)

I haven't used NoA in a while, so can't comment on how much better it is compared to the previous version but I was pretty impressed. I thought I would have to dis-engage often like I normally do, but I probably only disengaged twice during my 20 minute commute to change lanes because there wasn't enough space I guess and I didn't want to wait. I also hit the accelerator a few times because it was going a bit too slow on the off-ramp, but if I was being patient I probably could have done the whole trip without dis-engaging. The lane changes are much smoother/confident now. This was in minimal traffic, so the conditions were easy for it. In normal bay area traffic, it probably would not have done as well or you would never move lanes.

Here is a short clip on the lane changes starting my commute. When I turned on AP, I didn't overtake it until the last lane change where it was hesitant because car was coming up kind of fast. It probably did the right thing by waiting, but I decided to punch it and make the lane change myself.

Here is a short clip on the lane changes starting my commute. When I turned on AP, I didn't overtake it until the last lane change where it was hesitant because car was coming up kind of fast. It probably did the right thing by waiting, but I decided to punch it and make the lane change myself.

"This video is unavailable"

Hopefully 8.5 fixes all the bugs in 8.3. I've had to hard reset my car every day since getting 8.3 due to screen freezes, gear shifting failures, etc. 8.3 really wasn't ready for primetime.

I've been hoping that's the case on every release since September. So far not one bug has been fixed (that's visible), yet a whole lot of new ones. Since this appears to be another "feature" release, a big one at that, I doubt much will be fixed.

Regardless I look forward to the update. ;)

I'm thrilled they made "No Confirmation" and option and Defaulted it, to Confirm.
I'll wait for others to test it first.

I haven't used NoA in a while, so can't comment on how much better it is compared to the previous version but I was pretty impressed. I thought I would have to dis-engage often like I normally do, but I probably only disengaged twice during my 20 minute commute to change lanes because there wasn't enough space I guess and I didn't want to wait. I also hit the accelerator a few times because it was going a bit too slow on the off-ramp, but if I was being patient I probably could have done the whole trip without dis-engaging. The lane changes are much smoother/confident now. This was in minimal traffic, so the conditions were easy for it. In normal bay area traffic, it probably would not have done as well or you would never move lanes.

I'm still on 5.15 but I want the updated NoA.

Reactions: N8Howell33

Can we get a real-time video by any chance? I love seeing the actual details of how it works which is hidden by the fast motion.