Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think HW4 makes the difference. The camera placement is the issue. The car simply cannot safely see cars without creeping out dangerously into intersections with the current or new HW4 cameras.
Unless you drive around with your face mashed up against the windshield, the current front cameras have a better view of cars coming from the left and right at an intersection than you do.

Unless you drive around with your face mashed up against the windshield, the current front cameras have a better view of cars coming from the left and right at an intersection than you do.
That's absolutely not true. It's behind your head in the door pillar. The repeater camera cannot see straight out for left/right turns, it looks back.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and bkp_duke
not quite accurate.

pillar cameras are behind drivers head, and wide angle camera on windscreen does not give 180 degree view, so there will be an area where the driver has slightly better visibility

not quite accurate.

pillar cameras are behind drivers head, and wide angle camera on windscreen does not give 180 degree view, so there will be an area where the driver has slightly better visibility
I said the same and it was moved.

It's a large reason why Tesla still struggles with many turns and why so many were sure or at least hopeful that additional cameras would come with HW4, but it seems many Tesla Investors don't understand FSD Beta in a real world application.

You should call the media outlet to report that a runner is alive because of FSD...oh wait...they hung up on you after you mentioned "Tesla" and "FSD" :)
That reminds me of one time in 2015 when I was interviewed by a New York Times reporter about Autopilot. They were looking to do a hit piece. I praised it the entire interview. Didn't claim it could do more than it could, but just said it wasn't the vicious killer they wanted to paint it to be.

I was never mentioned in their hit piece.

That reminds me of one time in 2015 when I was interviewed by a New York Times reporter about Autopilot. They were looking to do a hit piece. I praised it the entire interview. Didn't claim it could do more than it could, but just said it wasn't the vicious killer they wanted to paint it to be.

I was never mentioned in their hit piece.
I gave an interview for FSD for The State (South Carolina) newspaper. The questions were all trying to get me to say how scary or dangerous it was...none of my information was used.

You understand that none of them can see to the right or left, right? Even the wide angle.

That's why the car creeps into traffic, it uses the pillar camera for turns.

Even if you don't have Beta, this information is readily available.

I have beta, I use it daily. It sees stuff (as visualized on the screen) that I cannot always see around forward turns, etc.

cameras1.jpg

cameras2.jpg

I have beta, I use it daily. It sees stuff (as visualized on the screen) that I cannot always see around forward turns, etc.

View attachment 939202

View attachment 939203
Right, even the exaggerated drawing the car creeps because as your drawing shows the front wide camera cannot see directly right or left. As Chuck Cook demonstrates with his camera, it's why his car has to creep so far out. It has a worse position than you do looking left or right, especially if there is an obstacle at the turn like a tree.

If you really have Beta, you would know that the car needs to creep into traffic lanes often to see. Unless you think it's just creeping because it's coded incorrectly? Do you think this is something that's just programmed out of it? Your initial comment was crazy about smashing your face against the window if you know that the front camera cannot see left and right as shown in the drawing.

View attachment 939202

View attachment 939203
There may be some hypothetical scenario where the car cannot see around a corner. I have yet to see one example of those in the real world. And if they exist, it is likely that the car could angle itself to see around or that traffic in the street will have to choose a speed to be able to break for cars turning into the street both for humans and for computers drivers.

I don't think the 'HW3 no workie because it cannot see around a corner' argument is anywhere close to being proven.

There may be some hypothetical scenario where the car cannot see around a corner. I have yet to see one example of those in the real world.
Aren’t you in Sweden and have no experience with FSD ?

I suggest looking at AP sub forum in TMC and search for b pillar camera or something similar. You will get examples. Also you can see Curt’s videos on this.

Or like so many others just keeping taking hopium ;)

Aren’t you in Sweden and have no experience with FSD ?

I suggest looking at AP sub forum in TMC and search for b pillar camera or something similar. You will get examples. Also you can see Curt’s videos on this.

Or like so many others just keeping taking hopium ;)
I'm in Bali, thanks for asking. Can you link to the scenario that is impossible with HW3?

Reactions: bkp_duke