Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Both our M3Ps, with and without FSD, got the 44.30.2 updates today. The new 2023 M3P with FSDb transferred from our 2019 M3P was on the other FSDb software track, had 2023.38.9/11.4.4 software, now 11.4.9. What I'm saying, and as mentioned earlier, it does seem FSDb software is back to one line. I have yet to test for new complaints........

It is not obvious why .2 and .4 are both going out, but S and X dominate in .4, while 3 and Y do in .2, but there is some crossover.
.2 was released a little bit sooner and deemed good enough to significantly increase rollout to compatible vehicles. Notably, it doesn't include any HW4 vehicles in US/Canada.

.4 added those HW4 vehicles presumably to test FSD Beta 11.4.9 quality as well as HW0/HW1 vehicles which only includes S/X. Hopefully evaluation of this version is looking good enough to rollout like .2.

Except some of us with HW3 had no problems with rain sensing or dry wipes.
I had few problems. Saw a very occasional dry wipe (one is too many of course), in high glare conditions.

Never rains here, so hard to judge that. That is such a personal preference it’s hard to discern how exactly how bad the issue is (it certainly exists though!). My experience is that it is pretty bad in misting rain conditions. But it’s been six months since then.

I came from 11.4.7.3 to 2023.44.30.2 on my MYLR (USS) today. There are definitely some subtle improvements, but a lot of basic things are still regressions vs 11.3.6 (e.g. poor handling of narrow two ways, random stupid lane changes that make no sense, including into short-deadline turn lanes that would take me off-route).

I got the map update after the software update, and I do have premium connectivity and traffic updates, but have yet to see any of these new nav icons for e.g. stop signs.
The nav icons have finally appeared. It seems like there must be some sort of download that goes on in the background. My M3 did get a new nav update, but the icons did not show up until a couple hours after it was done. The MY did not get a nav update, and nav icons showed up when I took it out this afternoon.

I don't think it's tied to the nav update, but just takes some time after you install the software update.

What version disappeared?
2023.44.30.2 (I am fairly sure - have no screen capture but I recall comparing it).

Coming from 2023.27.7 (very up to date, 11.4.7.3).

It’s possible I will be getting the real Christmas update unlike all the suckers who installed this other one.

Last edited:
FSD Beta actually did sort of impress me today. It was in the right lane and needed to make 2 lane changes to get into a left turn only lane. Sure enough, it missed it's chance to move over because it waited too long and then when it tried to move, there was traffic in the left lane. This has happened many times before and I usually disengage, assuming that FSD beta cannot handle it and I will miss the turn. But this time, I decided to see what FSD beta would do. Well, it was hesitant but managed to move over to the left lane just a few car lengths from the intersection. It then put its blinker on. There was a row of cars in the left turn only lane but the car behind me in the left turn only lane waited to let me in and FSD beta assertively cut in to the left turn only lane and then made the protected left turn! So FSD beta was very clumsy moving over but in the end, actually managed to do the double lane change and get in just in time to make the turn and stay on route.

FSDb 11.4.8.1 ......the weirdest was that I was behind a Semi at a red light, the Semi proceeded through the intersection when the light went green, but FSDb only pulled up to the stop line and stopped until it could see the light was green for itself. (I suppose it is the safest behavior as the Semi could have ran the red light.)
I have experienced this behavior frequently. It was present on 11.4.7.3, and some earlier versions as well.

GSP

Reactions: jebinc
FSD Beta actually did sort of impress me today. It was in the right lane and needed to make 2 lane changes to get into a left turn only lane. Sure enough, it missed it's chance to move over because it waited too long and then when it tried to move, there was traffic in the left lane. This has happened many times before and I usually disengage, assuming that FSD beta cannot handle it and I will miss the turn. But this time, I decided to see what FSD beta would do. Well, it was hesitant but managed to move over to the left lane just a few car lengths from the intersection. It then put its blinker on. There was a row of cars in the left turn only lane but the car behind me in the left turn only lane waited to let me in and FSD beta assertively cut in to the left turn only lane and then made the protected left turn! So FSD beta was very clumsy moving over but in the end, actually managed to do the double lane change and get in just in time to make the turn and stay on route.
The interesting update I've seen in recent builds is left turns into the #2 or #3 lane. It used to turn left into the far left lane (#1), then would start changing lanes to the right for an upcoming right turn. Now my car will make the left turn and turn into the #3 lane, so there is no need to change lanes. Enjoying that feature.

No wonder you wanted to pass on these initial 11.4.9 releases that Elon Musk says "True" ;) 🤷‍♂️

The neural network that runs the windshield wipers on my Tesla just had a major update.​
Six years after buying my car the wipers today are way better thanks to AI.​

How does someone come out and say the wipers got a major update thanks to AI? Who says? Elon just agreed but where's the source on that?

The logic is... illogical.

The wipers were, say, out of 10, - a 5 originally.

Over time, the wipers became, say, - a 7.

Then, back when 11.4.7 released they became a 0.

What are they now? 5? 6? 7? I meant, they couldn't have gotten worse (one would hope).

On my first drive with software 2023.44.30.2 (FSDb 11.4.9) which was also my first drive with 2023.44.nnnn maps I had two major speed limit surprises.

Rounding the corner from the 50 mph 4-lane divided Tramway Blvd to the 2-lane 25 mph road into my development the car displayed a 50mph speed limit, and was accelerating toward it which I caught it with the thumb wheel. This was new, and bad.

But then the car turned onto the narrow sidewalk free Tramway Lane which has 20 mph signs in this stretch, and the car for the first time in over a year and a half of ownership correctly displayed 20 mph as the limit (the erroneous value displayed has always been 25 mph). I don't know whether this means it finally read and used the speed limit sign just after the corner, or the speed limit database/default rule... finally decided 20 mph was right for this location. In any case it was good news, and definitely a change.

Personally, I find the display of stop signs and stoplights on the right-screen map mostly a nuisance--though perhaps on routes I don't use every week I'll see some use to it.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Rain sensing bringing HW3 to its knees. Story checks out.

It makes sense to me, there were versions prior to 4.7 that had decently working wipes, but came 4.7.3 which was the worst of them all but was a lot smoother with speed control wrt cars ahead.

Then 4.9 came with working wipers but not as good with speed control wrt cars ahead (I need more usage to confirm though)

How does someone come out and say the wipers got a major update thanks to AI? Who says? Elon just agreed but where's the source on that?

The logic is... illogical.

The wipers were, say, out of 10, - a 5 originally.

Over time, the wipers became, say, - a 7.

Then, back when 11.4.7 released they became a 0.

What are they now? 5? 6? 7? I meant, they couldn't have gotten worse (one would hope).
What is weird is that the wipers were probably a 7 for me up until 11.4.8.1, where they became a 0 for the first couple days, and then they went back to being a 7, or maybe even 8. I did recalibrate the cameras, but they were still bad after calibration completed. (Maybe the car had to sleep on the calibration, like with the one update where the auto wipers stopped working altogether until your car had gone to a deep sleep.)