Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Not a bummer. This is a significant problem every day for me and I'm sure others too. Elon has said safety factors in on which problems get priority and suddenly stopping with a car behind is certainly a safety issue.
No doubt inappropriate hard braking is bad for FSD confidence and safety but it seems like this crap only got worse after dicking with Chuck's narrow residential streets and that is a bummer.

Re-reading the release notes I'm surprised they are having that level of trouble with oncoming vehicle path estimation but I guess if they aren't selecting the correct pixel(s) from one update to the next they can get some pretty wild path estimates.

2023.12.300.1… we didn’t get the FSD 11.3.6 beta when it was released. I guess HW4 doesn’t support that? We have been waiting for 11.4 to come to the .12 branch.
There was this HW4 vehicle getting FSD Beta 11.4.1 / 2023.7.5 updating from a 2023.6.x version back on May 12th. So it seems like HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4+ whereas the regular vehicle software so far only includes 11.3.6 (which started public testing April 8th) as part of 2023.12.10 (originally released May 22nd).

Presumably, if the newest FSD Beta 11.4.4 / 2023.7.20 available to employees is stable enough for regular vehicle software, it could be made available as 2023.20.5 or 2023.20.10 so that your vehicle could update to it hopefully not too long later as 11.4.x starting with 2023.6.15 has been in testing for over 2 months now.

There was this HW4 vehicle getting FSD Beta 11.4.1 / 2023.7.5 updating from a 2023.6.x version back on May 12th. So it seems like HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4+ whereas the regular vehicle software so far only includes 11.3.6 (which started public testing April 8th) as part of 2023.12.10 (originally released May 22nd).

Presumably, if the newest FSD Beta 11.4.4 / 2023.7.20 available to employees is stable enough for regular vehicle software, it could be made available as 2023.20.5 or 2023.20.10 so that your vehicle could update to it hopefully not too long later as 11.4.x starting with 2023.6.15 has been in testing for over 2 months now.
This would be ideal. I think it’s pretty amazing that any cars delivered recently with HW4 haven’t been eligible given that the car came with firmware not capable of supporting it. Hopefully now that the model Y is also shipping with HW4 that pushes Tesla to move the software up to the main branch

What's going on with FSD releases right now?

11.4.3 has been pushed to ~50% of beta testers (and I didn't get it! 😟) but there's hasn't been a push in 4+ days. And now 11.4.4 is going out to employees and there's all new release notes in this point release.

Seems strange. Haven't all previous 11.x releases that reached 50% of of the test fleet subsequently gone wide to all eligible vehicles? Why are they changing this up this time? Issue with 11.4.3 that necessitates a pause (but not serious enough to require an urgent followup that only fixes the issue)? Maybe some kind of a/b testing?

11.4.3 has been pushed to ~50% of beta testers (and I didn't get it! 😟) but there's hasn't been a push in 4+ days. And now 11.4.4 is going out to employees and there's all new release notes in this point release.

Seems strange. Haven't all previous 11.x releases that reached 50% of of the test fleet subsequently gone wide to all eligible vehicles? Why are they changing this up this time? Issue with 11.4.3 that necessitates a pause (but not serious enough to require an urgent followup that only fixes the issue)? Maybe some kind of a/b testing?
This has happened many times before. Tesla finds something broken/bugged after the firmware release has hit a bunch of customer cars, and they hold off on further deployments until the next release fixes said issue.

Seems slow for sure, especially since 4.2 is still rolling according to Teslafi. Zilch for me too!

Uh weird I just got 11.4.4.... I never get things early

Screenshot_20230619-221824.png