Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it was 2020, I don't think it's a refresh. Is your screen vertical or horizal?

There is no upgrade from HW3 to HW4.

It's Tesla's intent to make FSD L4+ on all cars, whether that's possible or not is a mystery, but V12 will work on HW3 and 4.
Sorry. It was delivered Sept 2021. It was ordered in 2020. I have the horizontal screen and the yolk steering. Will Tesla have a separate code set for each HW version?

I have a Model S (refresh) delivered Sept 2021, with FSD. I have been catching up on this (great) thread and have a couple questions:
1) FSD ’promises’: there are a couple posts in here that reference a pre 4/2019 promise re FSD capability which is different than the post 4/2019 promise.

Pre ~March 2019 the description of FSD describes a system that is at least L4. After that it only promises some specific capabilities that you can argue are already satisfied with the current FSDb, and only at L2.

Teslas stated intent is to deliver L4 (or 5) to all HW3 and newer cars. But it remains unknown (and in the opinion of many not possible) for them to actually do that on older HW (and maybe not even on most current HW)

What does this mean for me. Will I be expected to ’pay to upgrade’ (HW, etc) if I actually want FSD that works at L4+.

This is no upgrade path for HW3 cars currently- paid or otherwise. There may never be one.

What that means for post 4/2019 cars is most likely they get whatever their current HW can provide and are (legally anyway) owed nothing else. As I say it's unknown what (if anything) beyond L2 that will be.

For pre 4/2019 cars they'd still be owed L4-- if there's no HW upgrade path Tesla has a few options, they've been discussed a BUNCH in this and other threads already, nobody knows which of them they'd pick though.

Which leads to my next question,
2) HW4: based on the posts in a different thread, I think I have HW3. Is it Tesla’s intent to make FSD (L4+) available on HW3? This thread seems to imply that Software version V12 will work on HW3 or HW4. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Their "intent" was to offer L4 or L5 on HW2. That turned out impossible.

Then their "intent" was to offer it on HW2.5. That turned out impossible.

Then their "intent" was to offer it on HW3.0. So far that has not happened and looks incredibly unlikely.

As suggested they still "intend" to do it though (and on HW4).

But until they actually do it nobody- including Tesla, actually knows what HW is required to do it.

Meanwhile tonight I was driving in a HW3 car in moderately heavy rain and a fair bit of the drive it was locking me out of going over 60 or 65 mph, and frequently locking me out of being able to change lanes at all on FSD, because the HW is simply incapable of seeing well enough with rain on the existing cameras... and 3 different times I got the red steering wheel TAKE OVER NOW when the rain got more intense.

Of course technically "when it's not raining" is a valid ODD for L4 driving so there's that I guess.

Well, this is really bad. I apparently already have the update. behavior is significantly different that I was used to. I was driving with FSD from San Diego to LAX, paying attention properly, when I hit a patch of badly marked freeway, and it disconnected without any warning, claiming that I wasn't paying attention, and couldn't be re-engaged. Then when I stopped, a message popped up saying that it would be forever disabled if it disconnected 4 times! I paid a lot of money for something that has never fully worked and can be turned off at a whim.

I also noticed (maybe related) that there were a few times when I heard the "double beep" warning sound, but without any message or any apparent reason for it. Did it perceive some non-existent problem and blame me for not noticing it? (Note: these were NOT failure to notice nags.)

Well, this is really bad. I apparently already have the update. behavior is significantly different that I was used to. I was driving with FSD from San Diego to LAX, paying attention properly, when I hit a patch of badly marked freeway, and it disconnected without any warning, claiming that I wasn't paying attention, and couldn't be re-engaged. Then when I stopped, a message popped up saying that it would be forever disabled if it disconnected 4 times! I paid a lot of money for something that has never fully worked and can be turned off at a whim.

I also noticed (maybe related) that there were a few times when I heard the "double beep" warning sound, but without any message or any apparent reason for it. Did it perceive some non-existent problem and blame me for not noticing it? (Note: these were NOT failure to notice nags.)
So basically the NHTSA is regulating FSD out of existence. Tesla really needs to open more international factories quickly.

I don't understand what you mean. Either he's on the recall firmware version or he's not.
He's not on that version, but with every change announcement people say they are already seeing it, even before the update goes out. There were like 50 people claiming Phantom breaking got worse the day we found out radar would be disabled....but none had the update, yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Iain and EVNow
Options for USS cars:
  1. USS never used
  2. USS used as backup when cameras obscured - too complicated?
  3. Option to switch off park assist in favour of manual USS parking - FSD drops out in car park with beep
I think they will go with 1 initially.

Reactions: JupiterMan
Options for USS cars:
  1. USS never used
  2. USS used as backup when cameras obscured - too complicated?
  3. Option to switch off park assist in favour of manual USS parking - FSD drops out in car park with beep
I think they will go with 1 initially.

Unless or until they get camera-based parking distance as accurate as USS I'd hope they'd go USS used for primary distance measurement and incorporated into the 3D display.

Anything else would, functionally, be a downgrade for those with USS.