Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I'm not so sure about driving on A/P not counting toward your score. Can anyone else verify?
Unless it’s changed they are correct. Your AP miles don’t help your score.

So drive with a good follow distance, take turns slowly(like you’re driving a 1 ton pickup), and don’t use the brake pedal.

I disagree about Autopilot -- I would use it as much as practical. The miles that are accumulated under Autopilot do count as problem-free miles -- no FCW, no hard braking, no aggressive turning, etc. So the rate for those things will go down the more Autopilot miles accumulate. I don't think it necessarily changes all the visible percentages (that is, I'm not sure if the displayed 5% hard braking goes to 2.5% if you double your daily mileage using Autopilot -- though my rate of FCW per 1000 miles has definitely gone down with more AP miles). However the overall safety score will go up. As a concrete example, I used one of the calculators that said I needed 119 miles scored at 100 to raise my safety score to 98. I used autopilot for the great majority of those (honestly, I'm not sure I could drive 100 miles with a score of 100 any other way) and right on schedule my score flipped up from 97 to 98.

Further, I can use autopilot strategically -- if I can tell I'm likely to need to or going to need to hit the brakes, I can engage AP and let it do the hard braking so it's not counted against me. e.g. if coming up to a light that may/does turn yellow, or if I can see someone ahead pulling into the road that I'll have to slow down for. Likewise, I feel like I can avoid getting dinged for unsafe following by letting AP drive in heavy traffic. I've sometimes done a ~10 miles drive with mostly AP, and afterward found I had a 60% unsafe following (those were the parts I've been in control for, I guess) yet the drive as a whole has been rated a 99 so either unsafe following is completely irrelevant or the AP miles brought the score up enough to compensate.

Back to the OP though, I think the FCWs are the biggest problem. I would do anything possible to avoid those, as they seem to reduce safety score MUCH more than other factors. If they're coming from cars ahead stopping suddenly in heavy traffic, I'd use AP there. I'm not positive, but my understanding is that if I have AP on and I manually slam on the brakes rather than take the chance it will stop in time, any hard braking or FCW won't count against me since I was just coming out of AP.

The one score factor you can fix purely with AP miles is FCWs, as FCW is a ratio out of all miles driven, including AP miles. For the other factors (braking, turning, following), it's a ratio of (non-AP) good examples of such behaviors vs bad ones. So, if you got hit with hard braking on a given day, you can manually do some more good braking (e.g. the speed up / slow down cycles mentioned earlier, on an empty highway somewhere that day to try to offset it, etc.).

If you use AP only for the 90% easiest miles of your drive, then disengage for the tricky parts and get dinged for all kinds of stuff, your score can be pretty bad, because you lacked all the good examples of braking/turning/following from those AP miles.

Other tips: you get about 3 seconds of grace after disengaging AP before bad things start counting. So you can try to use that to your advantage, e.g. disengage, make that hard lane change into a tight traffic hole, then re-engage within 3 seconds, repeat. Also, unsafe following is the least-important factor. You can max out unsafe following for the day and still get a 99 if all other factors are perfect. So if you have a situational choice between hard braking, hard turning, or just getting unsafe following for getting too close, choose the latter if you can safely.

Out of curiosity - any tricks to get a better score, so I have a chance of getting into the BETA - for something I (we) bought over 2 years ago? :)

I am in SoCal - and I drive in the carpool lane, so anytime I need to get out of the carpool lane and over to an exit - I get slammed with all sorts of "unsafe following" and "forward collision warnings". Safe driver - never had an accident - just SoCal heavy traffic freeways!

I am sitting at a 79 right now.

Matt

Keep in mind that although the congestion that causes the "unsafe following" and FCWs aren't necessarily your fault or a reflection of your safety habits, the safety score was designed with insurance in mind, and if you drive in an area with a high level of congestion, the statistical chances of you getting into an accident in that area are higher than in areas with less congestion.

With that in mind, it is by design that getting a higher safety score will be harder for you.

With unsafe following, this is the ratio of time spent in "unsafe" distance over time spent in "safe" distance. The way to mitigate the penalty is to find a quiet time on the highway and tail someone at the safe distance. Unsafe is <1 second. Safe is between 1 and 3 sec. Anything beyond 3sec doesn't count, so you need to be following a car.

FCWs need to be avoided at all costs, as the penalty is high, and the only way to nullify it is to drive insane mileage. Unfortunately phantom FCWs count against you - probably the most frustrating aspect of the safety score.

It sucks that your daily driver is the same car you're trying to score high on, esp when your commute forces you into such penalizing situations. If there were more certainty around new FSDb enrollments, I would suggest renting a car for commuting, and taking the Tesla out at night to get some clean miles in.

Or, don't get into the HOV lane and just let AP crawl along in a slow lane. You won't get credit for those miles, but you won't get penalized for unsafe following or FCWs while on AP.

Also, I'm not so sure about driving on A/P not counting toward your score. Can anyone else verify?
If you use AP only for the 90% easiest miles of your drive, then disengage for the tricky parts and get dinged for all kinds of stuff, your score can be pretty bad, because you lacked all the good examples of braking/turning/following from those AP miles....
+1 this. To put it another way, your daily score is determined from your driving behavior with Autopilot OFF. But to calculate your average score over the last 30 days, it will multiply each daily score by the number of miles driven that day, BOTH ON AND OFF Autopilot. So if you drive 300 miles one day, with 99% of it on the highway with NoA, your daily score will be based on the 3 miles OFF of AutoPilot, but that day's score will be weighted with 300 miles in your overall average. This is what was killing me before I learned to use the reset trick (which is no longer available). Once I realized this calculation, I got my score quickly to 99 and got the FSD Beta within days (back in November).

BTW, when I said this was "killing" me, I meant my average score was 96 or 97, which I realize a lot of folks wouldn't consider that low. But back then it was 100 or nothing for the first several weeks, then 99 or nothing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: auger and n.one.one
+1 this. To put it another way, your daily score is determined from your driving behavior with Autopilot OFF. But to calculate your average score over the last 30 days, it will multiply each daily score by the number of miles driven that day, BOTH ON AND OFF Autopilot. So if you drive 300 miles one day, with 99% of it on the highway with NoA, your daily score will be based on the 3 miles OFF of AutoPilot, but that day's score will be weighted with 300 miles in your overall average. This is what was killing me before I learned to use the reset trick (which is no longer available). Once I realized this calculation, I got my score quickly to 99 and got the FSD Beta within days (back in November).

BTW, when I said this was "killing" me, I meant my average score was 96 or 97, which I realize a lot of folks wouldn't consider that low. But back then it was 100 or nothing for the first several weeks, then 99 or nothing.

Seems like I am pretty much screwed then as all my driving is in heavy congestion - no way around that. I would love to just get what I paid for here at some point - I hope that it always won't be predicated on the safety score.

Thanks for all the discussion and ideas to my question!

Matt

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Seems like I am pretty much screwed then as all my driving is in heavy congestion - no way around that. I would love to just get what I paid for here at some point - I hope that it always won't be predicated on the safety score.

Matt
You can be assured that you will get Autosteer on City Streets when it's out of beta and ready to release to FSD subscribers and buyers. The safety score is only for Tesla Insurance and to help Tesla determine whom to invite into the FSD Beta program (should they need further testers).

Is there a delay in sending this our to more Beta users? I dont see many new reports beyond the normal OG group. I am in the queue for the "new new" beta users...so was hoping the rollout of what seems like a great release would speed up some.

Is there a delay in sending this our to more Beta users? I dont see many new reports beyond the normal OG group. I am in the queue for the "new new" beta users...so was hoping the rollout of what seems like a great release would speed up some.
In the last couple of releases, they are taking a week or two before rolling it out to all beta users.

This is so far is following the MO of the last several Betas. It usually takes a week to 10 days before we see the next subversion and a wider rollout.

The other updates seemed like their overall improvements was just barely noticeable. So far, it looks like 10.12 is definitely a clear improvement over 10.11. It'd be nice if all future updates showed the same level of improvements.
Is there a list of improvements anyone has posted ? In the videos I just see comments like "more confident", "smoother".

Matt
Yeah, your driving situation means it will be difficult to get a good safety score. If this helps, try to look at it from Tesla's standpoint. Their perspective is that your driving situation is not one that will be good for testing beta software. People want to get into the FSD beta program so they can get the new software but at this point, Tesla's goal is to have a good cohort of beta testers that will give good data and not be at risk for accidents. Even though it may seem like it, it's in no way punitive.

psychologically, you may be better off just turning off the safety score and enjoying your car. Alternatively, you can leave it on but quit looking at it.

Back when Safety Score first came out, the rules stated that any event generated that would negatively effect your SS would not do so if you were on AP at the time the event occurred. Miles accrued on AP DID count, but no potentially score damaging event would reduce your SS while using it.

I used AP for the vast majority of the miles I put on during that time. I got a 100 SS and was in the first batch of SS beta testers.

I don't know if the program has been changed since then or not, unfortunately, so I can only tell you how things used to be. : /

Reactions: clydeiii and Fiver
Is there a list of improvements anyone has posted ? In the videos I just see comments like "more confident", "smoother".
I haven't seen anything beyond the release notes. Specifically, I haven't seen anything regarding blinkers and lane selection. In a couple of the videos I did see some of the random blinker action. I'm hoping that doesn't mean the problems still persist.

OK, this explains why my score got so hammered on a 750+ mile drive in one day. I only had a 1,000 miles on the car when I started. Most was on A/P, but I got dinged a few times getting on and off the interstate. I'm having a hard time recovering my score from it since, as you explained, that day was weighted so heavily.

Also, there's this one rural 40-mile drive I've done here three times. The road has well-marked lines on a two-lane highway with little traffic. I get 2-5 FCWs each way day or night for no apparent reason. Also, some of the stop lights and signs don't seem to be in the database. I learned after the first drive to make this drive in A/P as much as possible. I'm thinking this is the-road-less-traveled-by any Tesli.

Back when Safety Score first came out, the rules stated that any event generated that would negatively effect your SS would not do so if you were on AP at the time the event occurred. Miles accrued on AP DID count, but no potentially score damaging event would reduce your SS while using it.

I used AP for the vast majority of the miles I put on during that time. I got a 100 SS and was in the first batch of SS beta testers.

I don't know if the program has been changed since then or not, unfortunately, so I can only tell you how things used to be. : /
I got the Beta 10/26/21 and have Tesla insurance so have been using the SS for 8 months with a 99 average. Zero changes in the SS metrics as far as I can tell. Getting used to it takes a bit, but I no longer feel my driving style has been cramped or limited. It has changed the way I drive but mostly that involves either using AP or watching how closely I follow, and anticipating situations that could cause hard braking. I punch the acceleration quite often without penalty.

Reactions: nvx1977
Or dip your head with sunglasses on. (Like you’re looking over a pair of reading glasses). It gets all sorts of annoyed with that. I think it believes you’re looking down and since it can’t see your eyes it goes “wake up jack”. My names not even jack.
Yeah, I wouldn't take those kinds of insults. I'd start yelling back........Hey, stupid, don't call me Jack, no one has ever helped me off a horse!