Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
It is illegal to hit bicyclists in this bike lane (also in general).
Lol.

I am leery of testing these blind-spot and being-passed-on-the-right situations, but I suspect the two backward looking cams will keep us out of trouble.

I've tested this (and it was even at night and the bike had no lights!). The car was very careful and correctly yielded to the bike coming up from behind on the right. It just stopped in it's lane with the right turn signal on waiting for the bike. Good stuff! As a cyclist it makes me very happy that it can handle this.

The repeater cameras are well positioned to see cyclists in this position (easy for humans to miss them though)

• Informative
Reactions: swedge
JB

Loudon county parkway at RT 7 northbound to westbound 7
Also

Willard road WB to Rt 28 SB

Left turn both cases
I just did a quick run over.

Route 7 Westbound to Loudoun County Parkway Southbound from the right lane

I engaged FSD as I approached a yellow light. Car stopped, waited for the green, then navigated the intersection perfectly.

Loudoun County Parkway Northbound to Route 7 Eastbound from the left lane

I pulled up to a red light on FSD, but had a lead car. I disengaged, moved over to the left lane and reengaged. Car waited for the green, then navigated the intersection perfectly.

I'm on 11.3.3

I had other stuff to report such as a dangerous merge, and choosing to change lanes such that it would take Route 28 Southbound when I was on Route 7 Eastbound. Sigh. I noticed that FSD really works nicely when nobody is around, but the moment you introduce other cars, it gets pretty nervous. I wonder if HW4 is needed to give it enough information to relax.

Hmmm… getting onto the shoulder to make a right turn on the 65 mph county roads in my area is basic courtesy.
But… isn’t it also illegal? Some people also see it as a courtesy to pull up FIRST to the stop sign, wait for me to stop, then wave ME across first like they’re doing me a favor. No. Just obey the rules of the road and go first since you got there first. Grrr.

But… isn’t it also illegal?
“Hmmm,” I believe it is…

To add some more “color” to my example, I was behind a lead car that was stopped and waiting their turn. As I approached, FSDb did a hard right and parked half inside the shoulder and half on the road - at a very awkward angle. The person behind me looked very confused/pissed. When the lead car moved through, FSDb did a hard left to move up and then another hard right to make the turn. Failed at this basic right turn. And, “Hmmm” don’t get me going about roundabout non-performance….

Last edited:
V11 is definitely improved overall but still blows through several uncontrolled and low visibility 4 way intersections in my neighborhood which all previous versions have also done. It’s somewhat surprising considering the nhtsa recall. One of them has two yield signs but it also ignores them entirely.

It seems like a gross oversight that the software apparently only considers the ego’s traffic control but not the cross traffic control.

It’s also still surprised by foliage-occluded stop signs. Obviously it will need to develop a ‘memory’ as human drivers won’t ever forget about a stop sign even if it’s occluded.

Ok, we’ve gotten to the point where 80% of testers have 11.3.x version installed. I know someone has to be in the last 20%, but it seems a lot of those would be folks who’ve lost interest or don’t have a wifi connection in their car, etc. Is it time to panic?

Ok, we’ve gotten to the point where 80% of testers have 11.3.x version installed. I know someone has to be in the last 20%, but it seems a lot of those would be folks who’ve lost interest or don’t have a wifi connection in their car, etc. Is it time to panic?
I would say not time (to panic). Instead, be thankful (you don’t have it)! I suspect another dot release is coming to fix some of the blatantly bad performance (e.g., roundabouts, shoulder and bike lane “diving”…) of 3.2,3.3,3.4 and 3.5…. 3.6, anyone? Fifth time’s a charm? 🤣

I still don't have it, but I'm patient and don't mind waiting for the final version of 11.3

My only two real complaints with V11.* so far

Highway driving no longer recognizes the entry exit points of the PeachPass (Atlanta GA version of HOV LANE). Have to manually enter and exit them now.

Streets with a short “go around” lane when traffic is turning and stopped has now become a lane change veer onto lane and immediately back in👎🏻

Example:

IMG_7242.jpeg

How are people doing with speed bumps? For me 90% are missed so I end up disengaging and file a report for what good it will do.
Most have warning signs and most are painted. Speed bump support hasn't changed since I started. Always bad.
It would be great if Tesla allowed a way to add speed bumps but then you can be sure someone would add speed bumps where they don't exist just for fun.

How are people doing with speed bumps? For me 90% are missed so I end up disengaging and file a report for what good it will do.
Most have warning signs and most are painted. Speed bump support hasn't changed since I started. Always bad.
It would be great if Tesla allowed a way to add speed bumps but then you can be sure someone would add speed bumps where they don't exist just for fun.
For Model S and X, it should easily be able to tell what's speed bump just via fleet data of the air suspension.

Speaking of which, Tesla made this huge deal out of being able to gather air suspension data from the fleet so that your car adjusts its suspension before the uneven road. Well that's pretty funny. Over on the West Seattle Bridge the road used to be really bad, and the car would adjust itself and give the message that it was doing so. Well, it's been months and months since the bridge was fixed, and it still raises suspension for comfort for NO REASON AT ALL now. Heck, why am I even surprised? Oh right, I'm not.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Just installed and tried 45.13 Oh my this one works well. Drove for a couple of hours on rural streets and highways. Only hiccup I saw was coming to a 3 way intersection where I was supposed to turn right. Everything worked as it should however the car came to a full stop before turning however there is no stop sign. Every move seems so much smoother and real life like as if I was driving. Definitely on the right track for getting this right.

Both cars wanted the 45.13 update this morning. Unusual as they usually are a few to several days apart.

Last edited: