Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Vedaprime Here is the invoice. Got it the day after the call.
Looks like a lot of cars are due to be delivered at the end of Sept...I'm a little sceptical I'll get it in time.
I'm getting it delivered to Canberra, and Tesla has told me 'around the 27th of September'. I don't really like that vague wording!

Attachments

• tesla invoice.png
    tesla invoice.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 51
Looks like a lot of cars are due to be delivered at the end of Sept...I'm a little sceptical I'll get it in time.
I'm getting it delivered to Canberra, and Tesla has told me 'around the 27th of September'. I don't really like that vague wording!
According to the spreadsheet data (and this dynamic chart can be found on the 'Values' sheet) there is a ramp up in deliveries for the last part of September as we were expecting.

Keep in mind this is just a small snapshot of the data, there are HEAPS of people who haven't submitted (or would even know about the VIN submission form).

Screenshot_20190917-145314.png

I agree with you. You were in production run of 4991xx range and made it on to ANL Warrnambool. I am sceptical too of the majority of ANL making it in September, let alone to Canberra. Everything has to go right to make it by this date.

I think what is happening is that the subsidiary is transferring sales to the main company for Q3

Tesla Motors may be able to still recognise this as a sale, because the cars have been sold to Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd. I suspect this is all to book as much revenue as possible, ie settle as many transactions.

Could totally be wrong, and this could all be a brilliantly designed logistics plan coming together. But unlikely..

I think what is happening is that the subsidiary is transferring sales to the main company for Q3

Tesla Motors may be able to still recognise this as a sale, because the cars have been sold to Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd. I suspect this is all to book as much revenue as possible, ie settle as many transactions.

Could totally be wrong, and this could all be a brilliantly designed logistics plan coming together. But unlikely..
From all statements I have heard so far from Elon and Tesla, they do not count the sale until the car has been transferred and handed over to the customer. They may be able to wiggle a few days by collecting the payment and registering the car in customer name a few days or maybe up to a couple of weeks before, but not much more than that.

brilliantly designed logistics plan coming together.

Err...no....I think it's more like this at Tesla Au at the moment:

Headless-Chickens.jpg

A person on the FB group just posted that today they've had 4 calls rescheduling delivery from 19/9 to 23/9 and then to today at 5.30pm. All calls in the same day. Doesn't sound very "logistics" or "plan" to me.

I think what is happening here is Tesla is trying to handle a one time surge of business using existing staffing.
I don't think it's likely that they will be delivering hundreds or even thousands of vehicles every month going forward.
I can understand why they would do that and I hope and believe that the current service levels will improve once the rush has abated.

I doubt they have stock. Call Service (Find Us | Tesla Australia) and ask.

Autobarn sell a Slime brand repair kit for $110ish that's water based (cleans off the tyre and TPMS). That Model 3 in Australia includes two key cards. I got the impression it only included one in the US. I humbly think paint touchup kits are a waste - paint touchup services are cheap and much more skilled than I am.

Thanks.
I got an email back from Tesla and they said the service desk across from the delivery centre should have accessories listed here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...U/M3_Accessories_Digital_Brochure_AU_0906.pdf

Whether they have stock is another thing. It's not too critical so I will go and find out on the day. Unless someone picking up their car from Alexandria before next Friday can find out for me? I am mostly interested in the 2x key card (I need them in addition to the 2 they provide for the car). The tyre repair I can grab any time or find a diff brand online. They dont sell the touch up paint anymore it seems.

Reactions: one4spl
I think what is happening here is Tesla is trying to handle a one time surge of business using existing staffing.
They've brought on new staffing recently so I think it's more that they left it late rather than not taking them on and perhaps they hadn't figured on the logistics of Australia (low pop, massive land area). Figures posted here earlier seem to indicate 900+ cars coming on boats a month from August through December which is a pretty big surge. The way Tesla seems to be operating to handle production is seasonal regional surges. So yeah maybe it will die down next year until they make another push around June.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't think it's likely that they will be delivering hundreds or even thousands of vehicles every month going forward.
I can understand why they would do that and I hope and believe that the current service levels will improve once the rush has abated.
But you imagine the mess when the Y hits.

Reactions: Hagrid and aegidius
Assume you’re expecting an even bigger uptake than the 3, also EVs should be more prevalent by then too generally.
I'm certain they'll sell a heap more Ys than 3s here, given the shift to SUVs over sedans in Australia. I also doubt there will be that much competition by the time the Y arrives...have a look at VW and their ID series....earliest is 2022 in Australia and I'd say that is optimistic given their previous time frames. Add to that the Y specs will leave most others for dead at that price point.
Many people (not referring to you, general public) think Tesla just sit on their hands once they release a model and that when XYZ releases their EV in 3-4 years it will be so much better than Tesla, except Tesla will have the next latest and greatest iteration as well.
I think you'd also have to be as insane as Musk to bet against him

Depends on the the purpose.

If it is for the quarterly financial reporting for shareholders/investors, the sale and purchase would net off under consolidation to zero.

If it is for tax purposes, it could operate to recognise the revenue in the US and the expense in Australia. But given the short term nature of the inventory, the revenue and expense would not be recognised until there was actual settlement of balances owning. So again, no benefit to be gained for Q3 purposes.

If it is purely for marketing and optics, it would be great to say "Look, we've shipped X thousand vehicles to Australia - all with owners' names on them!"

Tesla figured the way to increase the numbers for the quarter was to produce shiploads of RHD vehicles then shovel them out the door to reach the RHD markets like Oz in time for the quarters end. Then concentrate production on LHD vehicles for the local market and offer bigger carrots fwith those vehicles to be sold for less/bigger discounts as inventory. Meanwhile any latecomers in Oz that wanted a car that was on the boats and not allocated, could get it/got it before those in line if it was convenient and made it before EOQ.
The end justifies the means! If they need to do it again, they will until quarterly figures become less important.

earliest is 2022 in Australia and I'd say that is optimistic given their previous time frames
You think the Model Y will be here before 2022? But I agree the SR+ Model Y will probably come in at around the same price as equivalent ID3 but be more advanced in terms of software so the main distinction MAY be the ride feel. I think neither will get real traction (European level of EVs dominating the market) though unless petrol prices spiral out of control or more EV and/or home battery incentives come in.

Delivery was scheduled for 17th Sept (yes that is today) but changed a few days ago on account page to 20th Sept followed by an email from Tesla Delivery rep saying due to logistics issue, delivery was being changed to the 20th. Got a call from "No Caller ID" number this afternoon and delivery rep asked for us to collect on 21st Sept at 10am (this is a Sat) and we agreed. Said cars were being delivered on Friday and she wasn't sure if ours would be there by 9:30am Friday (appointment time) so wanted to make sure they would have car in Melbourne for us to collect. Also mentioned that to keep up with deliveries, they were now doing deliveries 7 days a week including Sat/Sun. Let's wait and see what happens now.

Also, insurance-wise, we got a quote from AAMI for $1228 premium with $1225 excess. Standard comprehensive inclusions..