Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this might be it Tesla will end referral program to help Model 3 cost, says Elon Musk

This month is the last opportunity to take the leap if you have been on the fence, as indicated by Elon, the referral program will end Feb 1st, 2019.

With that said, anyone looking for a referral code can use my Tesla referral link to get six months of free Supercharging on Model S, Model X or Model 3. Tesla Supercharging Credit and Extended Solar Warranty mark47276

European Orders, can also use this direct link: Start your Model 3 Order here!

Feel free to PM me and I can help answer any questions you may have, as others kindly did for me when I ordered.
For those who order...Welcome to the Tesla family in advance!

Time is running out to use my referral code:
Here you go. daniel5646
Link:
Tesla Supercharging Credit and Extended Solar Warranty

*9 months free Supercharging
If you order without ever having taken a test drive with Tesla, you will receive an additional three months of free Supercharging. They will also have three calendar days after taking delivery to return their vehicle.

You can use my Tesla referral link to get six months of free Supercharging on Model S, Model X or Model 3. You can also get a 5-year extended warranty on solar panels.

Tesla Supercharging Credit and Extended Solar Warranty

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Why is this ending?

Does Tesla no longer need to incentivize people to refer their friends?

Or

Was the referral program a way for youtubers to rack up all prizes?

Or

Too many people were "selling" their code or offering an incentive? I.e. "use my code and PM me for a special reward.

Why is this ending?

Does Tesla no longer need to incentivize people to refer their friends?

Or

Was the referral program a way for youtubers to rack up all prizes?

Or

Too many people were "selling" their code or offering an incentive? I.e. "use my code and PM me for a special reward.
My opinion...
I don’t think it works as production scales with the Model 3. Initially Model 3s were not allowed to use referral codes for orders. Now they can give and get referral codes, causing explosive growth in the program. Tesla has likely projected the growth/cost over time and are taking steps to ensure future profitability. Also, free Supercharging is unsustainable at present with the influx of Model 3s that are now pushing Supercharger capacity to the max at peak travel times. (Holiday weekends...)

Compare the Supercharger traffic at the Kettleman City Supercharger in these 2 videos I posted.
Insane difference, one year later.

Pre-Christmas weekend 2018

Pre-Christmas weekend 2017

My opinion...
I don’t think it works as production scales with the Model 3. Initially Model 3s were not allowed to use referral codes for orders. Now they can give and get referral codes, causing explosive growth in the program. Tesla has likely projected the growth/cost over time and are taking steps to ensure future profitability. Also, free Supercharging is unsustainable at present with the influx of Model 3s that are now pushing Supercharger capacity to the max at peak travel times. (Holiday weekends...)

Compare the Supercharger traffic at the Kettleman City Supercharger in these 2 videos I posted.
Insane difference, one year later.

Pre-Christmas weekend 2018

Pre-Christmas weekend 2017
Originally, the Model 3 wasn't eligible for the referral program. When they opened it up for the LR and then the MR Model 3, I figured it would end pretty soon. They can't afford to give away a $5000 value prize (secret level roadster referral value) on every Model 3 they sell. On an S or X, it's a much smaller percentage of the price of the car.

They can't afford to give away a $5000 value prize (secret level roadster referral value)

But it doesn't really cost them $5000 in an accounting sense. It costs them 2% of the COGS+labor**.

You could argue that the opportunity cost of giving away 2% of the sales price of a NGR is $5000-COGS+labor, but that's not how it would be accounted for. Say it actually costs $100k to source and build a NGR.. the actual accounting cost would be $2k** and the opportunity cost $3k. But opportunity cost doesn't hit the books.

But yes, $2k is not a cheap incentive, and yes, a greater proportion of an M3 vs MX/MS.

**Generally speaking. There are other allocated costs like R+D, marketing, financing, inventory, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
But it doesn't really cost them $5000 in an accounting sense. It costs them 2% of the COGS+labor**.

You could argue that the opportunity cost of giving away 2% of the sales price of a NGR is $5000-COGS+labor, but that's not how it would be accounted for. Say it actually costs $100k to source and build a NGR.. the actual accounting cost would be $2k** and the opportunity cost $3k. But opportunity cost doesn't hit the books.

But yes, $2k is not a cheap incentive, and yes, a greater proportion of an M3 vs MX/MS.

**Generally speaking. There are other allocated costs like R+D, marketing, financing, inventory, etc.
Yeah, no matter what it actually costs them, offering the exact same credit on a Model 3 referral vs. a P100D referral isn't sustainable. If only they had set up different "levels" of referral credits...such as 1 credit for a Model 3 MR, 2 credits for a Model S, 3 credits for a P100D, etc. and it would've required 150 referral "credits" instead of just 50 referrals for the new roadster. That would've made it more complicated...but maybe it would've been more sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.