Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could ending the free SC mid-quarter partly be due to the announcement of Audi’s e-tron Quattro tomorrow morning? Seems too much to be just a coincidence.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The date for ending Free Supercharging was announced months ago. It first was to change to a year of free supercharging, and then about a week ago it changed to $100 credit of supercharging. In any case, I'm not sure I see the connection between a pretty low-value referral award used to drive demand going away and Audi making an announcement about e-tron, just because the e-tron is an EV?

Here it is...
FEEB2B7E-2761-4451-90BE-CF5DA75F8D36.jpeg

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The date for ending Free Supercharging was announced months ago.l

Perhaps it is just a cigar as you say.
But, this time’s end of free supercharging was announced just 3 weeks ago at the end of August. Audi announced the date of unveiling the e-tron Quattro back in July. So, Tesla knew of Audi’s date when they made the decision to stop the free SC. You can verify the dates easily online.

Still, I don't see any connection between the two completely different events. One is the *END* of a Tesla demand lever. The other is the unveiling of a competing EV. If Tesla were to do anything, they wouldn't be stopping a popular referral award and demand generator the day before a competitor unveils their car they aren't even selling yet.

Why would a competitor's announcement cause Tesla to end a referral program? I don't understand.
Clearly, demand is the least of Tesla's problems now. “DELIVERY HELL”

Musk says Tesla has gone from 'production hell' to 'delivery logistics hell' Musk says Tesla has gone from 'production hell' to 'delivery logistics hell'

Also, I believe that the potential for overcrowding at Supercharger was a real threat with the explosion of Model 3s on the road and the additional Model 3 P3Ds with free supercharging, It seems like the right time to finally end free supercharging, make it a profit center and use the revenue to expand the capacity.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Clearly, demand is the least of Tesla's problems now. “DELIVERY HELL”

Musk says Tesla has gone from 'production hell' to 'delivery logistics hell' Musk says Tesla has gone from 'production hell' to 'delivery logistics hell'

But those "hells" are all related to Model 3. Not really Model S or X. Elon Musk also said concerning delivery hell: "but this problem is far more tractable. We're making rapid progress. Should be solved shortly". I don't see those things as a reason to slow down demand for Model S or X.

Also, I believe that the potential for overcrowding at Supercharger was a real threat with the explosion of Model 3s on the road and the additional Model 3 P3Ds with free supercharging, It seems like the right time to finally end free supercharging, make it a profit center and use the revenue to expand the capacity.

I think we all can agree to that. But the issue here is how is the end of free unlimited supercharging at all related to Audi unveiling their competing EV? If anything, Tesla should be doing things to boost the demand of MS/MX, not supress it, with the threat of Audi taking some portion of the EV luxury sedan market share away.

But those "hells" are all related to Model 3. Not really Model S or X. Elon Musk also said concerning delivery hell: "but this problem is far more tractable. We're making rapid progress. Should be solved shortly". I don't see those things as a reason to slow down demand for Model S or X.

I think we all can agree to that. But the issue here is how is the end of free unlimited supercharging at all related to Audi unveiling their competing EV? If anything, Tesla should be doing things to boost the demand of MS/MX, not supress it, with the threat of Audi taking some portion of the EV luxury sedan market share away.
Sorry,
Probably should have just replied generally, however, to be clear, I don’t believe the Audi unveiling is a factor. I should have opened with that, before laying out the factors I believe are in play here.
As far as the S and X goes. There is a limit to production capacity.
I’m also guessing there will be a considerable coattails effect with Model S Model X sales from people who intend to test drive and or purchase a Model 3 and end up buying an X or an S instead or in addition as I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
No reset on the counter for this round so we are in phase 9E I guess, which started in 2017. I hit 5 and won 2 Powerwalls in phase 9 so I am happy. I have all my prizes except the 4 powerwalls that are owed to me. Maybe I will get them next year, but who knows.

Given that there are still prizes for the owners, we will see folks working to get their 5 prizes. We should also see those wanting a roadster working on their referrals, but I am out.

OMG Elon Musk has made it very clear that free supercharging will end tonight and NEVER COME BACK. Today is the LAST DAY EVER to take advantage if you are in the position to buy a new Tesla model S, X or 3 Performance. You can even put down a deposit and defer delivery until it suits you.

Before it's too late use my referral code for free supercharging for life: Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.