Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will TMC have a policy to prevent people who've already decided to buy a Model S from creating "I'm buying a Model S, who wants to be my friend today?" threads?

This goes against the spirit of what Tesla if trying to offer, but given that the buyer also gets a $1K reward, such threads might be started.

That policy is useless anyway. Fb for instance can be used.

This new campaign will guarantee, no one will pay normal price.

I'm long TSLA stock and have been an enthusiastic supporter but I don't like the "smell" of this referral program. Diminishes the brand and looks like a cheap marketing gimmick to increase sales (while the company repeatedly said that demand is not an issue). I've sold more than 10 cars since I got my Sig in 2012 .... because I believed in Tesla. Now, I'm less inclined to "recommend" the car to get paid for it. The only way this would make sense to me would be to close the galleries and use this program as a replacement. Then current owners showcase their cars and you get test drives at service centers. This would cut the cost of sales from 2K per car to 1K per car.

I'm fully with you joefee. I'll just shut up about Tesla until the "grace period" is over, i.e. October 31st.

should be interesting to see how Tesla handles pay per click campaigns for the referral links, doesn't look like Tesla advised google adwords to not allow ads using the trademark Tesla name, there are already multiple people paying per click for "tesla coupon" and "tesla discount" in google search, that brings the visitor to a page that has the referral link on there, and some are directly sending them to the referral link making it look like a real Tesla ad. Shouldn't take very long to sell 10 cars like this...

Admins, if this is not OK, please delete this thread.

I am sure there are lots of people who are now wanting a referral link to get a discount on their Model S. I have seen threads like this on other car forums, so I thought this might be a good idea.

If you would like a referral code to buy your car with, post in this thread requesting one. From there, someone who is able to provide you with a code will quote your thread letting you know that one is on the way, and then will PM the link to you. This will make codes available to anyone who needs them, and prevent people from making a thousand posts saying "here is my code, please use it!"

Sorry but I'm siding with FTLRKT here. Not everyone is drinking the board Kool Aid. And what difference does it make if someone has a handful of posts? Does that make their limited contribution any less valuable?

I do not believe that only having a handful of posts in and of itself make a poster's contributions less valuable. I do believe that in the case I was referring to, the very few posts over three years before posting in an attempt to "use" TMC for personal gain helped highlight the attempted abuse.

I, and I hope most others, view TMC as a community. A community is about give and take. When new members join the community, at first they generally benefit from the community more than they give back to it, in the form of knowledge they are gaining from reading the posts, etc. But before long these new members are giving back to the community by participating in discussions and often helping even newer community members.

In my mind, someone who had fewer than ten forum posts in over three years was not making much of an effort to participate in or contribute to the community. The fact that he or she then saw an opportunity to attempt to "use" the community for personal gain speaks volumes. That's how the number of posts factors in, in my mind.

Neither of them would ever think of doing it, but if Bonnie or Nigel or someone who has contributed a great deal over a very long time were attempting, in some small way, to benefit in some personal way from a post on the forums, I think in general the community members would have much less of a problem with it, because of what those people have already done for the community. Of course that's a moot point, because it's not something they would do. I bring up the example only to demonstrate that in my mind, and I think in the minds of other forum members, there --IS-- a difference between community members who contribute positively and those who don't.

That's not what I meant. I posted and suggested that getting a code would be easy and said the first person to put one in my PM box wins in an effort to illustrate that there would be no lack of people willing to give a code to someone that wanted $1000 off the car.

I'm reminded of the story of the two economists who are walking down the street, and see a $100 bill lying on the sidewalk. They walk past is, as one says to the other "That can't have been a $100 bill, or someone would have already picked it up!"

"Good Faith

We introduce programs such as these in good faith and expect the same good faith in return. Please note that we may withhold credits, discounts or other awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable."

Uugh, each time this came up I was hoping Tesla would never do this since it cheapens the brand. I'm now reluctant to praise the car or offer test drives. (even though I love the product)

Nobody will pay list price anymore, just search out an owner and share the $2000.

The good thing is that Tesla at least offers money to both sides. The worst referral programs are the ones giving money only to the referring party.
Super embarrassing once the buyer finds out…
My neighbor was just speaking so highly of his mediocre pest control company and I hired them. Once I had signed up, they told I get 20% off on the services going forward if I refer somebody "to make sure everybody is taken care of" Cheesiest thing I ever heard. Now I feel embarrassed for my neighbor, definitively left a bad taste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.