Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MCU reboot randomly again today. Second time. Also two times I tried a left lane change with AP engaged and it refused to make the lane change. Had to manually take control. On freeway with concrete barrier and no shoulder it wants to hug close to the barrier which makes me nervous, especially as it isn't always driving smoothly but frequently making adjustments. I can't say that I have seen the improvement in AP others say they are seeing. It makes me wonder if it isn't the phantom improvements people often make when they get a software update and don't know what is in the update, i.e. what was supposedly fixed or improved.

A question for more experienced users. Today I was on AP and a motorcycle pulled in front of me and I was behind the motorcycle and several cars in front of him. I was nervous as to whether AP could see the motorcycle or only the car in front of him as I did not want to plow into him in the event he was stopped but the car ahead of him moved ahead. It only displayed a vehicle so I wasn't sure what AP was actually seeing and using.

This software update rendered my car immovable when it was pushed as part of a mobile service visit yesterday. The update failed repeatedly due to low voltage on the 12V battery. The technician tried changing the battery twice to no avail. Something surrounded the failed update triggered high power usage on the circuit, rapidly draining anything that was connected to it. Had to go through two tow trucks and a battery maintainer + tow truck jump + jumper pack to get the system to start up and successfully enter tow mode. (We repeatedly toggled tow mode with the first tow truck, but the car refused to respond, other than the screen showing that it was on. We don't know why it worked when a second tow truck came today.)

Should be interesting to find out what went wrong.
What color was the first tow truck? Perhaps the car AI felt it wouldn’t look good riding on it?

I don't doubt that it's actually happening. Last time I tried to call BS on an Electrek software update rumor, I ended up looking like an idiot 2 days later.

I just mean, all optimism aside, I'm not convinced that 2018.8 is necessarily going to be the public release of that. Maybe it's 2018.8, maybe it's 2018.10.... Of course I hope it's sooner.

You guys don't have 2018.12 yet? Oh man! Y'all are missing out! The Easter eggs alone blow away AP1! The AP2.0 updates took my EAP to the next level! And the FSD? Well let's just say I didn't realize Elon meant pacific coast to ivory coast! Oh, and the colors and lights! My goodness, I still can't figure out if I like the Jarjar Binx Heads up Display.... I didn't see that one coming. But wow Meeesa very pleeeased!

A question for more experienced users. Today I was on AP and a motorcycle pulled in front of me and I was behind the motorcycle and several cars in front of him. I was nervous as to whether AP could see the motorcycle or only the car in front of him as I did not want to plow into him in the event he was stopped but the car ahead of him moved ahead. It only displayed a vehicle so I wasn't sure what AP was actually seeing and using.
It sees motorcycles fine but only shows them as Teslas, like everything else (unless you're on AP1.) Hopefully this will be improved upon sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Drove back to Washington from the Oregon coast today. A couple of observations. Handling curves better. I came upon a construction zone where the traffic was stopped ahead around a curve. It started braking as soon as the slowing cars were visible. A bit harder than I would have braked. But impressive, none the less. Sat there for ~5 minutes (lost track of time - on phone) then I heard an alert sound.
A blue “HOLD” appeared (see image)
D62E4B97-3037-4B0C-AA08-7CE6EB9DB66B.jpeg

At some point AutoSteer must have also disengaged (timed out?)
When traffic started again I stepped on the accelerator with no forward motion.
Looked down & saw I was in “PARK”.
Never saw this before. Although I never had this exact set of conditions before either.
Anybody else ever had this happen?
New with 18.6.1?
Also on I5 I noticed that AP slightly favors left. Ironically less on curves.
(Image from straight stretch of Hwy) This remained consistent for long periods.
55440C2E-1637-41ED-926E-18008C5D3CE7.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
It sees motorcycles fine but only shows them as Teslas, like everything else (unless you're on AP1.) Hopefully this will be improved upon sooner rather than later.

Ditto, I agree. It sees motorcycles and handles them fine, heck it even handles bicyclists quite reliably and most rollerbladers too. The screen shows them as a car, but that doesn't seem to affect how well AP2 actually handles it.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Ditto, I agree. It sees motorcycles and handles them fine, heck it even handles bicyclists quite reliably and most rollerbladers too. The screen shows them as a car, but that doesn't seem to affect how well AP2 actually handles it.
Agreed. As long as AP2 reacts, they can depict a bicycle as a gorilla, for all I care.

At some point AutoSteer must have also disengaged (timed out?)

From the Model 3 manual: (I assume the same for the S.)
However, under the following
circumstances, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
goes into a HOLD state instead of resuming,
and the touchscreen displays a message
indicating that you need to resume cruise
control:
You have been at a standstill for 5
minutes.

• The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
• Model 3 detects a pedestrian nearby (the
HOLD state may clear when the
pedestrian is no longer close by).
• Model 3 suddenly loses visibility of the
vehicle you are following.
• The ultrasonic sensors detect an obstacle
in front of Model 3.
To resume Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, press
the accelerator pedal.

And then under Vehicle Hold there is this:

Note: After actively braking Model 3 for
approximately ten minutes, Model 3 shifts into
Park and Vehicle Hold cancels. Model 3 also
shifts into Park if it detects that the driver has
left the vehicle.

So after 5 minutes it goes to hold, and then after 5 more minutes it goes to park.

Last edited:
@StefanSarzio do you suppose the above problem being reported by a significant fraction of 2018.6.1 users might possibly be a non-jerky reason to not roll out to the whole fleet?

Not in this case - because they were still rolling it out to those who got 2018.*-updates. In that case it would have been jerky to still roll it out to them.

Do you think that perhaps the fact that they regularly have issues like this even after rolling out to 1/3 of the fleet -- that they don't seem to be able to reliably detect/fix problems before rolling out to 1/3 of the fleet -- might be a good justification for their policy of phased rollouts?

It take that as in indication that they don't know what they are doing. Wide-spread problems are detectable before rolling out to 1/3 of the fleet. Otherwise they're not wide-spread.

Phased rollouts are simply the best way to roll out software if you have the option of doing it this way. Many, many software companies roll out in this way -- Google rolls out Android updates like this for example.

They did in the past. Which always got them lots of critisim. Nowadays they are moving towards the way Apple does it. Which is what I would like to see from Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease
I have just gone from 17.50.3 to 18.6.1 this morning and autopilot appears worse on sharper bends but slightly better on crests.

One thing I 'think' I noticed is that manually disengaging autopilot by turning the steering wheel appears to need less force than it did before. I would say around 2/3 of what it did.