Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah you're hitting on my reasons. The garage logistics are such that the wife's large Kia Carnival will only fit in one of the three spaces we have - the damn middle one - so was wondering about where to put the wall charger as the middle would have been convenient to charge the Tesla no matter which side of the large car it gets parked, but now I have to choose! :( My main concern was that if I left the cable running behind the Kia then the wife would almost certainly run over it every day when backing out... Ah well.

Crude but effective
20191030_155532.jpg

Can you put a hook on the ceiling that will hold the charger cable and drop it down vertically to your car?

You can perhaps devise a system that keeps it well clear of the backing wife :)

My first problem is keeping her and the kids WELL away from scratching it! I did think of a ceiling hook but the up and over door would get in the way. I don't think a 7 metre cable is long enough either :(

Yeah you're hitting on my reasons. The garage logistics are such that the wife's large Kia Carnival will only fit in one of the three spaces we have - the damn middle one - so was wondering about where to put the wall charger as the middle would have been convenient to charge the Tesla no matter which side of the large car it gets parked, but now I have to choose! :( My main concern was that if I left the cable running behind the Kia then the wife would almost certainly run over it every day when backing out... Ah well.

It will cost a bit extra, but you could get an electrician to install a 32A 3 phase outlet on both sides of the garage and put a 3 phase plug on the wall charger (or single phase if that's what you have). Then you can hang the HPWC on the wall, and move it to either side of the garage depending on what side you feel like parking that week.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Blue heaven
A big shout out to the Richmond Service Centre. While trying to identify the source of wind noise on the passenger side, I noticed that the black triangle trim of the left hand side mirror was misaligned with the pointy top vertex sticking out. I booked a service appointment last week to get it fixed and mentioned my reason for spotting it.

The wind noise prevailed after the trim was aligned, and I mentioned it in the post service online survey. Before I got round to making another service appointment, the SC texted me saying they read my feedback and asked if I would like to make a service appointment to fix the wind noise :)! I told them I'm getting my M3 ceramic coated and windows tinted next week, so the earliest appointment would be the following week. They booked me in for tomorrow (Fri) saying they want to test before the windows get tinted just in case the wind noise was caused by the glass.

Now that's what I call Great Customer Service :cool:!!!

So, when I got my M3 a month ago, I ordered chrome delete kit from XPLORE OFFROAD® in the USA. Well the kit never arrived, so I sent them an email asking about what happened. They got back to me with the following:

I just matched your email to your order and there was customs issue when trying to shop to Australia. I'll make sure you receive a full refund as soon as possible.
I will request Australia be removed from the list of countries we can ship too.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Well that's nice they are refunding and all, but I was hoping to get the kit :(

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Got my invoice today and finance paperwork. Interestingly, the invoice says that the vehicle, a P3D+ VIN 5YJ3F7EC2LF462458 has a build date of 11/10/2019, so 20 days ago today. The invoice was exactly the price that I committed to when I ordered the car, minus the ~$1000 drop in stamp duty (thanks Mr Andrews). Interestingly, there was a price adjustment of $2800 including GST, which is likely the price increases since my original order.

No delivery date, but feeling more real every day.

Wow, wow, wow..... Just took delivery!
Great handover experience! Thanks Tesla!
Car has no issues that I can see. Paint work is perfect.
Can I set a speed limiter to 80km? I'm pretty sure I hit a couple of limits that I shouldn't have on the way home.
White SR+. Sydney. Ordered 30-Aug. Delivered today, just under 9 weeks. The estimator suggested I would get it in October!

So, when I got my M3 a month ago, I ordered chrome delete kit from XPLORE OFFROAD® in the USA. Well the kit never arrived, so I sent them an email asking about what happened. They got back to me with the following:

I just matched your email to your order and there was customs issue when trying to shop to Australia. I'll make sure you receive a full refund as soon as possible.
I will request Australia be removed from the list of countries we can ship too.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Well that's nice they are refunding and all, but I was hoping to get the kit :(
These guys get really good reviews and the kit includes 2 sets in case you screw it up the first time: Nikola Pro. nikolapro.com

I’d be putting abusive messages under the windscreen wiper of all those cars & maybe even towing them out

Fellow EV drivers please DONT be putting abusive notes under the windscreens of ICE vehicles parked in charging bays, there is a very good chance when the owner returns to their car your EV is no longer around but some innocent and unsuspecting EV driver who has recently arrived gets the blame and the resulting return abuse/car damage.

There are two reasons an ICE will be parked in a charging spot, 1. They have genuinely not seen the signage or have never seen an EV use the site in the 2/3/4 years the charger has been installed, give them a break and display the good side of EV drivers, show them your car, tell them the positives and convert another ICE owner to electric vehicles.
2. The ICE vehicle owner has deliberately parked in the charging bay to get a reaction, placing a an abusive note is exactly the reaction he wants, once again he/she may very well damage an innocent victims EV, take a photo of the ICE vehicle and report it to building management if possible, but don't poke a Snake that's waiting to strike, let it slither off to where it came from.

IMG_6169.JPG
So an update on insurance with APIA after my bingle yesterday. As someone suggested, Telsa were able to give a list of authorised Tesla repairers, the nearest to me was in Clayton, about 10km away. Service department did answer the phone and sent it out immediately. I asked them if there were any delays on spare parts and he said there wasnt, they should be available, and if not it is typically a week to get them in.

However, it turned out that despite all my research and notes etc, the policy with APIA didnt include choice of repairer, (my fault, it is in the PDS) so they wouldnt send it there and booked it in to their repairer for this afternoon. APIA have just rung to say that their repairer cant fix it as it is a Tesla, and to ask if I had a preferred repairer. I gave them the same name I gave yesterday and they said that is fine, as they are on their list. Only issue is it cant be assessed until 11/11, but it is driveable and I am much happier with taking it to a Telsa approved repairer.

She did then tell me I needed to make sure it had at least a 1/4 of a tank of petrol, I said that would be bit hard as it is an electric vehicle which made her laugh, as that was the reason she called me.

Last edited:
Cant you run the power across to the wall next to the Tesla and mount the charger there?.

Yes that's what I'll end up doing, but it was my original aim to keep my options open on which side of the garage I'd park the car (long story, kids etc etc).

It will cost a bit extra, but you could get an electrician to install a 32A 3 phase outlet on both sides of the garage and put a 3 phase plug on the wall charger (or single phase if that's what you have). Then you can hang the HPWC on the wall, and move it to either side of the garage depending on what side you feel like parking that week.

That is a reasonable option too, but I want to connect to the controlled load circuit and they're not allowed to give you an outlet for that. Unless I find an electrician who's happy to bend the rules of course ... ahem. I guess I'll play around with options once I get the car and HPWC and see what works conveniently. The post above with the overhead run gave me an oddball idea ...

Fellow EV drivers please DONT be putting abusive notes under the windscreens of ICE vehicles parked in charging bays, there is a very good chance when the owner returns to their car your EV is no longer around but some innocent and unsuspecting EV driver who has recently arrived gets the blame and the resulting return abuse/car damage.

There are two reasons an ICE will be parked in a charging spot, 1. They have genuinely not seen the signage or have never seen an EV use the site in the 2/3/4 years the charger has been installed, give them a break and display the good side of EV drivers, show them your car, tell them the positives and convert another ICE owner to electric vehicles.
2. The ICE vehicle owner has deliberately parked in the charging bay to get a reaction, placing a an abusive note is exactly the reaction he wants, once again he/she may very well damage an innocent victims EV, take a photo of the ICE vehicle and report it to building management if possible, but don't poke a Snake that's waiting to strike, let it slither off to where it came from.
There is a 3rd option, that the ICE car driver saw the signs and can read, however it was more convenient for them to park at that location, so they do not care.

Reactions: JohnBNE

The retribution gets caught on Dashcam & they have a criminal record plus out of pocket for damage.
Excellent!!

That is a reasonable option too, but I want to connect to the controlled load circuit and they're not allowed to give you an outlet for that. Unless I find an electrician who's happy to bend the rules of course ... ahem. I guess I'll play around with options once I get the car and HPWC and see what works conveniently. The post above with the overhead run gave me an oddball idea ...
Actually according to Energex in Queensland connection to controlled load:
Electricity supply must be permanently connected to the items on the Approved List, except for electric vehicles or pool pumps which can be supplied through a dedicated socket-outlet.
So the EV power can be supplied through a dedicated socket.