Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The blue planning line shows that FSD wanted to go around the FedEx vehicle (no perception issue). But at that moment, because FSD would cross into the adjacent lane, and a car was coming (that car turned red on the visualization), it prevented FSD from moving over.

At that point, FSD has to brake hard, and given how close we already are to the FedEx truck, I wouldn't blame any human from manually intervening instead of waiting to find out what FSD would do.

Seems like the challenge is for FSD to identify a course of action way sooner. This has been an issue with highway lane changes on NoA since forever. The cameras are always on, but the car doesn't appear to check adjacent lanes for traffic until after the intent to switch lanes is initiated. I really hate when NoA turns on the blinkers when there's clearly a car approaching, and then it keeps the blinkers on for a long time as the obstructing car moves ahead. For that other car, they are unclear whether I even see them because of my blinker.

Good analysis. And yes, I agree, the main problem is that FSD Beta does not plan ahead far enough.

I point out this situation because it is a good example of the kind of scenario that requires active driver attention.

.....Seems like the challenge is for FSD to identify a course of action way sooner.....
identifying seems to be one of the biggest problems and another is commitment after identifying. It seems to be recalculating and "deciding" what to do many times a second. While changing a plan can be beneficial, in many or most cases commitment is the key to success.

Reactions: VanFriscia
identifying seems to be one of the biggest problems and another is commitment after identifying. It seems to be recalculating and "deciding" what to do many times a second. While changing a plan can be beneficial, in many or most cases commitment is the key to success.
I’ve had several instances recently where FSD is trying to take a turn and sees a gap, starts to proceed the. Stops or hesitates then slowly starts again at a point where it will cause an accident or at least cause someone to slam on their brakes. In almost all of these cases it it would simply proceed as soon as it identified the gap in traffic it would be fine, it’s the hesitation that causes it to fail.

Seems like the challenge is for FSD to identify a course of action way sooner. This has been an issue with highway lane changes on NoA since forever. The cameras are always on, but the car doesn't appear to check adjacent lanes for traffic until after the intent to switch lanes is initiated. I really hate when NoA turns on the blinkers when there's clearly a car approaching, and then it keeps the blinkers on for a long time as the obstructing car moves ahead. For that other car, they are unclear whether I even see them because of my blinker.
Agreed, FSD uses blinkers to mean "I WANT to do a lane change" instead of "I am GOING to do a lane change". While there are times I do the former (for example, in stop and go traffic when trying to get to an exit lane), I was taught (correctly, imho) that you should only ever do the latter.

Here we see 10.12.2 take a sharp turn on a rural road at 40 mph and go wide into the incoming lane since it is going too fast. This has happened to me many times. This is very disappointing. You would think this would be easy to solve, just have the car know to slow down for sharp turns. This is not Chuck's ULT, it is a simple turn.

Here we see 10.12.2 take a sharp turn on a rural road at 40 mph and go wide into the incoming lane since it is going too fast. This has happened to me many times. This is very disappointing. You would think this would be easy to solve, just have the car know to slow down for sharp turns. This is not Chuck's ULT, it is a simple turn.

Just taking the best line.

I see it often turn wide and veer all over the road when I gun it through turns, but it would probably do it under other conditions without interference too.

I just got back from a few days away just west of Fort Worth.

Honestly spent most journeys while we were up there just driving manually, 10.12.2 was borderline useless.
Cresting hills - unneeded slowdowns
odd tar marks on road - unneeded slowdowns
darker stripes on road from silly heat melting the tar (yay country roads) - gave a delightful combination of severe slowdowns and a tendancy to try stay one side or the other of the stripes, that never works on narrow roads.

I was hoping for better on our drive 140 mile drive home, roads like Hwy 281 heading to Austin, on pre-FSDb versions of Autopilot where previously smoothly handled, but on 10.12.2 I was getting more than one severe slowdown per 10 miles of road. At the 70-75mph speed limits on this road, slowing down to 60 for no reason makes for a really unsettling drive.
That drive home was one of the worst drives I can remember using any version of autopilot.
I'm currently thinking 10.13.x will be the last attempt for me before I drop out and head back to standard AP.
I used to use a profile that turned off FSD, but all the issues I'm seeing on drives like this are all on the AP stack, so turning off FSD has no effect. Feels like they are barreling to single stack which may solve some of these issues - but the idea of the FSD stack being in charge of a 70mph car currently fills me with dread.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

I gonna have to go with my hopeful theory that they make it deliberately crappy to keep you alert. But it's crappy in an unsafe manner.

Otherwise it's just truly amazing that they can't do easy fixes like you mentioned, and the way it still turns the wheel before making the turn which is so easy to fix but so annoying to watch.

Or they really think this is the right way to drive, which is sadder still.

The best case is they fix the simple things and make it safer, it's just mind -boggling that they don't, release after release. I really don't know how to make sense of their methods from an engineering point of view.

What setting did you have (just curious, agree it was a bad maneuver regardless of the setting)? Assertive?

I gonna have to go with my hopeful theory that they make it deliberately crappy to keep you alert. But it's crappy in an unsafe manner.

Otherwise it's just truly amazing that they can't do easy fixes like you mentioned, and the way it still turns the wheel before making the turn which is so easy to fix but so annoying to watch.

Or they really think this is the right way to drive, which is sadder still.

The best case is they fix the simple things and make it safer, it's just mind -boggling that they don't, release after release. I really don't know how to make sense of their methods from an engineering point of view.
I think that is my frustration with it at the moment. There are so many annoying things that it does that just don't seem to get better, or improve by tiny/meaningless percentages.
Obviously (or not so obviously) stuff does improve, but I really doubt most of us can tell the difference between no improvement and something being 7% better :)
I honestly don't care that much about Chuck's unprotected left. It likely needs so much care and attention that I wouldn't ever trust it anyway and would just drive it manually. I'd much rather it got really good at simple things like one of my neighborhood T junctions with no traffic around that I've been reporting since last October. It has improved - in that it only waits for 5 seconds at the yield sign instead of 15, that's dramatically better but still completely unusable with other cars on the road. No learner is ever that cautious.
Maybe the biggest mistake is not posting the really heinous stuff on YouTube with lurid headlines :rolleyes:

Reactions: BnGrm
Does Tesla manually classify certain highways as NoA-capable? We went on a vacation through various California forests on state highways, and some used the old stack limited to 5mph over the speed limit while others used FSD Beta. The type of driving on each of the highways was basically the same with 1 lane in each direction with plenty of curves and dashed center lines from time to time. FSD Beta 10.12 did fine if not better than the old stack for 100+ miles. Although I did take over to manually pass trucks going at their posted speed limit, but I'm not sure if FSD Beta will ever do this type of maneuver?

Does Tesla manually classify certain highways as NoA-capable? We went on a vacation through various California forests on state highways, and some used the old stack limited to 5mph over the speed limit while others used FSD Beta. The type of driving on each of the highways was basically the same with 1 lane in each direction with plenty of curves and dashed center lines from time to time. FSD Beta 10.12 did fine if not better than the old stack for 100+ miles. Although I did take over to manually pass trucks going at their posted speed limit, but I'm not sure if FSD Beta will ever do this type of maneuver?
My understanding is that NoA is for limited access freeways. I’ve been on several roads where the visualization changes from the blue line(s) to the red & yellow lines. These are generally 4+ lane divided highways. The smaller 2 lane roads are generally all on FSD beta. I presume Tesla uses mapping data for this distinction but I can’t say for certain.

My understanding is that NoA is for limited access freeways. I’ve been on several roads where the visualization changes from the blue line(s) to the red & yellow lines. These are generally 4+ lane divided highways. The smaller 2 lane roads are generally all on FSD beta. I presume Tesla uses mapping data for this distinction but I can’t say for certain.
So, in NJ, let's say that there's three classes of roads: Limited access highways (LAH), four lanes (2 each way) or bigger; Major local roads (MLR), with four lanes (2 each way) or bigger, stoplights, no stop signs, and probably Jersey Barriers down the middle; and local roads (LR), two lanes, one each way, stop lights, stop signs, and all. And maybe road markings down the middle and maybe not.
Case 1: FSD, non-beta:
  • LAH: In FSD, get a blue line down the middle of the road. It'll switch lanes on its own, but only if enabled. Will move onto exit ramps and can handle LAH-to-LAH travel that way. (That is: It's doing NoA.) Turns off that blue line when exiting the LAH. No limits on speed.
  • MLR: In FSD, no blue lines, White lines down the lane when FSD is on. No switching lanes, period. If there's nobody in front of one, stops for all lights; if the light is green, have to tap the gas pedal or shift lever to keep the car moving forward. If there is somebody in front of one, will follow that other car through lights, if one is close enough. The car will auto-switch from one lane to another by hitting the turn lever. No limits on speed.
  • LR: One can run FSD.. but it's a bit scary. The car tends to play near-miss with parked cars and garbage cans. With lane markings (and no cars/objects over the lane markings) will do a decent job. Limited to 5 mph over the speed limit. Stops at lights and stop signs; same, "follow-through" on lights as MLR.
Case 2: FSD, beta
  • LAH: Just like LAH for FSD, non-beta. Except that on certain exit ramps the full-color (Red on the right, yellow on the left) may appear. No limit on speed, but the 0.12 version, when it sees a speed limit sign that's different than the last speed limit sign it saw, it'll switch to the new speed limit sign. Even if you don't want it to, since the traffic may all be going lots faster than that new sign says traffic should be going. (Sudden slow-downs, anyone?)
  • MLR: Red on the right side of the road, yellow in the middle separating opposing traffic, lots of shading and other things. It nominally obeys traffic lights and stop signs, coming to a halt and starting up again. This is important: Can and will switch lanes without asking when following a route, and that function can't be modified without turning off NoA. (That is: It's NoA or Nothing on this function.) Same funny business as LAH regarding speed limit signs.
  • LR: FSD-beta works, it does NoA, does a decent job of missing cars in odd places (will go around lawn service trucks.. mostly). No limits on speed.
And, before everybody jumps on me: For the Beta, MLR and LR are very much a work in progress with lots and lots of errors, some dangerous.

NJ is a populous state so there's every possibility that if Tesla is classifying roads and hasn't gotten to some; well, so far, they've all gotten the treatment seen above. It doesn't look like they're mapping roads, although I'll admit that, on places where the local roads colors pop up on LAH exit ramps, that kinda looks like somebody, somewhere, has made a note.

With FSD beta, my experience is that NOA is engaged when on a freeway, or other freeway-like highway as well as any highway outside of city limits with speed limit of 65 mph, or greater. I regularly drive on 2-lane rural highways with speed limits between 65 and 75 MPH. The car uses NOA on these roads. When entering a city limit, or when the speed limit drops below 65 (often at the same time), the car switches to FSD beta.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and JHCCAZ
when the speed limit drops below 65… the car switches to FSD beta.
Ah that might be the distinction. On a separate trip, I did notice it switching to FSD Beta when it incorrectly detected a lower speed limit, but it seemed to handle driving fine above 65mph:
us101-fsd-77mph-jpg.785956

To be clear, the CA highways through the forests did have 65mph speed limit with T-intersection stop signs for the connecting smaller road while staying on NoA stack although limited to 5mph over the speed limit.

Ah that might be the distinction. On a separate trip, I did notice it switching to FSD Beta when it incorrectly detected a lower speed limit, but it seemed to handle driving fine above 65mph:
us101-fsd-77mph-jpg.785956

To be clear, the CA highways through the forests did have 65mph speed limit with T-intersection stop signs for the connecting smaller road while staying on NoA stack although limited to 5mph over the speed limit.
I don't think the system makes any distinction based on speed limits. Most of the interstates around Minneapolis have a speed limit of 55 or 60 but still use the AP stack rather than FSD.

So, mapping thought I was on the exit road, even though I was still in the #2 lane of the freeway. Realizing this, I put my foot over the accelerator, and had my finger on the right scroll wheel, ready for what I knew would happen. Sure enough, as I approached the end of the exit road on the map, the car suddenly switched from 75MPH to 40MPH, and the car started to brake pretty aggressively. But I immediately put my foot down and keep the speed up, while scrolling up the wheel back to 75MPH.

So - there must be mapping speed limit data, where the car thought it was on a different road than the freeway and adjusted speed to 40MPH based on that map data.

I would also imagine that some people who experience sudden speed limit changes on freeways/highways may be having a GPS issue where the car thinks it's not on the freeway anymore and is on a side road, then setting speed accordingly.

In this case, any car from any manufacturer would likely suffer the same issue if they were using mapping data for speed limits, and the GPS thinks the car is on a different road due to lane shifts (construction) or errors in GPS.

Many people are seeing GPS issues with 10.12 and it may have something to do with the cabin camera interfering with the GPS antenna.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg