Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Am I missing something? I have been using single press in the scroll wheel for FSD and I set it up that way. Is my brain foggy? I press that once and FSD is gone. So what is this new single pull in this update? I am on a travel out of the country for nearly a month and can't tear it.
The pull discussion is OG 3/Y only. Maybe OG S/X too but dunno.

Looks like Tesla increased both rollouts of 2023.27.12 / 11.4.8.1 and NA-2023.44-14828. TeslaFi is now showing this latest FSD Beta available to roughly 18% of 2023.27.x more than double earlier 8% rollout. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Teslascope shows it's only going to those already on 2023.27.x for now.

I have gotten updated maps- NA-2023.44.14828 with 2023.38.9 and still have FSD 11.4.4.
Maps update is a mixed bag.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Looks like Tesla increased both rollouts of 2023.27.12 / 11.4.8.1 and NA-2023.44-14828. TeslaFi is now showing this latest FSD Beta available to roughly 18% of 2023.27.x more than double earlier 8% rollout. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Teslascope shows it's only going to those already on 2023.27.x for now.
It looks like a standard rollout in increasing waves of cars. Likely to go full bore in a day or two.

Reactions: jebinc
Is there any hope for me and my 2020 Model X (2023.27.7 / FSD 11.4.7.3)? I have to tug on the wheel relentlessly. Just a wee bit too hard and it disconnects. Not enought and it penalizes you. Three of those and you're in jail. I've never been able to drive on the freeway even for more than an hour without being dinged. Almost useless. I don't f-around in the car I look out, no phone use, no looking at Spotify on the display, whatever. I don't think I have any way to send voice or video feedback from the system. What am I missing?

Based on my experience and many others, - it's nothing to do with a hardware issue, and everything to do with software. I don't remember which version it was where wipers became horrific for me, - but a couple of releases back. Until then, I'd had no real issues with the auto wipers. I knew, before I even updated my software, that people with the same car as me had complained about the wiper regression with that specific software. I still hit install on that update, and since that exact day, my wipers have been near unusable, either dry wiping or not wiping in the rain. In Seattle, it's total pita this time of year. Now, this software update may play differently with different hardware revisions installed on these cars, but it's still a root cause software issue, - no doubt in my mind.
I spent (wasted) an hour searching back through this thread.

Posts about auto wipe not working and frequent dry wipes started on 8/29/23, shortly after the release of 11.4.7. Prior to that there were a few reports of auto-wipe not working, so maybe they had made a change earlier and then broke it bad while trying to fix that.

The model of cars were not mentioned in all cases, but several were model S.

To date, I have not noticed anyone turning off FSD to see if the standard AP has the problem.

It is interesting that there were no reports of this with 11.4.4, which has been included in the production releases. Tesla will have to fix it, of course, before merging another new FSD release into the non-tester branch.

But not all cars have been so badly affected by the software change, so while probably not exactly a hardware failure, the software works better on some cars than on others.

It could be both hardware and software. According to an article on notateslaapp from May, Tesla switched from using just a front camera to detect rain to using all cameras. Thus, now if there is something fishy with any camera (e.g. condensation, dirt), the new software might think it’s raining. So, people with the really bad extra wipes issue might want to use the new service feature to show cameras and study each image for some distortion that the car might think is raindrops.

Good find! I suspect this was the beginning of the troubles, but after this there were several reports of good auto-wipe and no reports of dry wipes till a later update.

This V4 arutowipers change was released in FSD version 11.4.2 on May 26, 2023, but the current terrible behavior was first reported here on 8/30 with v 11.4.7.

Am I missing something? I have been using single press in the scroll wheel for FSD and I set it up that way. Is my brain foggy? I press that once and FSD is gone. So what is this new single pull in this update? I am on a travel out of the country for nearly a month and can't tear it.
Don't know if its possible for 3.

But most importantly what I want is for the FSD to not fall back to TACC when disengaged with steering. I use the steering to disengage when braking would be too slow .... so no way scroll wheel press is a feasible alternative.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Ok. This is for mostly 3/y cars it seems. If I have to hit the pedal and know I will be over 85 (🤣 when I see those Porche or BMW 🤣 and I am going to hit 90 very quickly) the saving grace is press the scroll wheel and disengage very quickly and leave them in dust 🤣

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Is there any hope for me and my 2020 Model X (2023.27.7 / FSD 11.4.7.3)? I have to tug on the wheel relentlessly. Just a wee bit too hard and it disconnects. Not enought and it penalizes you. Three of those and you're in jail. I've never been able to drive on the freeway even for more than an hour without being dinged. Almost useless. I don't f-around in the car I look out, no phone use, no looking at Spotify on the display, whatever. I don't think I have any way to send voice or video feedback from the system. What am I missing?
You don't have to tug on the wheel, you can rest one hand applying a steady pressure downward for about a second. Or you can just find a comfortable way to keep that pressure constantly and you will not get any nags. If you search Youtube, there are videos that demonstrate it.

Reactions: EVNow
Hold the light pressure for a few seconds.

As they say, a really quick light tug leaves one unsatisfied.

Posts about auto wipe not working and frequent dry wipes started on 8/29/23, shortly after the release of 11.4.7. Prior to that there were a few reports of auto-wipe not working, so maybe they had made a change earlier and then broke it bad while trying to fix that.

The model of cars were not mentioned in all cases, but several were model S.

To date, I have not noticed anyone turning off FSD to see if the standard AP has the problem.

It is interesting that there were no reports of this with 11.4.4, which has been included in the production releases. Tesla will have to fix it, of course, before merging another new FSD release into the non-tester branch.

But not all cars have been so badly affected by the software change, so while probably not exactly a hardware failure, the software works better on some cars than on others.
I have a HW4 X on 11.4.4 and have never had a dry wipe (in the car at least).

• Informative
Reactions: swedge
This was my experience with my Model S until I had 4 strikes even though I always kept my hands on the wheel. Since then (10K+ miles ago) almost no nags, warnings, etc. and no strikes. I don't think I'm doing anything different. My theory is that car now uses the cabin camera more than wheel pressure to determine driver attention. Maybe your cabin camera is defective or misaligned?

Reactions: Bob Denny

1. Thank you.

2. I'll switch profiles to my FSD not enabled profile and see if there's a difference. We are in winter driving now so I don't use FSD at all at the moment (I had ineffective Auto wipers on Sunday when it was needed but the car had FSD enabled, just not used, on that drive, ) It will take a few days to report back since the driving is currently bad enough that I am avoiding taking the car out at all. Even if I slow down and have winter tires on, and drive predictably, the other drivers on the road can't be relied upon to not plow into me, so I don't risk it unless I need to go somewhere, and errands with the car are batched.

3. For that test, should I turn of EAP features as well? (I don't think there are any I would need, the option to use TACC alone would be all I'd need.)

This was my experience with my Model S until I had 4 strikes even though I always kept my hands on the wheel. Since then (10K+ miles ago) almost no nags, warnings, etc. and no strikes. I don't think I'm doing anything different. My theory is that car now uses the cabin camera more than wheel pressure to determine driver attention. Maybe your cabin camera is defective or misaligned?
Thanks! Encouraging. I don't know how to test the cabin camera so I'll see if that info is buried somewhere in TMC's millions of threads ha ha. I've never had a bit of trouble with the electronics though, and the Camera display is perfect. So far, within 30 sec I get the white glow at the top of "instrument cluster" area very shortly after engaging. I have learned that you can roll the left roller on the wheel to reset the timer. In your S do you have the ability to send clips? Seems like that icon disappeared from my screen sometime back.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Are you serious? The visualizations on the screen are from 10.69 or lower. Road edges haven't been displayed in red for over a year.

Why are you boosting accounts that post year-old videos and pretend they're current faults in FSD?
Then she's on a war path with Tesla/X as she uploaded that video Dec 3 2023. But more importantly, let's not try to pretend FSD performance is any better today. That ship sailed long ago.

And are you serious about anything from TMC boosting anyone's account? At one point I checked into to the TMC CT launch live stream and it had 125 viewers. :D🤣 TMC isn't mainstream. At best it's is a tight niche of TSLA/tech nerds.

Last edited: