Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called about changing my MS LR color this weekend and was told something similar, that I would basically be getting in the back of the line. Wasn't worth it for me, sticking with White!

Uhm, what? I had 3 different people say "no problem, change the color"...did not change my RN, but who the f knows when my delivery date is now or where I fall in line (and tbh - I don't care all that much, I'd just like to know at this point).

Reactions: Milamber
I don't know that this matters. I changed from LR to Plaid on 5/5 (original order begining of March). Order number stayed the same (1146). Order agreement date changed to 5/5. And now showing June 1 - 30 delivery window.
Phew. That makes me feel a little better
If the RN stayed the same you are still good. When we converted the S and X from prefresh to refresh, we rec'd a new dated Order Agreement but our RN remained.
My RN didn't change so hopefully that's the case w mine as well.
I called about changing my MS LR color this weekend and was told something similar, that I would basically be getting in the back of the line. Wasn't worth it for me, sticking with White!
They didn't tell me anything like that. But I did through chat. Was told my SA had to make the change but that he was out of office. Few hours later I got a text saying it was changed. Eh I'll be driving a MY come early June so that'll tide me over till whenever we actually do start getting these things.

You might rethink keeping comprehensive and Collision Coverage on your 2015 P85D. On March 30 of this year an uninsured driver broadsided my 2015 P85D-L, resulting in the car being declared a total loss. USAA, my insurer, has agreed to pay $72,800 for the total loss. This is based on a very high appraisal because the car had only 23,000 miles and was equipped with almost every available Tesla option, including dual chargers and the ludicrous upgrade; my policy also had a provision adding 20% to the settlement of a total loss. Nevertheless, any good policy would be extremely valuable should your car be involved in a total loss accident—which is more likely to occur in a Tesla because of their high repair costs.
I had 143,000 miles on it and sold it for $24,000 back in February. Comp/Collision was running me $2,400 a year. And I have a spotless record. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It wasn’t worth it to me anymore.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
So, imagine you are going on a trip and you want some adventure, so you book yourself on Air Tesla. Now, Air Tesla, being a disrupter, does not take reservations or have a fixed schedule. Instead, when you get to the airport, you tell the agent at check-in your destination (config) and they tell you to wait in the waiting area. Eventually they call your name and give you a boarding pass to on the next plane to that destination. If you change your mind about your destination, they will try to rebook you on the next flight to the new destination. If that plane had empty seats, then no problem. If that plane is full, then you have to wait for the next plane, which could be a while, but you will get priority over the folks still in line who have not gotten a boarding pass yet.

So, imagine you are going on a trip and you want some adventure, so you book yourself on Air Tesla. Now, Air Tesla, being a disrupter, does not take reservations or have a fixed schedule. Instead, when you get to the airport, you tell the agent at check-in your destination (config) and they tell you to wait in the waiting area. Eventually they call your name and give you a boarding pass to on the next plane to that destination. If you change your mind about your destination, they will try to rebook you on the next flight to the new destination. If that plane had empty seats, then no problem. If that plane is full, then you have to wait for the next plane, which could be a while, but you will get priority over the folks still in line who have not gotten a boarding pass yet.
This is why most people just wait till there are cars sitting in lots before buying one. We on the other hand want it as soon as it exists. :cool:

I really don't see why changing one's configuration -- or even moving between LR and plaid -- should change one's place in line. It's not like these cars are being custom made to order. If there were people at Tesla who cared about customer service, they would allow customers who have been waiting for months to change their car color etc. without losing their place in line.

Arrrrgh.......just what we need, showroom cars delivered before all the folks who've been waiting for months. It's not like they need to generate more demand. Oh, I forgot...we're dealing with Tesla.
There's an upside to the first big batch not being for customer delivery. More beta testing time. If there's enough that's new (and I think we think there is) that would translate into fewer issues for us.

Reactions: Danlbrau
I think the owner manual will have to go live at the same time as deliveries as there is some legalese in the back including that stupid Prop 65 warning. Training videos will likely take some time, but perhaps they have been using now of the mules for those.
Training videos would be pretty funny with the mules. “Now, your car should have wood trim where these wires are hanging out…” OR for @Tigers video “Now, your car will not have this amazing tilting screen, so during the video, we ask that you pretend it’s not tilted at the perfect angle toward the driver…”

We have had people post that their SA said they were not getting any demo cars this year and we have had people post the opposite.
Yes, lots of contradictions. But if VINs for customer cars are assigned upon production, SOMEONE on here would've heard about a VIN assignment by now. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Training videos would be pretty funny with the mules. “Now, your car should have wood trim where these wires are hanging out…” OR for @Tigers video “Now, your car will not have this amazing tilting screen, so during the video, we ask that you pretend it’s not tilted at the perfect angle toward the driver…”

Or it shows someone in the front seat saying "concentrate on a gear but do not tell the vehicle - see if it can guess which gear you want".

I really don't see why changing one's configuration -- or even moving between LR and plaid -- should change one's place in line. It's not like these cars are being custom made to order. If there were people at Tesla who cared about customer service, they would allow customers who have been waiting for months to change their car color etc. without losing their place in line.
You are not losing your place in line, but are you moving behind the the folks were already in line for the config you now want. Say you are at the very front of the LR line and the are 3 people in the Plaid line. At the last moment you change your mind and want a Plaid. Does it seem fair to let you jump in front of the 3 people already patiently waiting in the Plaid line? No, you'd end up being #4 in line for a Plaid.