Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean we've had folks post in various threads about it blowing stop signs before, so this isn't terribly shocking. Mine has done it too, though only once in thousands of miles of driving.

Ross reply seems directly contradicted by the actual video- At the 6 second mark the car is AT the stop sign--- still going 34 mph, and you can clearly see FSD still driving (blue steering wheel on screen)

Only AFTER that does he hit the brake and the blue wheel turns off.

So Ross is either outright intentionally lying or.... more generously... misremembering the on-video fact FSD blew the stop sign without himself having watched the actual video to realize his story does not hold up.

See all the evidence clearly in this shot-- speed, fact FSD was still on, and being AT the stop sign, circled in red.... if you watch the video in motion you can see a second earlier his foot was over the accelerator, and in this shot he has almost finished moving it to the brake, but has not hit it yet since FSD is still on... at the 7 second mark just AFTER this shot is when he finally disengaged FSD, beyond the stop sign.

fsdstopsign.jpg

Last edited:
Regardless of what happened, Ogan is being alarmist.

Not just that, he gets his fundamental claim wrong, which was:

Taylor Ogan said:
This should go without saying, but for an automated system to be at the safety level of a human, this cannot happen

Humans blow stop signs all the time. As long as FSD does so less often, even if it's not never, is still safer than a human! (for this one aspect of driving anyway)

I still don't think we're remotely close to Tesla robotaxis, nor do I think we'll ever get generalized L4 or better on existing hardware- but "safer than a human" is a lot lower bar than "flawless 100% of the time"

Yeah at this point Ross seems to just be throwing obviously untrue excuses at a wall instead of admit the car made a mistake.... his misremembering right after I could buy as an honest error- but still doing it now after seeing the footage not so much.

FWIW as I mention in the other thread I can see a possible way this isn't the cars fault- just not one that agrees with his excuses.

He DOES have his foot over the accelerator (or maybe on it- can't tell from the angle) until about 5 seconds in... it's possible the car WOULD have stopped except he was pressing the accelerator for no obvious reason (maybe by accident?) and once he took it off, the car was still doing 34 mph AT the sign and recognized it couldn't stop in time. No idea what the car does in that case- maybe just keep going? That would explain what we see as entirely human error.

But instead of Ross suggesting that he keeps making up nonsense about it was disengaged (when it clearly wasn't- and of course pressing the accelerator does not disengage) or claiming that he hit the accelerator because the white car cut him off (which it clearly did not, it wasn't even visible until after he'd taken his foot off the accelerator and was on the other side of the intersection anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3 and heapmaster
I think the issue here is the stop line is way beyond the stop sign itself, out to where you can see the right side stop line and the car was going to stop at the line according to the chevrons. But the car was going way to fast either way as if it wasnt going to stop.

Ross reply seems directly contradicted by the actual video- At the 6 second mark the car is AT the stop sign--- still going 34 mph, and you can clearly see FSD still driving (blue steering wheel on screen)
This intersection is weird (not defending FSD here, it's pretty clear that it didn't appear that it was going to stop to avoid hitting the Audi), but the stop line for the stop sign is pretty close to where Ross ended up stopping, so I think that if he was over the line, it wasn't by much.

Still not good.

This intersection is weird (not defending FSD here, it's pretty clear that it didn't appear that it was going to stop to avoid hitting the Audi), but the stop line for the stop sign is pretty close to where Ross ended up stopping, so I think that if he was over the line, it wasn't by much.

Still not good.

Someone replicated the event-- it stops in the middle of the intersection if you don't intervene according to them- post about it here:

Like Elon said, the clown is one of their best unpaid QA testers. He finds some bugs, Tesla fixes them. That he pays twitter to do PR for FSD is another level fail. They think bugs from the past will stop Tesla FSD, but Tesla believes it's a future statistics problem. Who is right we will see, but soo far they have failed at stopping Tesla FSD.