Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
11.3.6 with sunglasses nag not bad
11.4.4 with sunglasses nags more now
Elon had responded positively to a suggestion by Whole Mars to eliminate nags for those with more than 10K miles on FSDb. Maybe Black Tesla's experience is the start of something like this? He appears to be in the OG group. I may need to watch a few other OG youtubers to see if any of them are getting no nags.

I've got a lot of miles on FSDb, so maybe...?

Elon had responded positively to a suggestion by Whole Mars to eliminate nags for those with more than 10K miles on FSDb. Maybe Black Tesla's experience is the start of something like this? He appears to be in the OG group. I may need to watch a few other OG youtubers to see if any of them are getting no nags.

Chuck Cook still has nags. I do as well. I have WAY over 10k miles on FSD B.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
...and I bet you don't live in high rise the middle of Dallas or Houston like I live in the middle of Atlanta. Much different prospective and there are not police on ever corner "looking" for Stop sign runners in large metro areas.View attachment 968698
By my "neighborhood", I mean a Dallas suburb. But I drive all over the DFW area. Yes, I see a few people behave like those in the video, but most don't. Rolling stops, as in almost-but-not-quite, are the norm. People blazing through without slowing down at all or just slightly tapping the brake are outliers.

To be clear, there are rarely cops present and paying attention. But about once a year or so, one will camp on a stop sign near my house and watch for this.

Edit: You are correct in your edit--I was talking about people in the video. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Attention confirmation should be particularly present on YouTubers since they act as influencers and teach people responsible behavior. YMMV

Chuck Cook still has nags. I do as well. I have WAY over 10k miles on FSD B.
I'm still on 4.4 ... but the number of nags has gone down quite a bit compared to earlier release esp. if you are looking straight ahead. If I'm looking at the screen or sideways, I get nags.

My guess is the nag frequency will be determined by internal camera.

I'm still on 4.4 ... but the number of nags has gone down quite a bit compared to earlier release esp. if you are looking straight ahead. If I'm looking at the screen or sideways, I get nags.

My guess is the nag frequency will be determined by internal camera.
And speed. At 30mph, I get a nag every 2 mins or so. At 80mph, I get nags at about 20-30 seconds.

Disclaimer: I rarely get nags as I hold the wheel at all times with a little torque. The numbers above were a specific test to see how frequently I was getting nags on 11.4.4

And speed. At 30mph, I get a nag every 2 mins or so. At 80mph, I get nags at about 20-30 seconds.

Disclaimer: I rarely get nags as I hold the wheel at all times with a little torque. The numbers above were a specific test to see how frequently I was getting nags on 11.4.4
Interestingly I don't notice that. On freeways I hardly get any nags - same with city. Ofcourse I always hold the wheel ... have they gotten better at figuring out if we are holding the wheel ?

I have had some time on 11.4.7 and honestly, it pretty much feels the same on the rural roads that I drive every day. It still barrels towards stop signs only to slam on the brakes when it sees the actual sign (2x every day), it still does some truly scary unprotected left turns (anytime the steering wheel starts turning back and forth, I immediately disable FSD), and it has one new “characteristic” that I hate:

It now takes off like a 90 year old blind woman on sleeping medications.

It is so slow when it accelerates now that I am always finding myself applying the accelerator. I changed FSD driving modes from average to aggressive and then back just to make certain that some software switch did not get mucked up during the install. No difference. I kept it on aggressive… no difference. This new “feature” is annoying as all get out.

I cannot wait to hear from @fasteddie7, who also has HW4 (not sure if he is on 11.4.7 yet) to see if he has the update and whether or not he is seeing this new “feature”.

11.4.7 is thus far, worse than 11.4.4 in my limited opinion. Remember, I drive almost exclusively on rural high speed roads and in very small towns, so 11.4.7 may be a wonderful upgrade in other areas… just not for me.

Joe

I have had some time on 11.4.7 and honestly, it pretty much feels the same on the rural roads that I drive every day. It still barrels towards stop signs only to slam on the brakes when it sees the actual sign (2x every day), it still does some truly scary unprotected left turns (anytime the steering wheel starts turning back and forth, I immediately disable FSD), and it has one new “characteristic” that I hate:

It is so slow when it accelerates now that I am always finding myself applying the accelerator. I changed FSD driving modes from average to aggressive and then back just to make certain that some software switch did not get mucked up during the install. No difference. I kept it on aggressive… no difference. This new “feature” is annoying as all get out.

I cannot wait to hear from @fasteddie7, who also has HW4 (not sure if he is on 11.4.7 yet) to see if he has the update and whether or not he is seeing this new “feature”.

11.4.7 is thus far, worse than 11.4.4 in my limited opinion. Remember, I drive almost exclusively on rural high speed roads and in very small towns, so 11.4.7 may be a wonderful upgrade in other areas… just not for me.

Joe
Thanks for the feedback. Who could have possibly seen this coming, though, amirite? :rolleyes:

Joe
How does 11.4.7 react to traffic crossing the highway in front of you? 11.3.6 had a bad tendency to apply brakes after the cross traffic had cleared the lane well ahead of my car. 11.4.4 seemed to be more resistant to this.

Joe
Well, when Elon said 11.4.7 was mostly AI perhaps he meant AI Pacino, like in Scar Face. “Don’t toot your horn honey, you’re not that good.” “Say hello to my little friend!”

It applies the brakes well after the cross traffic has cleared the road, and when I hit the accelerator to stop its stupid behavior, it screams at me because it thinks I am going to hit the other car.

How does 11.4.7 react to traffic crossing the highway in front of you? 11.3.6 had a bad tendency to apply brakes after the cross traffic had cleared the lane well ahead of my car. 11.4.4 seemed to be more resistant to this.