Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The company cars that I drive for work are korean/japanese and have the indicators on the right, my dad's BMW that I drive maybe once or twice a week has the indicator on the left. You get used to it pretty quick. ...

From what I've heard the stalks are damped very differently so you shouldn't mix them up.

Cool, thanks. I'll be switching between 2 dramatically different cars so I'll learn to be neuroplastic ;)

Brotonne Bridge - Ship 3 has moved dep time now leaving 3pm Sunday. This is a massive shipment. 2 days Oakland load, 1day 15 hours unload Sydney. Cap Capricorn was 1 day. The vins known indicate this is large too.

What would cause the ship to change the unload time? Do you think this makes our white interiors look better with timing? Maybe by reducing the possible slack left to ship?

• Funny
Reactions: Vedaprime
What would cause the ship to change the unload time? Do you think this makes our white interiors look better with timing? Maybe by reducing the possible slack left to ship?

I think it might have been a standing 18 hour time, and they realised it wasn’t enough.

White is still back of the current queue.

There’s no slack. Cap Capricorn in total (aunz) had the same number on it what was sold by Tesla in the whole of 2016 in Australia. The first 4 ships equal the whole of 2017 - in one month of shipments.

Logistics hell - tick

On the Model S there is a small gap in the metallic layer just to the left of the centre mirror mount. I had to replace my toll pass before it worked, but the new one has been there for 3.5 years and works perfectly. I imagine the Model 3 will be the same.
Some model S don't have that particularly if the windscreen has been replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The company cars that I drive for work are korean/japanese and have the indicators on the right, my dad's BMW that I drive maybe once or twice a week has the indicator on the left. You get used to it pretty quick. Every now and then I have a mind blank and I'm like "wait.. which side do I use?" But it's very rare now. I imagine if this is your only car you will get used to it within a week.

From what I've heard the stalks are damped very differently so you shouldn't mix them up.
I've had my car for 7 years, and while indicators are obviously second nature I still cant remember which side is lights and which is wipers (both on automatic so I don't use them that often I guess). I spray the car when trying to say thank you more often than I care to think about.

• Funny
Reactions: Vegas
I think it might have been a standing 18 hour time, and they realised it wasn’t enough.

White is still back of the current queue.

There’s no slack. Cap Capricorn in total (aunz) had the same number on it what was sold by Tesla in the whole of 2016 in Australia. The first 4 ships equal the whole of 2017 - in one month of shipments.

@Vedaprime , given Cap Capricon cars have been in the country for 2 weeks now and Tesla normally calls people at least a week out from delivery (although currently it seems to be 2+ weeks) shouldn't all the VINs on Cap Capricorn be having deliveries pretty much scheduled by now? Based on the VIN spreadsheet by @Random206 there are still loads of Cap Capricorn VINs with no signs of delivery dates.

For example my VIN is 4432XX, which correct me if wrong should be Cap Capricorn, yet here in Melbourne I haven't heard anything more in terms of delivery. Interestingly, TeslaTom has the same VIN as me but lives in Sydney and he only got his call on Friday. Perhaps the estimate of ship->delivery will be far more than the 2 weeks we previously all suspected and more like 4+ weeks especially for anyone outside of Sydney?[/QUOTE]

@Vedaprime , given Cap Capricon cars have been in the country for 2 weeks now and Tesla normally calls people at least a week out from delivery (although currently it seems to be 2+ weeks) shouldn't all the VINs on Cap Capricorn be having deliveries pretty much scheduled by now? Based on the VIN spreadsheet by @Random206 there are still loads of Cap Capricorn VINs with no signs of delivery dates.

For example my VIN is 4432XX, which correct me if wrong should be Cap Capricorn, yet here in Melbourne I haven't heard anything more in terms of delivery. Interestingly, TeslaTom has the same VIN as me but lives in Sydney and he only got his call on Friday. Perhaps the estimate of ship->delivery will be far more than the 2 weeks we previously all suspected and more like 4+ weeks especially for anyone outside of Sydney?
[/QUOTE]

I am one of them too on Cap. No word yet for me too. I think it is taking longer through Autonexus (who knows how widespread the 12v issues is) The info received was right - 2 weeks through Autonexus. I think we can say, we are in backlog already, and if the info was really only 2 weeks for the first group through there to make Aug-1st week Sep. This is why I am seeing logistics hell coming if deliveries are to make end of quarter. Maybe some Autonexus friends can provide an anonymous tip on how it is going. My guess is also Tesla Delivery teams are slammed. Maybe under resourced. I suspect we might be out to 3 weeks, based on calls last week.

Once you have your invoice, and it shows the build date, it will pretty much seal exactly which ship. All Cap cars have build dates 9-11 July. Kota 19 July - so far known.

I know Brisbane aren’t starting deliveries for almost 2 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: TaylorP
Now I know I'm going to flick the right/drive stalk accidentally many times since my other cars have all had their indicators on the right. That's going to throw me for ages. From what I gather that means I'm going to accidentally throw the car into autopilot every time I go to indicate right on the wrong stalk. Is that right? And I'm going to throw the car into reverse when I'm trying to indicate left.

I’m a little worried about this too after seeing this model 3 crash video.

TLDR? The model 3 was pulling out from the lights turning left. It started, then stopped unexpectedly and got rear ended. No biggie. But then look more closely and you’ll see why. The reverse light flickers on as the driver tried to indicate with the wrong stalk... putting the car in reverse, stopping the car and resulting in a butt bump. I can definitely see this being me one day. Would love an option to turn off switching to reverse with the car in motion.

TLDR? The model 3 was pulling out from the lights turning left. It started, then stopped unexpectedly and got rear ended. No biggie. But then look more closely and you’ll see why. The reverse light flickers on as the driver tried to indicate with the wrong stalk... putting the car in reverse, stopping the car and resulting in a butt bump. I can definitely see this being me one day. Would love an option to turn off switching to reverse with the car in motion.
The M3 driver may have been flicking the wrong stalk, however the vehicle did not reverse at any point (observe the wheels). It only stopped and then the inattentive driver behind ran into it. Clearly the driver of the vehicle behind was at fault for not paying attention to the vehicle in front. Definitely would not have happened if the car behind was a Tesla and had AP/CC engaged

No need to look closely. The car who rearended the 3 is at fault. that the 3 is trying to turn left when it shouldn't is irrelevant.

edit: also I might add here that this whole right stalk-indicator issue is pretty much exclusive to Australia given that everyone drives japanese cars here. For everyone else, in particular europeans it is normal that the left stalk controls the indicator. Regardless of the car being LHD or RHD.