Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a new issue with 8.6.1. I don't know if it's software or hardware issue. Maybe someone here has seen this. My backup camera has had a strange display on 3 different occasions when I have gone to drive the car after sitting in my garage. Temperatures in the 60s and 70s. Images attached. The last one on two occasions.

I've also had the "purple screen" on my backup camera a couple of times since going to 18.6.1. It's always been on the first drive of the morning too. It was always cold mornings (30s) for me and I thought it was temperature related - but apparently not so based on your findings.

PSA:

Don't trust your back up camera. I also get "frozen" images sometimes where I will open my garage and it will show my the door still closed (which is fine but it would be really bad the other way around where it shows an open garage but its actually closed).

My mirrors have to fold to be in the garage and summon is unreliable so I have to back out the car without a real clear rear view (the S's rear view is compromised at best and I put a Tesla solar shade on it so its even more useless).

this is crazy — like the other poster, this morning I rebooted my IC screen and it is now showing lead cars starting from a much farther distance, probably double of before when they are just a tiny speck on the screen.

When I read that comment last night I thought it was unlikely. Now.... not so sure.

I've had that without rebooting (though my car is constantly rebooting the IC and MCU). It does NOT act on cars it sees sometimes (or acts and then ACCELERATES even though car still appears on IC in front).

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
I've had that without rebooting (though my car is constantly rebooting the IC and MCU). It does NOT act on cars it sees sometimes (or acts and then ACCELERATES even though car still appears on IC in front).
Interesting! Note that I was very cautious not to say that it dramatically improved performance or anything. All I'll say is that cars seem to appear further in the distance sometimes, especially if you're following a car and they pull away from you. That's something I haven't seen until my reboot this morning.

In terms of actual performance, I haven't had enough time to say if it behaves any differently. I don't expect it to without a firmware update.

Got a notice last week from that app saying I had an update ready while my car was at the service center. Was expecting 2018.6.1 or 2018.10, but when I picked up my car there was no update notification and I'm still on 2017.50.2.

The loaner I was given had 2018.6.1 and had all the issues everyones been posting about.

My recently delivered car (2/27) came with 2018.6.1 from the factory. Many of the same issues being noted here - frequent reboots in the morning, "systems powering up" message, etc.

I'm just curious, after rebooting the IC (not the 17" screen), my autopilot recalibrated the cameras again. Is this known behavior after an IC reboot?

I'm surprised Tesla hasn't released a new update to fix the MCU freezing/reboot issue. After upgrading to this release I am hitting it everyday, but I only got the release a few days ago.

Mine is doing this almost everyday too. The new firmware 2018.10 must only work with certain cars because I called in to get it pushed to try to help these issues and they said it wouldn't work with my car. I'm currently on 2018.6.1.

Multiple reboots required for me too. Most annoying. Also noticing the app showing my interior is at 27 degrees C when charging even though climate not on and if it was would be set to 18, hope another update comes soon as this one 2018.6.1 is just frustrating

The worst part is if the MCU freezes and the mobile app is non-responsive. I didn't have the key on me so had to walk back to my desk to grab the key and unlock the car. I assume the systems are independent on M3, but wondering if the MCU freezes would you not be able to get in with your phone.

18.6.1 was acting really bad tonight. I've had 18.6.1 since the day it was first released and have gone on several road trips of 50+ miles with it and used AP almost 90+% of the time. 18.6.1 has been really solid with only the most glaring known AP issues having to be dealt with. Went on another road trip tonight and engaged AP and right away I noticed it hugging the right line. Way too close! Then it started swerving in the lane like it had know idea where it was. Even had a lane change abort half way and the car jerked back to the original lane. I tried engaging AP several time more at different points along the trip and every time AP would freak out at some point. So I ended up driving myself the whole way.

I've had my MS since Aug, 2017 and have gone through many software updates and I've never had AP act like this since I got the car. Even with all those earlier versions. Also, I've taken other trips with the exact same software version and it worked really well. Can't figure out why all of a sudden it would stop working well. I did have the MCU reboot the other day for the first time ever.

Was hoping to get 18.10.4 today before the trip but haven't got it yet. Thinking of doing a complete reboot of everything before trying AP again.

Suggestions?

18.6.1 was acting really bad tonight. I've had 18.6.1 since the day it was first released and have gone on several road trips of 50+ miles with it and used AP almost 90+% of the time. 18.6.1 has been really solid with only the most glaring known AP issues having to be dealt with. Went on another road trip tonight and engaged AP and right away I noticed it hugging the right line. Way too close! Then it started swerving in the lane like it had know idea where it was. Even had a lane change abort half way and the car jerked back to the original lane. I tried engaging AP several time more at different points along the trip and every time AP would freak out at some point. So I ended up driving myself the whole way.

I've had my MS since Aug, 2017 and have gone through many software updates and I've never had AP act like this since I got the car. Even with all those earlier versions. Also, I've taken other trips with the exact same software version and it worked really well. Can't figure out why all of a sudden it would stop working well. I did have the MCU reboot the other day for the first time ever.

Was hoping to get 18.10.4 today before the trip but haven't got it yet. Thinking of doing a complete reboot of everything before trying AP again.

Suggestions?
Best to call the SC to see if they can push it. A reboot might help if you have a dodgy VPN connection to Tesla but won’t push you up the virtual list

I've been running 2018.6.1 for a week or so now. Autosteer on my AP1 car works about the same as it did before (very well), and I apparently am not seeing the "MCU freezing/rebooting" issue. Not trying to brag or anything, but just trying to point out that for some people it's been a pretty uneventful upgrade.

Bruce.

Reactions: chillaban
I've been running 2018.6.1 for a week or so now. Autosteer on my AP1 car works about the same as it did before (very well), and I apparently am not seeing the "MCU freezing/rebooting" issue. Not trying to brag or anything, but just trying to point out that for some people it's been a pretty uneventful upgrade.

Bruce.
Ditto — I had it for 3 weeks or so and saw one MCU reboot, thought AP2 was just a little better compared to early releases. It was a good release too.

Reactions: bmah
Ditto — I had it for 3 weeks or so and saw one MCU reboot, thought AP2 was just a little better compared to early releases. It was a good release too.
After I got 18.6.1 I thought it was the best AP yet. Mostly rock solid. I was even commenting before my trip earlier tonight that even though I was disappointed at not getting 10.4 at least I had 6.1 because it was really good. Then Boom, AP goes crazy all of a sudden when it’s never done that before.

A945EA4D-2A03-4A89-992F-65E67AE92FDF.jpeg

You mean this purple rear camera view? Yeah, that was special. Plus it was reversed initially which meant that turning the wheels toward the curb actually put the car into the path of oncoming traffic.

Happened a few hours after updating to 18.6.1. I had rebooted after the update due to getting into the car only to be greeted by a dark touchscreen. So did that again when the purple episode occurred, and haven’t had a recurrence of either anomaly in the few days since.

Reactions: Bebop