Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The link to the pre-owned warranty coverage is on the the page for each car (under the main specs, left side, below the pictures). Here's the link: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf

The important part, from page 4:

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this
Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or
replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts
manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for an incremental period of 4
years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) from the first day and at the mileage a Pre-Owned Vehicle is
delivered to the first Pre-Owned purchaser, whichever comes first, irrespective of the expiration
date or mileage of the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty specified in the original New Vehicle
Limited Warranty for the Pre-Owned vehicle.

So the warranty is reset. Buyer gets a fresh 4/50000 from date/mileage at purchase.

Wow i seriously hope so. It doesnt really make sense to have 50K warranty when some of the cars already have 35-40k miles on it already.

If true, i think they will sell the car much more easily. However they should make it clear by saying it is 4 more years and 50k more miles from what it is now.

Wow i seriously hope so. It doesnt really make sense to have 50K warranty when some of the cars already have 35-40k miles on it already.

If true, i think they will sell the car much more easily. However they should make it clear by saying it is 4 more years and 50k more miles from what it is now.

Yeah I also thought that we missed out on the 6 year 100k warranty but this is not the case at all! The 6/100 warranty on cpo before the new warranty came out was 6 years and 100k miles starting from the original date of the car. Where as the new 4 year 50k starts when you buy the cpo.

It is almost the same if you buy a 2013 vehicle. You actually come out a bit ahead with the new warranty if you bought a 2012 high mileage cpo.

So in summary I think the new cpo warranty makes more sense.

So I figure the Reset Warranty is worth about $5,000 when comparing to private party sales. Any comments?

Not $5,000, if you consider that's the value for adding to a warranty that is already there, for all of these CPO's. It's a great move on Tesla's part.

There are so few 'Parking Sensor' cars listed, I wonder if they failed to list the option? Some do have them. It just seems way out of proportion, even considering the early VINs didn't get them.

What Dennis says about the softer bushings is absolutely true; be sure to test drive one and look for that before buying.

However, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say HLR won't like the handling. It depends a lot on how you drive it. I like to push my Teslas a bit, and that is much of the reason I prefer driving the Roadster to the Model S. However, I've pointed this out to my wife and had her drive a newer car. She doesn't see any difference for her driving, and has no interest in changing cars. So some are perfectly happy with Sig handling, although I agree it's not as good.

Also note that some Sigs (though I doubt many, as Tesla made it very expensive) have been upgraded.

Yeah I also thought that we missed out on the 6 year 100k warranty but this is not the case at all! The 6/100 warranty on cpo before the new warranty came out was 6 years and 100k miles starting from the original date of the car. Where as the new 4 year 50k starts when you buy the cpo.

It is almost the same if you buy a 2013 vehicle. You actually come out a bit ahead with the new warranty if you bought a 2012 high mileage cpo.

So in summary I think the new cpo warranty makes more sense.

There is a thread about this on the Tesla Motors Web site. It seems for CPO cars you get a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty from the date of CPO purchase but you can't extend that. Apparently it is better to buy a private car with an extended warranty so for example if you buy a 2014 model with an extended warranty from a private party you can actually get a full 7 years of warranty coverage rather than the 4 years you are limited to with the CPO program.

I hope they revise the CPO warranty situation so you have the option to pay extra for additional years of warranty coverage as otherwise for those who want to keep the car for more than 4 years it seems to make more sense to buy from a private party with the extended warranty.

So just confirming above: wouldn't it be better (vs CPO "reset" warranty) to buy a private party Model S (assuming competitive price) with, say, a couple years left on its original warranty and budget in a purchase of an extended warranty at the end of the original one? So 6 years total coverage vs 4 years on the CPO?

So just confirming above: wouldn't it be better (vs CPO "reset" warranty) to buy a private party Model S (assuming competitive price) with, say, a couple years left on its original warranty and budget in a purchase of an extended warranty at the end of the original one? So 6 years total coverage vs 4 years on the CPO?

The Tesla extended warranty is $4k and I believe it has a deductible on it. We also do not know yet if you can or cannot get the warranty on a CPO for once the CPO warranty runs out. If so, then you get 8-years from CPO purchase. That said, you plan is exactly how I priced out used Tesla's before. Private party vs. inventory needed to also include a $4k difference to be worthwhile to me, unless the private party sale was a recently-manufactured, low-mileage vehicle.

Is there any sort of "history of Model S" hardware thread? ie, what hardware features appeared when? It would make it easier to evaluate a deal compared to buying new if you could get a handle on just what you're giving up with a 2013, for instance.

Obviously, no autopilot hardware. But I'm thinking, when did parking sensor appear? When did the improved rear bushings appear in the suspension? Etc, etc, etc.

For instance, if I'm comparing a 2012-2013 P85 for $65k-$75k to a current 85D at, say $90k after rebate. What do you get/give up for that $15k-$25k?

Autopilot hardware
AWD
Parking sensors
Better suspension (?)
Lots more that I'm leaving out...

Is there any sort of "history of Model S" hardware thread? ie, what hardware features appeared when? It would make it easier to evaluate a deal compared to buying new if you could get a handle on just what you're giving up with a 2013, for instance.

Obviously, no autopilot hardware. But I'm thinking, when did parking sensor appear? When did the improved rear bushings appear in the suspension? Etc, etc, etc.

For instance, if I'm comparing a 2012-2013 P85 for $65k-$75k to a current 85D at, say $90k after rebate. What do you get/give up for that $15k-$25k?

Autopilot hardware
AWD
Parking sensors
Better suspension (?)
Lots more that I'm leaving out...
Model S options by year - a running history - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum