Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean other than I am pretty sure that regulations only allow Tesla to advertise the EPA range rating. They can't advertise any other ratings.
But there is lots of wiggle room that's allowed and Tesla takes full advantage of that. One of the reasons why their range is among the least realistic among brands.

The EPA should update what they allow to be advertised. From a consumer reports article "EPA spokesperson Shayla Powell told CR that the current range estimates were designed to fit what it considers the most relevant information on the limited space of a window sticker, and that the agency is continuing to evaluate its methods and procedures for determining EV range. “It would be premature to say how we might adjust the label while our review is ongoing,” Powell told CR."

So they are concerned about what fits on a window sticker in 2024 still? Everything is online. I'm saying the EPA needs to update their testing protocol to bring it into a more realistic range (highway speed average over 49mph hopefully) and educate customers so they are less upset with EVs after purchase.

Reactions: teko and aerodyne
The biggest mystery is why the LR on 19" wheels was not affected. The Plaid uses the same battery and everything else other than the drive units.
The LR rating went UP on the 21" wheels from 375 to 382 and the previously mentioned top speed decrease. What could explain this?
Additionally, the LR is just "est" for both wheel configs instead of "EPA est", while the Plaid is "EPA est" for both wheel configs.

I am wondering this as well. Maybe Tesla forgot to update the website

Reactions: calm-one and dsm363
You mean other than I am pretty sure that regulations only allow Tesla to advertise the EPA range rating. They can't advertise any other ratings.

Tesla chooses the 5 cycle test with some multiplier that gives the best range number possible. Many of the German companies pick the two cycle test that gives a lower number but more in line with reality. So Telsa isn't forced to do what they do. They choose to do this. But it is allowed.

Speculation: Why the Model S LR range remained the same and the Plaid dropped.
They now have to test different configurations and average the results. The plaid mode keeps the battery in ideal state. This heats up the battery and cools the battery.

I don't think so.
Both LR and Plaid have a mode that the manual says conditions the battery (Insane and Plaid), although no one seems to notice any actual efficiency difference using this mode. I leave my car in Insane at all times and it doesn't appear to be doing anything over Sport for battery conditioning.
There is drag strip mode which heats the battery up (equivalent to the old Insane+ and Ludicrous+ modes) but LR also has that.

I don't think so.
Both LR and Plaid have a mode that the manual says conditions the battery (Insane and Plaid), although no one seems to notice any actual efficiency difference using this mode. I leave my car in Insane at all times and it doesn't appear to be doing anything over Sport for battery conditioning.
There is drag strip mode which heats the battery up (equivalent to the old Insane+ and Ludicrous+ modes) but LR also has that.
What do you think the cause of the difference is?

If range is important when making a delivery decision regarding '23 or '24...😉

Consider that the consumption required to make the EPA range is quite low.

In the case of a 21-23 MSLR with 19" wheels it is 231.17 wh/mi, of you subtract the 4.5% buffer from the EPA tested Full Pack of 98.267 KwH

I don't get that low, best year to date is 237 wh/mi.

Point is, if you drive a plaid the way it is meant to be driven, a little reduction in EPA ratings won't mean much to you.

In the case of a 21-23 MSLR with 19" wheels it is 231.17 wh/mi, of you subtract the 4.5% buffer from the EPA tested Full Pack of 98.267 KwH

Point is, if you drive a plaid the way it is meant to be driven, a little reduction in EPA ratings won't mean much to you.
Yeah, I averaged 300 whr / mi. 😅

Reactions: aerodyne

I think people are mainly concerned if there was an actual change to the cars other than the EPA rating. Tesla did reduce the pack size going from Raven to Palladium by a small amount, and we're concerned they reduced it yet again. A 35 mile reduction for the Plaid isn't insignificant.

I think people are mainly concerned if there was an actual change to the cars other than the EPA rating. Tesla did reduce the pack size going from Raven to Palladium by a small amount, and we're concerned they reduced it yet again. A 35 mile reduction for the Plaid isn't insignificant.
Now, if they changed cell chemistry to allow more peak power to go after the Taycan GT, I'm all for it! They could swap the cells for something with less capacity but higher peak output. The Plaid is essentially battery limited, not motor limited, above about 60 mph. I wouldn't mind a few extra supercharging stops in exchange for higher output.

Reactions: teko
I doubt they would start manufacturing an entirely new battery pack for a single trim of a single model - Tesla cuts corners and shares as many parts as they possibly can throughout the entire fleet

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne and sorka
What do you think the cause of the difference is?
1704481661845.png

Link

Except on long trips with the family where range IS important.