Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Have you tried 11.4.6 merging onto a highway where the highway traffic is going slowly? (5mph-30mph). While highway merging has improved this scenario is a disaster for FSD in my experience. I've had many cases where FSD is going 2-3 times the speed of the highway traffic and then runs out of the merge lane room. FSD just doesn't understand it needs to slow down to merge in rush hour traffic.
Nope, none of my merges have been in to slow traffic. Merges into moving traffic have been ok, but not great. But most of my driving is on city streets, and it is really good for me.

This puts a little damper on transparency. TSLA claims accident info is confidential information. Apparently NHTSA would need to take legal action to deny TSLA's claims. Seems underhanded as well as an expensive path for the taxpayer.

View attachment 967442
That makes some sense to me. That is private information owned by the driver/owner, not Tesla. I don't think Tesla should release it publicly without legal intervention.

Good on Tesla for protecting owner's privacy.

Both wrecks on are the FSD Beta Facebook group. One merged into another car and another turned into a car into a home depot parking lot.

Both should have been avoided by good testers, but that's the point.

Is it?

Is FSD Beta safer than the average driver or is FSD Beta + a ridiculously attentive driver safer? It's obviously the latter.

Not sure you're using the word obviously correctly here. Or analogy correctly.

There's no such thing as FSD Beta by itself

It's an ADAS system.

The only thing there is is FSDb plus a driver

And I think your suggestion there's 400,000 people who all JUST HAPPEN TO BE "ridiculously attentive driver"s (except those 2 guys on facebook you mention I guess?) is.... the opposite of an obvious conclusion.

A much more likely one is that that pool of 400,000 drivers isn't terribly different from the pool of all drivers of newer cars.

It's not like the early days where folks were selected by safety score. They take anyone now.

The fact the accident rate continues to be much lower than driver alone continues to support the "obvious" conclusion FSDb+human is safer than just human.

None of which suggests they're anywhere near removing the human of course. They're not.

The Toyota CEO is also smart enough to stay out of politics, stay off of twitter and not challenge the Honda CEO to a cage match.
It also helps that Toyota is not yet even aware of the concept of electronic technology. For Toyota, a radio and a CD player are still cutting-edge wonders. A functional GPS system? Maybe by that 2030 date..........

Huh. The SO's Model Y, which isn't on FSD at all, is currently running 2023.26.8.

The Model 3, which is on FSD-b, is on 2023.7.10, which also has the 11.4.4 release.

So, 2023.26.10, if pushed to the current population, gets us all the bells and whistles that have been pushed out to the general population over the past few months.

Such as it is, the biggest recent addition is an option to turn on the headlights when the windshield wipers start up. In NJ and some other states, doing that is an actual law. There's also ways to get to the straight-out-the-side cameras when checking how it looks around one's car remotely, a "warm display at night" option, and a bunch of other niggly things.

Hm. The 2023.26.x release went out and, over the past couple of weeks, there's been a bunch of bug-fix point releases, sometimes every other day. Hm. Like someone's trying to clean up the codebase.

Also from a source more trusted than Whole Mars:

IMG_8641.jpeg

Anyone want to take bets if it's based on 2023.7.X?

I bet it is.

Since 11.4.4 was based on 2023.7.x, I guess probably you are right about 11.4.7, but I will go ahead and bet the other side. Would seem pretty weird at this point to not to bring people somewhat more up to date, and merge back into the latest software path.

Except it’s just a point release. Actually a point point release. Changing the underlying version would require a significant rewrite which wouldn’t normally happen between 11.4.6 as of 11.4.7

I guess it looks like (probably) I was right with my bet! I’m not surprised; usually I am correct. 😂

Should have bet a beer. FSD has been lucrative for me.