Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
So, NHTSA is now concerned about the driver's feelings?
In spite of the narrative somehow inexplicably built up around this, this was a voluntary recall by Tesla. Was NHTSA “looking into” reports? Maybe. Would they have forced a recall eventually? Maybe. For this stop issue alone? I doubt it.

Anyway my guess is that people were complaining about the car not stopping, when it was stopping, and filing reports with NHTSA or something like that.

No idea really. But people should focus on what has been said and not read more into it.

I was just happy to hear about this initially because I thought that it might mean they would make the car stop like a normal person would (not sure what else “feel natural” would mean). I did not have high hopes of course.

Things have turned out as expected.

I will hold out hope for an improved profile. Maybe they just have it in the release notes but haven’t actually made any changes. Quite possible. Just a placeholder; this appears to be the main purpose of 11.3.

Last edited:
In spite of the narrative somehow inexplicably built up around this, this was a voluntary recall by Tesla. Was NHTSA “looking into” reports? Maybe. Would they have forced a recall eventually? Maybe. For this stop issue alone? I doubt it.
Tesla obviously knew that NHTSA would force a recall, so they agreed to do it voluntarily. They could have tried to fight it, but might have be barred from rolling out FSDb until the fight is settled. And, then they would still likely need to do the recall. That would be a disaster, so they gave in, like just about everyone else.

Most of the issues are pretty obvious problems anyway that need fixing. The stop sign one is the only one that is marginal. Also probably the easiest to fix.

Driving laws in the US are weird. You have stop signs where everyone's angry if you actually stop at them, and you have speed limits where (according to the recent Chuck videos) obeying the speed limit means you'll be dangerously slow? ;)

I had the idea that it was the other way and you had a huge number of patrolling police (relatively rare in the UK these days) and traffic laws were fairly tightly enforced.

While we're on the topic could someone confirm what the US driving laws are for this scenario, please (link has a timestamp)?
In the UK, if you had a green light at a junction but traffic prevents your turn you're fine to pull in to the junction and wait*, then take the gap where the lights change to complete your turn but Chuck's commentary suggests that's not allowed in Florida?

* There are obviously junctions where this is not a good idea. These will have a special marking (yellow cross hatched box on the floor) and the rule is that you must not enter the box unless you're able to exit it immediately. These are also used to prevent queueing cars blocking exit turns etc in some places.

Last edited:
Driving laws in the US are weird. You have stop signs where everyone's angry if you actually stop at them, and you have speed limits where (according to the recent Chuck videos) obeying the speed limit means you'll be dangerously slow? ;)

I had the idea that it was the other way and you had a huge number of patrolling police (relatively rare in the UK these days) and traffic laws were fairly tightly enforced.

While we're on the topic could someone confirm what the US driving laws are for this scenario, please (link has a timestamp)?
In the UK, if you had a green light at a junction but traffic prevents your turn you're fine to pull in to the junction and wait*, then take the gap where the lights change to complete your turn but Chuck's commentary suggests that's not allowed in Florida?

* There are obviously junctions where this is not a good idea. These will have a special marking (yellow cross hatched box on the floor) and the rule is that you must not enter the box unless you're able to exit it immediately. These are also used to prevent queueing cars blocking exit turns etc in some places.
I don't know about the UK or US, but in Belgium it is illegal to enter a junction that is blocked by traffic. You have to wait at the green light and may only proceed if the junction is clear for you to enter it and exit it again.

This is of course only theory. If you do this at the busy hours you'll get nowhere and everybody will honk at you/cut you off/overtake you. You just block the junction until you can pass (by then it's already red for you mostly, and you are blocking the newly turned green light cars).

Rules like these are only workeable if every road user respects them. In practice 99% don't so the 1% of drivers that wants to drive "cleanly" take 3x the time to get to their destination and are victims of road rage.

With autonomous cars it'll be great if ALL of them respect the law. But right now, in the hybrid zone where autonomous vehicles share the roads with us humans, I think autonomous cars should be programmed to/allowed to do the same as humans. They can do it safer no matter what, given the better response time.

After watching several V11.3.1 videos seems that a lot of the regressions are happening more on city streets than highways which seems counterintuitive to what we (or I) expected. Wonder if Tesla was so into fine tuning Beta for highway/Interstate speeds that they overfitted for highway and the regressions show up more in city street driving? Seems judging the distance of other cars has regressed the most.

Also the more I watch the more polish I see as being needed. I'm starting to suspect it is going to take a few weeks and a couple of point releases before it is ready for wider release.

After watching several V11.3.1 videos seems that a lot of the regressions are happening more on city streets than highways which seems counterintuitive to what we (or I) expected. Wonder if Tesla was so into fine tuning Beta for highway/Interstate speeds that they overfitted for highway and the regressions show up more in city street driving? Seems judging the distance of other cars has regressed the most.

Also the more I watch the more polish I see as being needed. I'm starting to suspect it is going to take a few weeks and a couple of point releases before it is ready for wider release.
Yep. It all depends how much time the team has and how desperate Elon is to stick a fork in it. Some things might get by with polish, others are so bad they might need redesign, and the rest might end up as HW3 characteristic features.

Driving laws are regulated by the states, not the federal government in the U.S., so each state is different, but in general you’re not allowed to pull into an intersection if you cannot also exit. These laws are in place to prevent gridlock that occurs when the light changes and cars are stuck in the intersection blocking cross traffic.

Quite often, people waiting to make a left turn (= right turn in the U.K.) will pull into the intersection because they will be able to complete the turn after the oncoming traffic clears but if you’re proceeding straight and the lanes are full on the far side of the intersection you should wait to enter.

It's not about over fitting. It's a matter of HW3 flops allocation and trying to fit the entire NN architecture onto HW3. The AP team is constantly finetuning which NN tasks get priority, and to improve one task, another task will likely get worse.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I will hold out hope for an improved profile. Maybe they just have it in the release notes but haven’t actually made any changes. Quite possible. Just a placeholder; this appears to be the main purpose of 11.3.

I fantasize about getting 1:1 attention from Elon, having him in my passenger seat, and showing him all the stop signs getting out of my neighborhood and looking him in the eye and asking, "how is this acceptable? how has this not been addressed at all in the last year???"

I really don't get how the car can appropriately decelerate for a red light (most of the time), but can't do the same for a stop sign.

Do most people have V11? I
I fantasize about getting 1:1 attention from Elon, having him in my passenger seat, and showing him all the stop signs getting out of my neighborhood and looking him in the eye and asking, "how is this acceptable? how has this not been addressed at all in the last year???"
“Woke stop signs, who needs them”

I really don't get how the car can appropriately decelerate for a red light (most of the time), but can't do the same for a stop sign.
The problem is that it does appropriately stop for signs where I live. Stop sign behavior is the same for me as red lights. It's something else for others in different map areas? I'd love to see if the stop early by 30 feet and creep to the stop sign happens when that car comes to my area. And I'd love to see if my car has that behavior if I drive in those areas.

The problem is that it does appropriately stop for signs where I live. Stop sign behavior is the same for me as red lights. It's something else for others in different map areas? I'd love to see if the stop early by 30 feet and creep to the stop sign happens when that car comes to my area. And I'd love to see if my car has that behavior if I drive in those areas.

After the stop, does the car immediately and assertively take a turn? Or does it keep creeping for another 10 seconds when no one in sight? That's the 2nd part of the stop sign problem.