Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can, please provide the name of the place in CT. Wilton isn’t too far from me.
I want my windows tinted, ppf, and ceramic coating. I wasn’t happy with the place I used last time.
Sure, it's Automobilia Auto Salon, but they are in West Haven, so a little further. Definitely worth travelling up there though. They are real pros. If you do go tell them James with the Silver Model 3 sent you. They are waiting for me to take delivery of the car so they can Tint, PPF + Ceramic coat it. They are also going to measure for some custom rims, as we don't currently know what offset etc the wheels are.

Sure, it's Automobilia Auto Salon, but they are in West Haven, so a little further. Definitely worth travelling up there though. They are real pros. If you do go tell them James with the Silver Model 3 sent you. They are waiting for me to take delivery of the car so they can Tint, PPF + Ceramic coat it. They are also going to measure for some custom rims, as we don't currently know what offset etc the wheels are.
West Haven is fine. Great, thank you 👍.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Well here i was excited.. lol i also got the text.

Tesla Update - We expect your Model S to be built and delivered within the next few weeks. We will reach out when it is time to schedule your delivery appointment.

We appreciate your patience with shifting delivery timing and look forward to delivering your Model S soon.
Funny, b/c my text update I got today just says "From Tesla: F*K You! Don't expect your 2021 Model S Plaid - White with Upgraded White Seats & Carbon Fiber Interior, Upgraded 21" Arachnid Wheels, & Upgraded $10,000 FSD (that we're not sure when will actually become available for you to use) to come anytime before August, 2021 even though you ordered on February 5, 2021. We simply do not care and you'll get your car when we say you'll get your car. Haha. Oh, and have a nice day." :oops: :p

Picked up my Plaid yesterday, and here's my initial impressions for those interested:

- Seeing the new nose up close and personal : very aggressive, very shark-like. I had a 2014 and 2016 S, both with the round-cap nose, and this is like a perma grin.
- The 21's and the arachnids are a very nice combo.
- The interior is a marked improvement in fit and finish. Tight. And that new Tesla smell, mmmmm. Glad I changed to wood.
- The sound system is awesome ( Try "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" by Van Halen @ volume 9 ). The car itself is startlingly quiet. Rolling down I-5 in King County in my M3P is borderline irritating. In the Plaid, it's almost _soothing_.
- The Yoke, after Omar's videos, was almost natural - except for the turn signals. Still getting used to those, but I expect that the whole "Getting to know you" phase will be quick.
- The UI is... busy. Not bad, but takes an extra second or two in the settings panel to find what I'm looking for. Again, not bad just different.
- The driver's display is smaller than the 2016, but all of the graphical real-estate is well used. Clear, clean.
- I only had a brief opportunity to put the pedal down, and wasn't disappointed. I'll have this car for a while ( and my Dragy has arrived ) and will have plenty of opportunity for further testing.

The delivery experience, however, was not exactly stellar.

When I bought the 2014 S: I was lifted into the delivery area on a sedan chair, fanned with palm fronds, fed grapes, gliding through clouds of sweet-smelling, illuminated fog. A harp played in the distance, accompanied by a trio of classically trained vocalists. Some advisors wept openly and freely, as though seeing color for the first time after a lifetime spent in the dark.

When I bought the 2016 S: Car was prepped in and delivered with a group of three others. Bow on the hood, printed card with our names and "Welcome to your new Model S!" sat nearby. Pleasant, professional. "Take your time and let us know if you find anything". A scratch was buffed out immediately. I asked for the badging to be removed and *poof* it was gone. Professional, fast, complete.

When I bought the 2018 M3P: Car was prepped and ready when we arrived. Group of 5 people, went through paperwork quickly and efficiently. Found a couple of issues on the paint and they needed to find someone with appropriate tools, took 20 minutes. I pointed out a mis-aligned rear hatch, and was told to bring it back for a service appointment to get it adjusted.

The Plaid: We arrived 5 minutes early. Busy lot. We walk past the car on the way to the door and it looks great - a few fingerprints, smudges, but nothing that can't be quickly dispatched. No scratches. A random adviser asks if we need help - and spends 5 minutes telling us *in detail* what he loves about the Plaid and is happy for us. We get to the desk, check in - "Oh, I think your car is around here somewhere." I point to the exact car - "Oh right!" Some paperwork mixups in the process - "Pull out your phone and go do Tesla.com, and pull up your account" I'm told - and we get past the basics. Inside the car, plastic covers on screens and glossy surfaces are still in place. We finish, sign papers, temp plate is taped to the window. As we're about to leave, we're told to wait a minute and the advisor brings out a Congratulations card signed by those inside. "Go Embarrass A Lambo!" wrote one. As I pull out of the lot, I notice that the battery is at 40%.

There are opportunities to tune this process.

Summary: The wait for the car was agonizing and long. Reading through this thread was therapy and I thank you all for allowing me to lurk along. I can guarantee that once you sit in the driver's seat and grab the yoke, it will be a soothing balm for everything that's transpired. Be sure and wave when you pass another Tesla!

-HF
Thank you for sharing this @HannoverFist. I don't know why, maybe too deep into this, but reading your story brought literal tears to my eyes! The good ones!

@omarsultan -- have you tested max regen? P cars/large battery S before could get like 80kW (dual motor -- not sure about your old P85)? Non-p dual motor like mine can get like 60kw. I wonder if the new cooling, 3 PM motor, and better cell chemistry allows for more regen during warmer weather.
Dunno--there is no energy app, just the little bar under the car visualization, so hard to tell.

I have ordered the Arachnids (just because the Tempest look aweful) but will need to swamp wheels in winter as I live in the DC area. I was planning on buying 19” or 20” wheels with all season tires for winter. I was checking to see if any of you have suggestions on where to get the wheels swapped? Should I go to a Tesla store or will the local Tire store (Tire Plus, etc.) also work?
I got my winter tires/wheels thru Discount Tire/America’s Tire. They matched TireRack and even got the Simu-Slipstream wheels. They will swap them for free . I did it once but decided that the time it takes to load a set of tires and unload I can change them myself faster. I have a floorjack and pucks, had to get a bigger torque wrench, Tesla specs are pretty snug.

I have an important question about an issue that plagues me in the 2016 MS. If you launch with your phone in the wireless charger on the new MS, does it stay put? I have to put my phone down in the center console right now.
I can attest, the phone stays put, even during a cheetah launch :)

1/31 order for plaid, white interior w CF. Updated from blank to July estimated delivery last few days.
You ordered a Plaid w/ white/carbon fiber interior on 1/31/21 just 5 days before me on 2/5/21...does your account still show "Est Delivery: July?"

Because Tesla reps are telling everyone that white/cf interiors won't be delivered until August and I think that's b.s. My account has been blank for many weeks like many others here and the Tesla RM and SC Mgr keep saying July is impossible for delivery w/ white/cf interior according to Tesla Corp. Thank you!