Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally what happens after your window narrows to 2 weeks? Does it get narrower? Or is the next step getting a VIN? And typically do you enter the 2 week window and then VIN appears or does the VIN appear before you hit the window? And would the behavior be different based on how far you are from the factory? (if VIN is assigned close to manufacturing completion, someone closer to the factory could get a VIN closer to delivery than someone farther away).

I am a day away from entering my 2 week window.

Generally what happens after your window narrows to 2 weeks? Does it get narrower? Or is the next step getting a VIN? And typically do you enter the 2 week window and then VIN appears or does the VIN appear before you hit the window? And would the behavior be different based on how far you are from the factory? (if VIN is assigned close to manufacturing completion, someone closer to the factory could get a VIN closer to delivery than someone farther away).

I am a day away from entering my 2 week window.
Based on my experience, you enter the window and the next day the window has been updated to later dates (sometimes no longer a narrow window). I have been in and out of narrow windows since October. 😢
Eventually, you will get assigned a VIN.

s
It seems like a bunch of resharing/relinking of articles. The Tesmanian and Drive Tesla Canada articles both seem to be leaning heavily on speculation. The closest thing to non-speculation is in the DTC article: "Based on information received by Drive Tesla, the automaker will be offering a retrofit."... pretty vague. In this context, retrofit could be an out-of-pocket expense.

Reactions: xSCMx and CaliX
I was thinking of doing that since there was a exact spec'd MY on the inventory in my area. But my SA told me, anything on the existing inventory is always new price. I don't know who to believe now. 😥

100% you will be paying the current price. Doesn't matter if it's an exact mach. When you click order on an inventory car - the exact price is as posted, and that is the price you pay for that car/VIN.

100% you will be paying the current price. Doesn't matter if it's an exact mach. When you click order on an inventory car - the exact price is as posted, and that is the price you pay for that car/VIN.
Yeah. Was able to confirm that with my SA too. I got confused when someone said you can ask your SA to match the vehicle you ordered on the inventory to your existing order. (see link)

After my Dec 31 delivery got cancelled, I texted my DA sometime last week asking if I'll get the car this week because my work schedule will make it difficult to pick up a car next week.

The DA said they don't know because the car is still on the factory line and the VIN assigned to me may change since its still on the factory line.

Today may EDD changed from Jan 5 to Jan 15 => Jan 8 to Jan 15.

EDD is narrowing. I'm hoping because "it's still on the factory line" I get the new AMD chip.

While I don’t begrudge those who bought the “inventory” Ys that Tesla posted, I really can’t understand why Tesla is letting customers languish in line while selling at a higher price to people who haven’t waited. They may be boosting the bottom line, but really, is it worth it?
Today is day number 167 since I completed my order for a MYLR. Like so many others, the delivery date has been relentlessly pushed back, over and over. I can understand supply chain problems, but to make a few quick extra bucks? Really?

Reactions: jackk and ryneezy
After entering the EDD window 5+ times over the last two weeks and being pushed out, my account just got a VIN assigned early this morning (355XXX)!
OD 7/31, Blue/White MYLR, SF Bay Area

However, no email / text message / call yet from Tesla, and there are no clear next steps shown upon logging into my account (accepted the Tesla Vision thing). The page headline just says "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery". But I don't see any links for doing this, and various posters on this forum suggest that the payment is best done at the time of delivery. My EDD shows Jan 6-16, with no option yet to pick a date.
So do I just wait for further communication from Tesla? Or am I missing something?
PS: First post here after being a silent lurker on these forums for months

While I don’t begrudge those who bought the “inventory” Ys that Tesla posted, I really can’t understand why Tesla is letting customers languish in line while selling at a higher price to people who haven’t waited. They may be boosting the bottom line, but really, is it worth it?
Today is day number 167 since I completed my order for a MYLR. Like so many others, the delivery date has been relentlessly pushed back, over and over. I can understand supply chain problems, but to make a few quick extra bucks? Really?
For some of us who bought after the price change, time is the main difference. Either I can get one in inventory that matches my spec (maybe minus the tow), or waiting 6+ months to have it canceled because Tesla doesn't listen to me when I said I was out of town that day, and the following week was ok.

I've watched people who ordered after me get their cars with the same or very similar configuration and it pisses me right off. so Yes, I'm looking in inventory. If I find it in inventory you bet I'm buying it on the spot.

After entering the EDD window 5+ times over the last two weeks and being pushed out, my account just got a VIN assigned early this morning (355XXX)!

However, no email / text message / call yet from Tesla, and there are no clear next steps shown upon logging into my account (accepted the Tesla Vision thing). The page headline just says "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery". But I don't see any links for doing this, and various posters on this forum suggest that the payment is best done at the time of delivery. My EDD shows Jan 6-16, with no option yet to pick a date.
So do I just wait for further communication from Tesla? Or am I missing something?
Congrats.

From my experience getting a delivery appointment, then having the delivery appointment cancelled, the app will let you schedule an appointment. You may even get a text from a delivery agent.

It takes a few moments (I forget if it was like 1 business day or a few hours) after VIN assignment to have the app delivery section and payment enabled.

Others who actually picked up their car can chime in.

I did buy an inventory Y that was posted.

I only saw Y Performances which is what I was going to order anyway. The only thing missing was tow package but it looks like I can add that later. My first Y I waited over a year for so I guess my luck this time makes up for that. I hope you all get your Y's in a timely manner. It looks like a new CPU and ventilated seats are coming so I hope you get them on yours as my Y I am picking up this weekend for sure won't have them.

Best to you all.

Congrats.

From my experience getting a delivery appointment, then having the delivery appointment cancelled, the app will let you schedule an appointment. You may even get a text from a delivery agent.

It takes a few moments (I forget if it was like 1 business day or a few hours) after VIN assignment to have the app delivery section and payment enabled.

Others who actually picked up their car can chime in.
Makes sense, thanks! Hope you get your vehicle soon, if not received already.

I got a Vin this morning, Uploaded insurance, gave me an option to pay for the vehicle, waiting for money to transfer over from another account. In the mean while I called my delivery center and they let me know the vehicle is still being built. I will take care of payment asap once I have the funds ready.

Download the Tesla app if you have not, you have to go through the app.

For some of us who bought after the price change, time is the main difference. Either I can get one in inventory that matches my spec (maybe minus the tow), or waiting 6+ months to have it canceled because Tesla doesn't listen to me when I said I was out of town that day, and the following week was ok
I've watched people who ordered after me get their cars with the same or very similar configuration and it pisses me right off. so Yes, I'm looking in inventory. If I find it in inventory you bet I'm buying it on the spot.
As I said, I don’t begrudge you for cutting in line. I begrudge Tesla for letting you cut in line and taking a vehicle that should have gone to someone who has been waiting.
Enjoy your car.

Reactions: jackk and marx1

I got a call/text at the same time when I received a vin in app, asking if they can deliver the car the same day. I called back and had them scheduled the next day delivery instead.

The payment part is tricky. They directly withdraw the balance from an old account I set up for my previous MS autopay, and the app didn't even let me make a choice! You'd better call tesla (before you click anything under that payment tab) and let them know you will pay when delivery is happening (inspect etc).

Reactions: ryneezy
I got a Vin this morning, Uploaded insurance, gave me an option to pay for the vehicle, waiting for money to transfer over from another account. In the mean while I called my delivery center and they let me know the vehicle is still being built. I will take care of payment asap once I have the funds ready.

Download the Tesla app if you have not, you have to go through the app.
Ah, it does give me those options on the app! Thanks!